Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When you see a nice looking young lady, and for a second, you forget you are old!

Worst still, a young lady asks you to dance, and you think it's because you have that, improve with age look, like Cary Grant or George Clooney, only to find out that said young lady is so impressed by your years of dance experience, she's hoping that some of it will rub off on her. And how do I know? She asked my wife if she minded if she danced with her husband. (Sigh!)

You know you're getting old when you think of a good addition to this thread, but can't remember what it was hours later when you log into The Lounge. :eusa_doh: :frusty: [huh]

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
You know you're getting old when you think of a good addition to this thread, but can't remember what it was hours later when you log into The Lounge. :eusa_doh: :frusty: [huh]
Been there done that.
In fact, sometimes I've even written down my quips to some of the posts, so I don't forget them later in the day. :eusa_doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You mean chasing Puff the Magic Dragon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC2tlNmz4ao :laser::hippie:

You better not shoot at old Puff, he spits big flames!
47-banked_zps5bb86f3a.jpg

I remember being told that I knew a lot about old people stuff. And then I asked what exactly did he mean by "old people stuff" and this person said because I knew all about planes (I'm a big aviation buff)! I'm still not sure where he was coming from. :confused::eusa_doh:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know you're getting old when every entertainer you recognize is dead.

Have you ever found yourself looking through the CD racks to see if there might be a big band compilation album?
You see a modern music CD entitled So & So's Greatest Hits, and you think: "Who?"

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I remember being told that I knew a lot about old people stuff. And then I asked what exactly did he mean by "old people stuff" and this person said because I knew all about planes (I'm a big aviation buff)! I'm still not sure where he was coming from. :confused::eusa_doh:

Don't feel to bad! In the late 80s, when I was flying WWII airplanes at airshows, all the time, I would get young kids and early teenagers asking if I flew in the war. WWII that is, and I was only in my early 30s!

Stand By

One Too Many
Just why are all the girls jumping up and down..?? ..Don't get it...
HD

Man alive, I haven't heard that in decades !!! And I remember seeing it on the telly back then too! It's so much funnier now that I'm 47 and not 14 when that was shot ...! Those were the days when a novelty song like that could still get on the chart - and TOTP !

In answer to why the kids were jumping up and down HD, in 1981 Punk was still at its zenith in British popular culture (and is mentioned in the song along with skinheads, which too were in their heyday) and the dance of the punks was "the pogo" - performed by jumping up and down. If you wanted to look like you really knew how to pogo, one would twitch one's head to the side as though one was having a fit. Genius, I know. Hence the kids in the studio must have thought they were being rebels or just alternatively cool to "pogo" to Fred's ditty.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
the dance of the punks was "the pogo" - performed by jumping up and down.

Apparently this originated from the fact that when punk started, the bands performed in small clubs/pubs without stages, and the Pogo was started by people jumping up and down to try and see the band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael