Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Edward

Bartender
Just why are all the girls jumping up and down..?? ..Don't get it...
HD

The form of dance is the pogo, indeed, as Standby pointed out above. Further to that, Top of the Pops, the TV show from which this clip was taken (actually, it seems this particular one is a clip of Top of the Pops 2, the retrospective compilation version, hence the additional, superimposed text), was well known for having a strict policy on audience dancing. While a wide range of dancing styles, including the pogo, were permitted, the audience were not allowed to appear on camera unless they were dancing to whichever performer was "playing" at the time (I say "playing" as throughout the show's entire run they refused to allow anyone to perform completely live. Musicians always mimed, while only in latter years were vocalists allowed to sing live rather than lip synch). Additionally, the public area was towards the back, and most of the people you ever saw on camera in the show's heyday were paid dancers. Needless to say, many credible musicians, including the Clash, refused to appear on the programme, though others did and took the opportunity to poke fun at it, satirsing its santised blandness in various ways.

Have you ever found yourself looking through the CD racks to see if there might be a big band compilation album?
You see a modern music CD entitled So & So's Greatest Hits, and you think: "Who?"

I dropped out of mainstream entertainment when I was fourteen. Don't listen to commercial radio, nor Radio 1 (or Radio 2, which these days seems to be all the drivel that drove me away from Radio 1 in 1991), nor do I watch any mainstream pop music on television. What you're describing is the story of my adult life. Those few mainstream pop music products of which I have heard have been because they've been in the paper donig something daft or on a billboard on the tube. On the rare occasions I am subjected to such stuff, my life is typically confirmed as the richer for this ignorance.

Apparently this originated from the fact that when punk started, the bands performed in small clubs/pubs without stages, and the Pogo was started by people jumping up and down to try and see the band.

Romanticised, but that's pretty much it. Add in the excitement of punk rock in what had become an incredibly stale music scene by late '76, the natural urge to move to music, and how tight packed those crowds were, the only way to dance was to go up... and down. Ahh.... I've pogoed, stage-dived and crowd surfed with the best of 'em, but alas I think it'd kill me now to keep that pace up all night.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
(I say "playing" as throughout the show's entire run they refused to allow anyone to perform completely live. Musicians always mimed, while only in latter years were vocalists allowed to sing live rather than lip synch). Additionally, the public area was towards the back, and most of the people you ever saw on camera in the show's heyday were paid dancers. Needless to say, many credible musicians, including the Clash, refused to appear on the programme, though others did and took the opportunity to poke fun at it

Oh yes, I remember the Sex Pistols performing "Pretty Vacant"

Romanticised, but that's pretty much it. Add in the excitement of punk rock in what had become an incredibly stale music scene by late '76, the natural urge to move to music, and how tight packed those crowds were, the only way to dance was to go up... and down. Ahh.... I've pogoed, stage-dived and crowd surfed with the best of 'em, but alas I think it'd kill me now to keep that pace up all night.

You and me both :D

Stand By

One Too Many
Yup. I know I'm getting old these days when I have a hangover - or I just stay up all night watching TV until dawn (say, LOST on DVD) - and then it takes all the wind out of my sails and I feel tired for the rest of the week ! How rubbish is that ?!
Gone are the days when I could have a good session in the pub at the weekend and have shrugged it off come the start of the work week ... and when I used to imbibe 4/5 pints of good beer before I felt I was about to over-do anything ... now 2 does it. :(

Edward

Bartender
Oh yes, I remember the Sex Pistols performing "Pretty Vacant"

Yip, they appeared for that one and Anarchy in the UK (if memory serves, this was the "Woodstock! Get off your arse!" performance, of which you might have seen footage) as I recall. There should also have been an appearance for God Save the Queen, but as we all know The Powers That Be fiddled the charts that week to prevent it from hitting number one and having to be played on the show during Jubilee week, May 77... ;)

I used to imbibe 4/5 pints of good beer before I felt I was about to over-do anything ... now 2 does it. :(

Don't knock it - think of how much you're saving that can go into another jacket!

skydog757

A-List Customer
You know that you are old if you remember when drinking fountains in area parks were operated by a hand pump. Bonus points if it was just a hand pump with a tin cup on a chain for everyone to use.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We went to a really rather good, outoor event yesterday, called: "The Nostalgia Show," a three day event but we only have enough time to fit Saturday in.
Great though it was, you know you are getting old when you look forward to going home, just for a respite from the kids & dogs.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
When you are young and you hear that someone is giving a party you fear that you won't be invited. When you are old you fear that you will be invited.

You know you're getting old when you put on a little weight and/or start losing your hair, and the response from your overweight, balding male friends is, "Finally!" lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass