Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII responsible for death of pastel hats?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I ran across some interesting information during my continuing Cavanagh research that I thought might interest some of you.

Most of the fur used for hats by the U.S. hat industry came from rabbits in France, Belgium, Poland, Czechoslovakia, and other Central European countries. By 1941, only England and Russia were supplying the U.S. with fur, for obvious reasons.

This scarcity caused the hat companies to raise their prices accordingly. Stetson, raised the prices of Stratoliners and heavyweight Playboys by fifty cents each, along with their premier line. Knox and Dobbs went up by fifty cents each as well. Seems small to us, but that was a big jump at the time. Low-end hats were increased, with hats that sold for $1.95 being increased by fifty cents a dozen, and the $2.95 - $3.95 hats went up $1.50 per dozen.

What does this have to do with pastel hats? Pastel hats were popular with men throughout the Twenties and Thirties, but pretty well disappeared after that. In 1941, hat companies discontinued their lower-priced pastel hats because they could no longer obtain the necessary quantities of white rabbit fur. The average joe was then unable to buy the lighter colored hats without spending a lot more money, which killed off much of the demand right away. While the gaiety of bright hats was fine during the Depression, the nation's somber mood once the U.S. entered the war effectively removed them from the scene. They could still be bought, at least through the Forties, but pastels never reclaimed the popularity they once had.

WWII was also when the hat companies experimented with casein and soy protein to make their fur go farther, and Hat Corporation of America developed the composite felt hat from Aralac.

Brad

budward

One of the Regulars
I think that's outrageously fascinating. So by pastel, what exactly are we talking? Blues and greens and yellows and shades of red or exactly what? And you know, part of the problem with understanding this must be the lack of more widespread color photography pre-war. Everything just looks shades of gray.

Bud

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
In todays terminology Bud, anything lighter than "natural" is considered a "pastel". I know, we think of blues, peaches, and light greens, but in reality so is silverbelly, silvermist, sahara, sand, mojave.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the colors are hard to tell. From B&W photos and films of the era, it's plain to see that very light-colored hats were popular, but the only real giveaway to colors is what is listed in catalogs and advertisements, and what few hats survived since then.

Brad

duggap

Banned
That decline of the hat topic is a very interesting one. In the end the truth may be that it was a combination of factors. I am sure the depression must have had some adverse effect on the industry. But manufacturing stats say production of hats starting declining as early as the 30s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo