Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yesterday's Forgotten

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
snapshotskk3.jpg

Snapshots of an era gone by. The people: their moments, their stories, and their lives are all too fleeting. Then it's all over and forgotten for the most part. Only but a few highlights are frozen forever in old photographs that tell us of what was once their stories. But who are they? For they were only discovered through auction houses and/ or flea markets. Whatever happened to the next of kin and/ or relatives of these forgotten people who've discarded them?

And why am I as a total stranger to these people, value them as if for sentimental attachment? Ever since I've acquired my first batch of them accidentally when I won a vintage photo album at Ebay, I was hooked. Now I just want to collect them (especially the pre-1950's era). These photographs for some reason speaks to me in a more reflective manner as they are haunting echoes of the past. Their era in which I wasn't born into, makes this all the more special why I value them so much.

VintageRed

Familiar Face
It's interesting to me as well that such wonderful photos/albums are no longer in the custody of a family member. My grandmother has stacks of photos and it's always fun when I go to see her and she drags them all out and we get to pick over them again. I can't imagine not keeping them after she's no longer with us.

I don't think people have the same attachment to their family trees and roots as much as they used to. Heck, most people don't even care for their own parents when they're elderly. Off to a nursing home they go! It makes it hard to teach your own children about ancestry if you don't value it yourself.

In any event, it's nice that there are people out there like yourself who continue to cherish that captured moment of another person's life and give it the warm attention it so rightly deserves.

Cheers,

~Danielle

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
VintageRed said:
I don't think people have the same attachment to their family trees and roots as much as they used to. Heck, most people don't even care for their own parents when they're elderly. Off to a nursing home they go! It makes it hard to teach your own children about ancestry if you don't value it yourself.

In any event, it's nice that there are people out there like yourself who continue to cherish that captured moment of another person's life and give it the warm attention it so rightly deserves.

Cheers,

~Danielle

Thank you Danielle. It makes me sad that most of today's generation (but not all) are just living for the "now". In this age of information where instant access to everyone is the norm, who's got time for the past? Or as you've mentioned how they're inconvenienced by aging parents that they send them off to nursing homes. I think nursing homes are very impersonal and dry. Too far from those whom you really love in your last days is truly sad. The facts are painful indeed, but this is just the American trend. In other countries (or even a few minority here), they take in their parents and care for them until they pass away. I personally think that this should be carried on by their children, even as a form of gratitude. For where would we be today without them? [huh]

VintageRed

Familiar Face
I totally agree.

I happen to be very close with my mother, and my grandmother for that matter, so I would absolutely bring them to my home to care for them, no matter how "inconvenient" it may be. How inconvenient are small children? Lord, I pray for days when I can do my marketing w/o a 2 year old in tow. LOL. I definitely believe in returning the favor to my parent when they're elderly. I can't even imagine putting my mom in some home where I have no idea who's taking care of her, if they're even being nice for that matter....

Oh, the thought just makes me cringe.

Extended families are the only way things get passed from generation to generation. Here's to hoping people take what's good from the past and make it part of the mainstream again....

~D.

Foofoogal

Banned
You should see the carefully put together 1930s Wedding Album with real birth certificate and all. If I ever figure out how to download Adobe again I will show it.
Amazing. I spent alot of money trying to find the kin and ended at a dead end. It cost me $5.00 at a flea mkt. and it is unreal. It was in a pile and i mean pile of junk.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I know what you mean exactly.

I've become the family history preserver for my paternal side of the family, as no one else really cares. I've even created a website so that extended family (which is HUGE and scattered) can connect and learn about our ancestors with the convenience of the internet. I haven't had much participation on the site by others, but everyone sure tells me at family gatherings what a great job I'm doing and that they're so happy I've taken this on, etc. I want to say, if you're so happy about this, get your butt to the website and contribute! :p

Take a look if you're interested, it's in the form of a message board but I've added several old photos in the threads of different family members which I think are just amazing.

www.hirdfamily.proboards57.com

I still have a lot of work to do on the site but I wish others in my family cared about preserving the past as much as I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner