You know you are getting old when:

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

...you post in forums on a Friday evening.

Zombie_61, 1967Cougar390 and tonyb like this.
  2. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I’m hardly ancient (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it), but I’ve long found the best place to be on Friday night is in my own quiet home. Even back during my carousing days I preferred saloons with plenty of unoccupied seats, which was far likelier to be found on a Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  3. Just Jim

Just Jim One of the Regulars

. . . when you've been receiving "special offers" and "invitations to join" the AARP for more than 40 years . . . .

4. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

The summer temperatures appear to have forced the hipsters here to abandon their usual plaid flannel uniforms in favor of tie-dyed and ironic tee shirts. The neck beards, top knots, and faux tortoise/horn-rimmed eyeglasses seem to still be popular though. :rolleyes:

Not only that, but they finally create high definition televisions just as my eyes are going bad.

My wife and I started getting those when we were in our mid-40s. We figured if they were stupid enough to send them to us that we'd fill them out to see if they still wanted us younguns. I guess they did, 'cause we've been members for about 15 years now. I really don't see the advantage though, 'cause nobody seems willing to give us the discounts they say we're supposed to get.

5. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

Ha ha ha I have been getting senior discounts since I was 50. It started when I saw a poster at the library offering "how to use a computer" classes to seniors over 45. I thought , if that is the definition of a senior now I qualify. I found that teenagers at fast food places and stores would give me the discount without question. Older clerks might say "you don't look 65" and I would say "I take vitamins".

Zombie_61 and 1967Cougar390 like this.
  6. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

...when you don't feel joy by the thought of visiting friends and having to stay the night on other mattresses. ;)

7. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Watching I Love Lucy and my 10 yr old granddaughter asked where all the color went?

8. When all your junk mail consists of oversized paperboard postcards selling hearing aids & from crematoriums. What happened to all the hunting & fishing catalogs, & speed & performance catalogs I used to get?

9. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

Wen you add a hearing aid to your iPhone emoji.

211DA038-0C63-4F57-A93C-B0FA0DD331A1.jpeg

Steven

Turnip and Zombie_61 like this.
  10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

A month doesn’t go by that I don’t get at least a couple of mail solicitations from undertakers. Those offering cremations only (there’s more of them than I ever realized) are big on direct mail. I half expect them to offer sale pricing. Get your decrepit self reduced to ashes now before the price goes up!

Hurricane Jack and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Every once in a while we'll get some sort of advertising from Joe Schmoe's Crematorium and Donuts, but Rose Hills Memorial Park & Mortuary (allegedly the largest cemetery in North America) is within walking distance from our house and they're kind enough to send us sales propaganda two or three times a year. I haven't yet decided what should be done with my dead carcass 'cause I won't really care then.

Turnip and Hurricane Jack like this.
  12. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

13. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

That would probably be preferable to donating it for medical or military experimentation. The father of a good friend did that and, it turns out, if there's anything left when they're done they return the remains to the family for disposal.

14. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Hard customs!

At this end the respective medical facilities run their own, small funeral grounds where the cremated remains of donated bodies get periodically buried, the families get invited to attend the ceremony.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I can't imagine it would cost much to do that here in the U.S. as well, but everything in this country boils down to who's paying for it. :rolleyes:

Bushman and Turnip like this.
  16. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Didn’t those customers already pay with their bodies?

:rolleyes:

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

Everything everywhere boils down to who's paying for it. It's just that in some places and circumstances it's more transparent than others.

Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  18. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Once you strip everything away except for the basic construction materials we humans ain't worth nearly as much as we think we are. I can't imagine the resale value on a damaged rotting corpse is enough to cover the cost of cooking that corpse in a retort at 1800-2000°F for three hours. :D

19. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

That’s indeed a very Americano thought pattern...:D...the currency I meant to be paid with is knowledge, the body’s just the purse...;)...what might be a very European point of view...:D

Zombie_61 likes this.
  20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I've never really cared about what happens to my carcass when I go. Just stand me out on the sidewalk with the old branches and the bags of leaves.

Zombie_61 likes this.