Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII US Army and USAAF Dress Uniforms - Shirts and Ties

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
All personnel not specifically authorized to wear breeches will wear trousers. Personnel authorized to wear breeches may wear trousers when not on duty requiring them to be mounted.
After the horse cavalry was dispensed with (and it lasted till at least 1945, at least in a few stateside units), Patton's armored were probably the only ones still wearing breeches. Until 1937 all officers wore them, cavalry or not, and all enlisted wore them with puttees or leggings.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Shirt update...

Weston said:
Granted, the original post was beginning of last year – but any word on who was selling the NOS shirts and at what price? Any left? ;)
The eBay handle of the seller is smanz-boy. Not sure if he has any left or not. You might send him an email through eBay.

BTW, I have sold most of these shirts. Kept the Elbeco and the Eastman. The others didn't fit and I made a substantial profit on them. They were advertised in the classifieds for a while here on the FL.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
You are correct, sir...

Fletch said:
I swear I've seen quite a few aircrew pix with officers in pink pants and flight jackets - in front of planes, thus on-base.
... I should have said in the "field" and not "on base." The regulations applied to the regular Army + USAAF and I have seen lots of photos "on base" with USAAF pilots in pink trousers and either chocolate tunics or A-2s.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Ben_Affleck_og_Josh__98014o.jpg

ben_affleck4.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
Has anyone tried the trousers from either WPG or Eastman? The last pair of chocolate officers trousers on E-Bay in anything remotely near my size (modern 34-34, more like a period 36-34) went for over $120. For that much I'll buy the repro- besides, I always feel nervous in 60 year old originals, worried about destroying them somehow.
Cheers
Mark

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Until 1937 all officers wore (breeches), cavalry or not, and all enlisted wore them with puttees or leggings.
I've since seen pix indicating that the Air Corps began wearing long trou earlier - for flying at least. (Hmm, you'd think that was the place you wouldn't want them.)

A1wearingpilots.jpg

A1wearinggroupofpilots.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
comparison between two shades of "pinks"

Here's another good color comparison. Two shades of O.D. number 53 and one of number 51. Note how pink the shirt is compared to the trousers- i dind't realize they were so pronounced. BTW the shirt is a 16.5X35 (my size) and is quite snug, but still comfortable.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN2385.jpg

DSCN2392.jpg

WW2XL

New in Town
Pink Shirts

Hi,

I've been collecting since the mid sixties when you could find the stuff mint in surplus stores. I've never had nor seen a pink shirt ( had them mint in 17 1/2-35; wish I kept them!!!) that exactly matched any pink trousers. I actually think the wide variation in makers of trousers and shirts guarantees you'll never have top and bottom match. I don't believe they were intended to match as the heavy weight elastique (trousers) takes on a different hue than the gabardine twill (shirts).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy