Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Women.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Those Germans look mean.

Ya, dos nursen looken toughen! Ok, that's just real bad German :p

It's bad when even the nurses look like they could take you down! But, then again, they wanted to portray a tougher then thou attitude.

A Rosie Riveter shoot eh? Well, have you seen this Rosie Riveter pic from the cover of POST mag? I believe it's a Rockwell painting.

RosieTheRiveter.jpg

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
Hondo said:
Interesting poster, Germany, the nurse (looker) looks like a guy! :D
Wish I could as well, reenact, but I have serious hearing loss (it was that accident) its not an old age thing, I'd make a good standin once I get dress uniform, no combat.
Thanks to all for the neat pictures. You folks rock! ;)

Hondo,

We don't discriminate against disabilities, we even have reenactors who have lost limbs, etc. You can still participate in static displays, etc. If you want, I can hook you up with a group that's local to you.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
And really, hearing loss would be extra-authentic. Pretty much all men who are involved in the combat services for any length of time end up with it.

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
jitterbugdoll said:
Wow, I love that last photo Root--she's a looker!

I would be interested in reenacting, but I don't know of any local groups...it’s probably too hot for most people to go traipsing about in wool uniforms! Incidentally, despite the extreme heat, during WWII there was a training base for British pilots in Mesa (located about 10 minutes from where I currently live.)

Actually, We still hang out in our wools (or khakis or HBTs) regardless of the temperature. We figure -- if they G.I.'s did it...so should we. If you're interested, send me a PM and I can put you intouch with groups both in your area and in GA.

Troy

And to stay on topic, here's a bunch of photos I found on the Minnesota Historical Society website:

http://public.fotki.com/mlif/re-enactment_photos/wwii_paper_items/

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Sure, send me the names of a few groups!

We attended the WWII Weekend in Reading this June, which was my first experience with reenacting. The weather was terrible (cold and rainy), but I remember thinking that that only added to the authenticity of the weekend!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Do not listen to the capitalist American, comrade!

Come and join the Workers and Peasants Red Army and you will not be relagated to dancing in USO shows or washing laundry! We in the glorious Red Army do not discriminate against our female comrades. We will issue you a rifle and send you to the front to fight the hated Hitlerite invaders. Or you can even be a fighter pilot!

Go ahead, ask the capitalist American if he will let you kill any Hitlerites. We all know the answer. Join us, comrade and you will get all the cabbage soup you can eat!

swp_586th_500.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
Biltmore Bob said:
Them Germans women are mean looking, but them Russian gals are just plain ugly.

Now now there comrade my capitalist American friend you may need fields plowed, good female tracker driver available no?
Russians have under gone great change in woman, why look no further than Mila Jovovich, and Anna Kournikova ;) Any one of those can plow my field :cheers1:

Hondo

One Too Many
indieflmkr said:
Hondo,

We don't discriminate against disabilities, we even have reenactors who have lost limbs, etc. You can still participate in static displays, etc. If you want, I can hook you up with a group that's local to you.

Indieflmkr:
Hey Thanks alot, cool, reminds my of Red Buttons in the film, "The Longest Day" Bells! Ding, dong, ding dong! LOL
I'll keep that in mind, reenactment :cheers1:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This beautiful girl who gave her young life for freedom...

This girl next door image, belies the fact that this young girl was a very brave agent working with British Intelligence to free France from the grip of the Nazi occupation...
violetteszabopage81.gif

Violette Szabo joined the Special Operations Executive in 1943 (British equivalent of OSS, all the secret stuff to set Europe alight, as Churchill promised when he created a mandate to set SOE up). Violette Szabo's code-name was 'Corrinne'. Her first SOE mission was in April 1944 and in July 1944, Szabo was landed by Lysander to spy on the closed zone around the Atlantic Wall. Szabo returned to Britain via Lysander in June 1944.

Look at this gorgeous girl, guys, wouldn't you be proud to have her on your arm as you waltz into the Waldorf or Claridges in London! isn't she a honey, the girl next door, your sister maybe! yet this rather English girl who loved to stomp at the Savoy was a very professional, patriotic agent, working under dangerous circumstances in occupied France.
violetteszabo1944.gif

Violette Szabo was born in June 1921 to an English father and a French mother. She spent her early childhood in Paris but later moved to London where she went to school at the Brixton Secondary School. She left school at the age of 14 and started to work as a hairdresser's assistant. After this job, she worked at the Oxford Street branch of Woolworth's as a sales assistant.

Just love at the life and 'joie de vivre' in that smile of hers. As you can see, I have a soft spot for Violet and the many hats she wore during the war. It makes it all the sadder to know how things ended for this beautiful women, with so much to give and so much ahead of her...
violetteszabopage82.gif

She married a captain in the Free French Army in 1940 but he was killed in action in the North Africa campaign. Szabo received a letter from a 'Mr. E Potter' inviting her for an interview. At the interview, Potter suggested that her ability to speak French and her general knowledge of France would be of great advantage to his department. Szabo readily agreed to help. There were those in SOE who did not believe that she had the correct temperament to succeed. They were also concerned that her French accent was too English to fool the Germans. However, she was accepted for training and after passing this, she was parachuted into France in April 1944. Szabo had been given the task of helping the French Resistance try to re-constitute a group in Rouen. This required her traveling from Rouen to Paris on a regular basis - but within six weeks she had succeeded in her mission and she returned to London.

violetteetienne18burnley.gif

On June 7th, 1944, Szabo was parachuted in Limoges. Her task was to co-ordinate the work of the French Resistance in the Limoges area in the initial days after D-Day. She was captured by the SS 'Das Reich' Panzer Division and handed over to the Gestapo in Paris for interrogation. From Paris, Violette Szabo was sent to Ravensbruck concentration camp where she was executed in January 1945. She was posthumously awarded the George Cross and the Croix de Guerre.
violetteszabopage84.gif

Violet gave her life so that we, and many like us, may live ours...
violetteandroy.gif

riccardo

Practically Family
...italian people remember it too...

Good morning,
my little share from Italy...i live in Sicily, and near here, in Cassibile on the 5 September 1943 was signed the armistice between Italy and Allied Force.
Cassibile is far from here only 15 Km. and in this date there is a great celebration.
Womenatwork.jpg

Ok, in the picture there are some Californian women working at the Douglas fabric in California. They were cleaning aeroplane's fusebage.

Sincerely.

Riccardo.

missjo

Practically Family
Also dont forget the countless women involved in the resistance in occupied countries, fighting, shooting, blowing up trains but also being couriers, spies, etc.

missjo

Practically Family
Patrick said:
One of those couriers later becoming the late famous actress Audery Hepburn. Right Miss Joeri?

P.

Im not sure, I know her familymembers were involved in the resistance and I know Audrey organized dance-performances to collect money for the resistance.
Not sure about her being a courier.
She was only 16 when the war ended.

D

Deleted member 259

I love hearing stories and seeing pictures of these brave women!

I don't know the full story - but my grandmother's Aunt was a spy for the IRA in Ireland (not to derail the WWII thread, but its relevant).
She and her friends would bike right through the streets like they were out for a ride, when really - she had letters pinned into the curls of her hair!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24