Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenactment Pics

Gene

Practically Family
Just a couple of pics.

n6820481_48102120_3113.jpg

2859_902312910599_6820481_50755216_8331706_n.jpg

4787_926939209299_6820481_51894491_4883056_n.jpg

p51

One Too Many
Snapshot of me from Saturday, actually writing a magazine article for the Normandy event at Ft Stevens (Oregon), not far from where a 5-inch shell from the Japanese sub I-25 struck the coastal artillery fort in 1942. I am currently editing my article for WW2 re-enactors Magazine...
PressTableFtStevens09-1.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Also posted in the Steamer Trunk section with more shots from the Geneseo Airshow, here is a shot taken of me in front of my tent. Despite the odd colour, It's supposedly British military. The tent came to me with this history: It was "liberated" from a Brit military warehouse at the end of the war by one of the crew assigned to burn the contents of the warehouse.
Any British tent experts out there?
Geneseo09197.jpg

Annandamide

New in Town
detpic6.jpg

detpic5.jpg

This is us last year at the Militery Odessey show in Kent. We were reenacting a cafe in Sicily. This year we will be doing a port in Northern Africa, which should be fun.

Gene

Practically Family
murena said:
hey gene,

very nice pictures!!!
how did you made the first picture? it looks like original from WW2 :eusa_clap

murena

That's the magic of Photoshop! Really all I do to age photos is get a border from an original, take the new photo in and crop it, adjust the color, brightness, contrast, etc. With a little playing around it's not that hard!

klind65

One of the Regulars
Question

Hello. May I pose a question? I have heard for years now about WW2 re-enactments. As I prefer past eras I am always looking for ways to "go back in time" and really bring the past to life, so to speak. Are re-enactments the answer? I know next to nothing about them. Are they a celebration of war or of the era? I mean, I want to experience the social customs and riturals, say a typical day or evening on the town, etc... not at all interested in fighting or war. Perhaps I have the wrong ideas about what they are. Would anyone care to enlighten me about the re-enactments? What role do females play in a re-constructed war? I don't know if this is "classified" information, but previous queries I have made have met with silence. Well, anyway, I welcome any information that members in the know may care to share. Kind wishes, klind65

cco23i

A-List Customer
Klind,
Our unit recreates a army air force aircraft maintenance section, there is no "celebrating war" we are trying to preserve a unknown section of the military. Everytime you go to an airshow you probably see a bunch of pilots and either a few or no aircraft mechanics and such, we are trying to bring to light a little know arena of the airbases of WW2. If you get into a unit that is full of historians who stay in character and educate you will have a good time.

Scott

Gene

Practically Family
klind65 said:
Hello. May I pose a question? I have heard for years now about WW2 re-enactments. As I prefer past eras I am always looking for ways to "go back in time" and really bring the past to life, so to speak. Are re-enactments the answer? I know next to nothing about them. Are they a celebration of war or of the era? I mean, I want to experience the social customs and riturals, say a typical day or evening on the town, etc... not at all interested in fighting or war. Perhaps I have the wrong ideas about what they are. Would anyone care to enlighten me about the re-enactments? What role do females play in a re-constructed war? I don't know if this is "classified" information, but previous queries I have made have met with silence. Well, anyway, I welcome any information that members in the know may care to share. Kind wishes, klind65

As Scott said, it is not a celebration of war, but of the extraordinary deeds of the ordinary men and women of our country during that period of time. At many reenactments, you will find lots of folks doing civilian impressions of the era in addition to the military reenactors. It's all about immersing yourself in that period of time and honoring those that did so much for us!

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Its a way to keep the memories of those whose lives were cut too short, and for those who survived with the memories of those whose lives were cut too short. We don't glamorize war...we attempt to show what it was like not only for the public but to ourselves. There are times when reenactors especially GIs...get a glimpse of how it actually was...and you get scared. For some its for keeping the memory alive, there are 100s of reasons why a person reenacts.

For me on a personal level its a deep seeded need I guess to learn and to keep the memory of my veteran relatives alive. I grew tired of hearing kids my age not know anything of WWII and basically pigeon hole it to a video game or Saving Private Ryan.
For examples of these experiences please check out Most Realistic Moments in Reenacting

klind65

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
Its a way to keep the memories of those whose lives were cut too short, and for those who survived with the memories of those whose lives were cut too short. We don't glamorize war...we attempt to show what it was like not only for the public but to ourselves. There are times when reenactors especially GIs...get a glimpse of how it actually was...and you get scared. For some its for keeping the memory alive, there are 100s of reasons why a person reenacts.

For me on a personal level its a deep seeded need I guess to learn and to keep the memory of my veteran relatives alive. I grew tired of hearing kids my age not know anything of WWII and basically pigeon hole it to a video game or Saving Private Ryan.
For examples of these experiences please check out Most Realistic Moments in Reenacting
Thank you for the information. I now have a better idea. I also want to compliment you on your personal quote about chivalrous behavior. It is a choice today, but I think that by and large, at least among the upper classes of the past, it was de riguere and learned by little boys growing up. Additionally, there was social opprobrium leveled at those who behaved as cads (whereas today, misbehavior is lauded). At some point society as a whole lost the pursuit of a common ideal - that of being one's best - a lady or a gentleman, respectively. Now, the anti-hero and the rebel are idealized. I repudiate this and feel that there should be a return to the former viewpoint. Care to comment? Kind wishes, klind65

klind65

One of the Regulars
Gene said:
As Scott said, it is not a celebration of war, but of the extraordinary deeds of the ordinary men and women of our country during that period of time. At many reenactments, you will find lots of folks doing civilian impressions of the era in addition to the military reenactors. It's all about immersing yourself in that period of time and honoring those that did so much for us!
Thank you for your reply. I notice that you are in Louisville. That is my hometown! Are there many people in Louisville who attend reenactments, or simply folks who are enthusiasts of bygone eras - to the best of your knowledge? Kind wishes, klind65

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
klind65 said:
Thank you for the information. I now have a better idea. I also want to compliment you on your personal quote about chivalrous behavior. It is a choice today, but I think that by and large, at least among the upper classes of the past, it was de riguere and learned by little boys growing up. Additionally, there was social opprobrium leveled at those who behaved as cads (whereas today, misbehavior is lauded). At some point society as a whole lost the pursuit of a common ideal - that of being one's best - a lady or a gentleman, respectively. Now, the anti-hero and the rebel are idealized. I repudiate this and feel that there should be a return to the former viewpoint. Care to comment? Kind wishes, klind65

I agree entirely, the days of a man being courteous and considerate not only to women in his family but to strangers seem to be gone. Much like the vintage eras that are spoken of here. But, that being said there are still gentelman in the world to counterbalance the jerks. Especially in the vintage community, the behavior of the gentelman is very pronounced its kind of a sub-culture.

cco23i

A-List Customer
A couple years ago I was going into a building and held the door for a lady and she stopped and commented to me, "I'm glad to see Chivalry isn't dead", and I responded, "I hope not ma'am". Then of course a couple more times I have been yelled at for being "demeaning" for holding a door open. I still am polite and courtious as my parents taught me!:D

Scott

Davep

One of the Regulars
In Poland, how do people view the German Reenactors? Do they have a problem, with polish citizens dressing as German Soldiers?

Davep

One of the Regulars
klind65 said:

Are reenactment a way to go back in time?
The majority of WW2 reenactors particapate in three types of events
- Private Tactical Battles
- Public Living History Events - Encampment where do a lot of Q&A with the publick
- Community Events - Parade, Airshows, etc
So as a group reenactors don't do so to go back in time to bring the past back to life in a make believe sort of way. Reenactors all have a basic interest in WW2 Military history from one angle or another, whether that be armor, weapons, historical events, collecting militeria etc.

For the most part reenactments are a way for reenactors to see and hear WW2 battles. And to handle and use WW2 equipment in action. rather than reading it from a book or seeing it in a movie.

Also in the case of World War II Reenacting, there is very little reenactment of a battle. reenacting really applies to Civil War. WW2 reenactments are not stage battles or recreations. WW2 Reenactments are basically random skirmishs between several fighting units out in the countryside.

I mean, I want to experience the social customs and riturals, say a typical day or evening on the town
Reenactors do the same, in appreciating the weather conditions, the food, the having to deal with dated equipment, clothing and weapon mechanics.

What role do females play in a re-constructed war? Both the Allied and German sides have Medical Reenactment units. There are pictures in this section fo the fedora lounge

Bottomline WW2 reenactors attempt to walk in the average soldier or nurse shoes. We realize and appreicate we are only getting one slice of the experience, separate from the war itself. There is no way for us to have a realistic experience, only to have part of their experience, using the same equipment and some of the confusion of war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot