Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII US Army and USAAF Dress Uniforms - Pinks and Greens

Sergei

Gone Home
Re: Pinks and Greens.

Originally posted by Wild Root
Anyone here like the uniforms of WWII?

Yeah, I do and especially AAF greens and officer pinks. I wouldn't getting a pair of officer pink trousers. What's a reasonable place t get them? Are there good replica places to save costs?

BTW, you do look period. You have that time-traveled look of the era.

-Sergei

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thank you guys! You are very kind! Well Sergei, it is actually cheaper to buy the originals! I have friends that have repros and they cost more. Plus, they have some poly in the blends. There are good repros out there, but they will cost you big ones!!! The only thing that can be hard about finding the original is, size and condition.

Next time your up around this neck of the woods, I could recommend a place. Try looking at Kiser Bill?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s in Pomona or Red Star Military in Culver City. Even eBay has stuff once and a wile. It took me some time to get it all together. But, tell me your size and I might have some leads for you!

I am always happy to help out others find stuff!

Take care and thanks for looking!

Ball park prices of repro uniforms.

Tunic: in the 150-250.

Pants: 150:

Shirt: 60-100.

Originals:

Tunic in good con. 50-70

Pants: 40-60

Shirt: 20-40.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hummmmm

You remind me of my twin brother who has an EXTENSIVE collection of authentic military A-2's, uniforms, hats. Books of all WWII, plane manuals, B-17 training manuals....cripes..he has it all.

He went to Livermore Airport a few years back. There was a man dressed like you in those photos, acting as a docent on the B-24 which the Confederate Air Force flew in to give rides in.

My brother spent some time talking with the man, listening to the war stories .. He asked the man where his cap was. The uniform was incomplete you see. The man said he had some how lost it or whatever.

Then next day, my brother flew back in his Cessna to Livermore, and the same man was agian there greeting tourists to the B-24. My brother went over to the man, opened the bag he was carrying, and gave the man a mint uniform cap, with emblem. The man cried, and tried to somehow pay my brother.

My brother refused, and told the man "Your generation, and you, sir, have already given so much. I could never repay you, so this hat is my way of saying to you "thankyou" for the great service you gave to this country, and for giving me the freedom I enjoy."

This is a TRUE STORY.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Andy that is a good story! I really enjoy stories like that. Your brother sounds like a very gracious guy! A hat is a small price to pay for all that our vets have done for us. It is so true that there isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t much that we can give back to our veterans for their sacrifice for our freedom! It is sad that some people today don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t pay the respect to our vets of WWII, Korea, or Nom.

I have a story I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d like to share.
I was at Union Station in LA waiting for a group of friends to show up to catch a WWII train. This train is just an Amtrak that goes from LA to San Diego with two restored passenger cars from the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s at the end. Lots of fun! But, the man who owns them needed guys and gals to sit around in uniforms of the period and tell the paying guests more about the war.

So, I was sitting there in Union Station in my Pinks and Greens minding my own business when an older gentleman comes right up to me and asks: Are those REAL Pinks and Greens?? I said, yes! And he said that he hasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t seen Pinks and Greens since he was an Officer stationed in Texas as a flight instructor fling B-17?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and B-29?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. So, he told me that the one thing that he really enjoyed about being an Officer was that he was allowed to go off base to a small diner that served the best strawberry milk shakes one could ever have! I laughed and said to the kind man that I really love strawberry milk shakes too! He laughed and said that I was just a younger version of himself. He asked me why I was dressed up and I told him about the train. He wanted right there to jump on and ride the train to see every one dressed up.

Well, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s one of my stories, not as cool as yours, but it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s mine.

Thanks again for sharing!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pinks and Greens photos, loved them!

Rob, loved the effort you went to in your pinks and greens. That pic looks like it was taken 60 years ago. It's great when folk like yourself go that extra mile for authenticity and you capture that era to a tee!

I do the same when it comes to getting gear, so often you can get originals for cheaper that repros. Better to feel the history!

One thing that really impressed me with your photos was the effort you put into getting that 1940's backdrop. That building is similar to hundreds of offices across the US in the late 30's and early 40's on USAAF bases. For me that was your piece-de-resistance!

Look forward to many more Rob, and thanks for sharing those! it really made my day.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Crusher for a veteran story...

That made my day reading that story. What a fine gesture on your part to give that veteran one of your AAF crushers. I could not think of a finer home, nor gesture of gratitude.

We often have to remind ourselves that inside an 80-year-old shell, burns the heart of an 18-year-old lion...

Thanks for that moving story.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rob, what do you think of the Aero A-2?

A little accessory to the pinks & greens. This is a repro Aero A-2 (from Aero in Scotland, not BEACON NY).
FYI, it is in their oil pulled horse hide, and just rocks my boat. The weight, the colour, the vintage feel just takes me back 60 years! This was taken in the snow last winter and it is a hell of a lot more beaten up now. I even do the gardening in it!
Just is you had been thinking of treating yourself, it's another option for you to consider!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That oil pulled horsehide is absolutely gorgeous!

I think that Patterson was talking about it a long while back. He really liked it as well.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah Paddy, that is a good looking coat! Right now my cash is tied up in Rent and paying off and keeping my 1946 Plymouth on the road. So, it's going to be some time till I can afford to pick up a nice A-2.

But, yes that's a nice looking coat and they will be on my list to consider.

Cheers.

PS. here is a nice photo of some of the boys that flew these craft in their coats. My hat will always come off to our vets!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
The AAF is the peek of my interest in the golden era, I love the uniforms, from pinks and greens to A-2's and crushers. I love crushers, it is my favorite peice of AAF gear. I have owned several originals, I only have two at the moment, one repro and one original - mint. If I had the money to spend at will, you can bet there would be more AAF gear repro and vintage pooring into my home than any other. That story is truely touching, that just warms my heart to the core, I wish I could have been there to share that moment.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pinks & Greens

Great looking photos. Just like 'being there'! I love that uniform. I've got the Greens and the Summer Khakis. I'd love to show off mine. May I post a few? Anybody else got self-portraits to exhibit?....I'd love to see 'em!! -dixon cannon

UniformsOD.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dixon Cannon said:
Great looking photos. Just like 'being there'! I love that uniform. I've got the Greens and the Summer Khakis. I'd love to show off mine. May I post a few? Anybody else got self-portraits to exhibit?....I'd love to see 'em!! -dixon cannon

UniformsOD.jpg

Nice set of greens there Dixon. Check the WWII GALLERY to see photos of other members who belong to this room.

I was very nearly getting a pair of heavy wool green pants to go with my officer's low quarter shoes. But I do like the 'contrast' between the pink trousers and the dark chocolate shirt. Just looks so 'sharp.'

Any more 'self pics' to show the pink and chocolates (sounds like a dish!) and I'll load them up from here to the gallery too!! can't do better than that.

I love it when an oldie thread gains new life again!!

Doc.Freddy

New in Town
great uniform

Hey Rob
Your uniform is out standing and it would pass my inspection. if i had the money i would buy it in a second. My personal favorite is the chocolets. the army should have never gotten ride of them. Insted they got rid of the Ike jacket and they replaced it with the ugly vomit green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy