Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

X-mas in May/Jacket Bio

Damo

A-List Customer
Hello everyone,

I received my Vanson Chopper and JL custom jackets last night. First off I would like to thank everyone who has offered advice and suggestions along the way.

Vanson Chopper

This jacket took some trial and error. I originally ordered a medium and a large and didn't like how either of them fit so I set them back and worked with Constantine to put together an "inbetween" size. BTW Constantine was great to work with, he has been very helpful along the way even with rushing the shipping of the jacket. So what I ended up with was a mash up of sizes.

Chest size - Large
Jacket Length - Large
Sleeve Length - Large
Waist - Medium

I don't have much experience with leather jackets but this is one bad ass moto jacket. I really like the look of it and it feels like armour. I am surprised at how shiny the leather is and also how crunchy/stiff it is. I am aware that this will change as it breaks and I'm looking forward to the process. Regarding the fit I probably could have gone with a smaller waist but I still have a notch to play with if I want it tighter. It is a little on the long side when riding as it pushes up into my helmet but I really like the length of it off the bike. I'm hoping that as the jacket breaks it won't push up when riding.

I noticed that a couple of threads are pulling in some of the quilted stitching but I'm okay with that. Overall I'm really happy with the this jacket. I plan on using this strictly as a moto jacket.

Johnson Leather

I'm really really happy with this jacket. I wanted this to be more of a casual jacket that I could also ride with if needed. I mimicked an aero sheene style with this jacket. Originally I wanted to have hidden snaps on the collar (for riding) but from photos the hidden snaps weren't all that hidden so I decided against them. I think I will be removing a lot of the leather pulls as I don't like the looks of them. Regarding the process, Alan sent out a cloth mock-up and we went from there. Took a couple inches off the chest, waist, sleeve length and width. Of my 3 jackets this is the best fitting of them all and Alan nailed the fit on the first attempt. This may be stating the obvious here but for me the fit of any clothing is what makes it work. I don't think I will buy a jacket off the rack without being able to try it on first. Who knows this may change as I am starting to know what measurements work for me.

As a lot of you already know but it needs to said again Alan is fantastic to work with and makes a killer jacket! This is the heaviest of my 3 leather jackets and it will take some time to break in as well. K so here are some of the details

4.25 ounce black over dye
brown stitching
brown quilted lining
2-way front zipper
antique brass hardware
one inside pocket
handwarmer pockets are lined with what feels like the rough out version of leather. I'm haven't asked Alan what he used but it feels really durable
zipped sleeves

Here is a link to the photos, hopefully it works as this is my first attempt with Photo Bucket.

http://s571.photobucket.com/user/Damo141/library/?sort=3&page=1

Also in this album are some photos of my schott 141 after a couple months of wear.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Damo,

Congrats on two great jackets. The Chopper is really a killer jacket for its price point, I used to own one and moved it along but not because of quality or leather issues, I just never felt right in mine. My other Vanson, a Model B, has really softened up, lost much of its shininess and stopped pushing on the bike up as soon as the jacket was supple enough to start flexing. As you say, Vanson competition weight feels more like "gear" than anything else.

Your JL is really stunning, great fit and that over-dye black with brown stitching is one of my favorite combinations seen on TFL. I'm glad it's 80 degrees out, it's the only thing keeping me from ordering from Alan right now.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
very nice custom jacket, I also find dual zipper is ideal for longer jacket to be functional, the vanson looks very tapered indeed

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Damo,

The jackets look great. Hope you don't mind, while I was looking at them I thought I'd just sort out posting a few of the links for you. If you dont want them here, just let me know and I'll remove this post.

Edward

Bartender
Vanson look great. I am well tempted by the idea of one of their Perfecto styles, perhaps in a year or two....

They are perfection. You got the best taste in jackets, these three styles is all I'd ever need. Can't decide which one fits you better, which is good. Could you please tell me, what's the length on the JL and the Chopper?

Damo

A-List Customer
They are perfection. You got the best taste in jackets, these three styles is all I'd ever need. Can't decide which one fits you better, which is good. Could you please tell me, what's the length on the JL and the Chopper?

Thanks Monitor,

I still feel the need to add a d-pocket brown fqhh aero, and lost worlds speed demon to my stable and a thunderbay and and and.....

Front length from base of collar is 22.25", back from base of collar is 24.5". Chopper front length is 22' and back 27'. I took these measurements by hand and the back of the chopper seems long but i measured to lowest point of it (it dips down in the middle). I prefer jacket lengths that just cover my belt. I'm 5'11' 185lbs with chicken legs. Hope this info helps

Last edited:

Damo

A-List Customer
Vanson look great. I am well tempted by the idea of one of their Perfecto styles, perhaps in a year or two....

Yes as Pawinee mentioned you great value for your money with Vanson. Their highwayman looks great!!

Damo

A-List Customer
@ Protein,

I don't mind at all except after looking at these pics I feel like its time for a haircut!!! My mother in law and wife will have to thank you for this. Thanks for posting them on the thread.

Damo

A-List Customer
Damo,

Congrats on two great jackets. The Chopper is really a killer jacket for its price point, I used to own one and moved it along but not because of quality or leather issues, I just never felt right in mine. My other Vanson, a Model B, has really softened up, lost much of its shininess and stopped pushing on the bike up as soon as the jacket was supple enough to start flexing. As you say, Vanson competition weight feels more like "gear" than anything else.

Your JL is really stunning, great fit and that over-dye black with brown stitching is one of my favorite combinations seen on TFL. I'm glad it's 80 degrees out, it's the only thing keeping me from ordering from Alan right now.

Thanks Pawinee,

I feel like the chopper is one bad ass looking moto jacket. You're right about the price point. Johnson Leathers also has a great price point for custom jackets and this 4.25 ounce black over dye also feels like armour. Its going to be tough to break it in but I'm really curious to see if I can get some of the brown undertones to show. I'm going to put it on while surfing the web....

Thanks Monitor,

I still feel the need to add a d-pocket brown fqhh aero, and lost worlds speed demon to my stable and a thunderbay and and and.....

Front length from base of collar is 22.25", back from base of collar is 24.5". Chopper front length is 22' and back 27'. I took these measurements by hand and the back of the chopper seems long but i measured to lowest point of it (it dips down in the middle). I prefer jacket lengths that just cover my belt. I'm 5'11' 185lbs with chicken legs. Hope this info helps

It helps, and I agree, the jacket shouldn't go over the beltline.

Can I also recommend at least one Lewis Leathers piece no leather jacket collection should be without? Something classic, like the Bronx, for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24