You know you are getting old when:

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Apr 18, 2014.

1. ... when you're flipping through channels and land on PBS's airing of Fleetwood Mac's Reunion Concert (10 years after they last played live) and realize it was over 23 years ago (May of 1997).

Rmccamey likes this.
  2. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Getting old is just one body part after another saying: "Ha ha! You think that's bad, just watch this!"

Turnip and Zombie_61 like this.
  3. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

...you do a poo every morning at 07:00 but don’t wake up earlier than 08:00.

Edward, Zombie_61 and Ticklishchap like this.
  4. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

Trust you to lower the tone. ...

belfastboy and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

When you think about, that Clapton was only 56, back then!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Getting old takes a long time so it's best not to start too early.

Zombie_61 and Turnip like this.
  7. Trenchfriend

I don't like the thought of getting nearer and nearer to presbyopia-age and bi-focal glasses.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Hey, I was "only 56 back then" once. It was only a few years ago, but still... :D

Not everyone needs eyeglasses/bifocals/trifocals as they grow older. If you're already having vision issues you might need them someday, but it can't hurt to find a good optometrist near you and make an appointment for a general check-up now if you're concerned.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

What's even worse is being past that age, and you have two pairs of glasses and your eyes keep getting worse, and you end up having to actively decide if something in front of you is worth seeing or not.

On the other hand, there are advantages. I hardly ever bother to clean my house anymore, because if I can't see the dirt, it isn't there.

10. Trenchfriend

I actually got my constant -2,75 dioptrin, no other things.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My wife and I were driving at night in a rainstorm and she asked me..."can you see okay?". I replied..."No, but then these days I cannot see even during the day....most times I am driving either by memory or feel."....She was not impressed.

12. Trenchfriend

Other thing:

I never got a bone fracture. But I always heared, that the older you get, healing out fractures becomes worse and worse and you better avoid such shit.
    My parents reported me, that my 44 year old half-sister broke her left arm while bicycling, two days ago. She and hubby drove side by side and they accidentally got caught up on their handelbars and she plunged. Ouch!:confused:

13. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    That’s why I don’t ski. (Well, that and the expense. Have you seen what lift tickets cost these days?)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. Edward

Edward Bartender

I used to think mine were getting worse. Then we got a dog.... Jinkies, for all Mimi is the sweetest, most adorable ten year old poodlecross you could ever hope to miss - and so prissy with it, so clean shedoes'nt even like to walk on wet grass, she'll take the path every time - the gas her hindquarters can produce on occasion is wholly within the Silent Killer category.

Over here it seems to have two meanings - there's the "top 40" type branding as you say, and then there's 'pop' as a genre, which seems almost to stand as a photographic negative of 'punk rock', punk being the alternative rock and roll, pop being bloodless, mainstream conformism.

Now that's pop as opposed to punk.

It's funny how the Gap has become a byword for bland conformity, given its whole point of origin was the 'generation gap', providing an alternative for the young. Somewhere Karl Marx and Lenin are looking at each other and nodding. ;)

At least you didn't wrap him round your head and try to pass him off as a covid mask... https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-54163293

Me neither - though I'm told I'll need em in a year or two. Bummer. At least I can still see...

Ha. I had an arcaheology professor who used to lecture with a pair of glasses in each hand, one distance, one resadin,g and be forever flipping between the two.

15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I'm sorry to hear of your sister's injury, and I hope she heals fully and without too much discomfort. Yeah, breaking a bone or three usually hurts, and as we get older any injuries we incur take longer to heal. But if you're going to go through life worrying about what might happen you may as well find a very tall building and take a swan dive off of the roof now. My suggestion is to take reasonable precautions, but more importantly to live and enjoy your life.

"Bland conformity". That's spot on!

Edward and belfastboy like this.
  16. That's me. I have fixed distance glasses for working on the computer and bifocals for the rest of it. I notice it when I get up and don't switch to my "walking around glasses" and vice-versa. I'm also dealing with a weakening of my eye muscles and am working my way to being cross-eyed. Prisms in both lenses have corrected it so far, but I see some eye surgery in my future. The prisms have an odd side-effect of giving me different depth perception across the color range. I can see a highway patrol's red/blue flashing lights up the road and they appear to be quite distant from each other. I'm just happy they are up the road and not in my rear-view mirror.

Zombie_61, Edward and Trenchfriend like this.
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

Here's the best of it - over here, the hipsters have largely moved on from vintage, and adopted Gap-bland as "Normcore". Nathan Barley is in the building...

18. Turnip

...you can finally afford the HiFI components you dreamed of as a kid but your tinnitus drowns it all.

Rmccamey, Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  19. Trenchfriend

...you can finally afford the trim girls, you dreamed of as a kid, but now they could be your daughter.

Zombie_61 and Turnip like this.
  20. Turnip

...you don’t see the point in switching to thoracic respiration in presence of Double-X chromosomes anymore.

Trenchfriend likes this.