Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

I was no fan of macaroni and cheese until I had some that didn’t come out of a box. It was something of a revelation. Still, I can’t get the vision out of my head of kitchen sinks piled high with plates with the remains of macaroni and cheese glued to them.
The worst Mac & Cheese is the box stuff with the powdered cheese.
The very best Mac & Cheese is baked with a crumble topping.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...you sometimes during winter got a „sugar egg“ as a kid.

A whole raw egg, a solid dash of red wine and some spoons of sugar, everything mixed up to slushy consistency, really made the cheeks glow...:)

You might be getting old if your address book is separate from and/or larger than your phone.

IMG_2027.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've been through the full run - teaching the kids who were born the year I did my GCSEs, A levels, graduated, graduated the second time, started work.... Next year I'll be teaching students born in 2000.... not many more years and my undergraduate model will be older than the kids taking it....

My grandmother ate it as her pregnancy craving when my mother was on the way according to family legend. Other side of the family swore by the old Irish cure for a cold - dissolve it in boiling water in a basin and sit with a towel draped over it and you, and inhale. Makeshift sweatlodge...

I was always told it was somewhere between deadly and rendering them ineffectual to mix those things with alcohol, though that may be the paracetamol in the ones we have here.... to be safe, I stick to lemsip for work, and whiskey at home. The whiskey is nicer to consume, and even if it doesn't cure the cold, it at least makes it funnier. Plus you don't have to wait four hours for another...

Those work well for people whose vision is otherwise fine - being short sighted (I have so far opted not to have laser done), I am due in a couple of years' time to have to go bifocal for the first time, and I'm not looking forward to it! I already find though that I'm taking my glasses off to read at close quarters and not at my desk, so.... only a matter of time.

I remember friends having one in the late 70s, with Disney toons on them. I think they were sold well into the 80s here. Surprisingly, according to Wikipedia at least they're still on sale.... I thought they'd long since been outdated by tablets and streaming services, if not DVDs, for the kids. I suppose they're a blessedly silent way of keeping kids occupied.... I've lost count of the number of times that I've had to share a train carriage with people who parent-by-tablet. Which I wouldn't mind if they'd discovered such a thing as headphones....

Back in 1992, I was on a school project that did an aid trip to Romania; I had a few speaking engagements about that through the church when I got back. I remember a rickety slide projector being a real pain. Only time I've ever done it; I wish I'd taken some 'proper' photos too. I might one day see if I can have the slides converted to digital. My parents took a lot of slides in the early 70s -big plus as it limited the number of baby photographs they could later embarrass us with (for years my brother and I used to sweep the house hiding old school photos before friends came round; I still cringe when I see some of them on my parents' wall).

These days, with digital photos so popular, people still do slide shows, but they tend to be either in powerpoint or something similar. Vastly more convenient, but I'd love to see somebody add in a slide projector sound effect for the jollies.

Quite so. I've always intended to print mine out in nice word documents, pre-captioned.... not happened yet. I went digital in 2003. On the plus side, I actually take far more photos now, because I'm not thinking about the cost of development, and I always have my phone in my pocket with a very decent camera on board (truth be told I don't currently have a dedicated camera - seems little point paying out for just a snaps camera when the phone is so good at that, though I plan in a year or two to buy a nice digital, maybe an Olympus Pen or similar, that has a bit of an old school look.

My mum, born Paisley, Scotland 1934, modernized the vapo rub hot water bucket with one of those electric vapourizers in which there was a receptacle for the Vicks jelly so it infused your bedroom at night. I understand it is scientifically not only not effective, but somewhat dangerous.

I have a Lemsip packet from my last UK trip seven years ago. It has paracetamol, so I will experiment and let you know how it goes.

If you don't hear back, it means there truly is a new Widowmaker...

Edward

Bartender
A pro of my acquaintance is all about the new Sony mirrorless camera. He’s dumping his Canon stuff while it still brings a few bucks. The lesson in this for me, a person who will never be a professional photographer, is to buy pro equipment used, when it sells for a fraction of what it cost new just a few years earlier.

Yeah, I'm always a little wary of second hand electricals, but at some point it would be cool to get a camera that can take different lenses and buy those and other accessories used. Biggest problem I find is getting something digital that not only looks good but has a decent bit of weight to it. I hate how light an awful lot of cameras are now.

Turnip

Biggest problem I find is getting something digital that not only looks good but has a decent bit of weight to it. I hate how light an awful lot of cameras are now.

Then you might go well with newer Sony a7/a9 depending on sujet or a Nikon Z-series, especially when used with a respective lens, Sony G-primes or Zeiss-primes for the Sony / fast Z-primes for the Nikon.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm always a little wary of second hand electricals, but at some point it would be cool to get a camera that can take different lenses and buy those and other accessories used. Biggest problem I find is getting something digital that not only looks good but has a decent bit of weight to it. I hate how light an awful lot of cameras are now.

The light weight and overall ergonomics of the 35 mm OM stuff is what moved me away from Nikon way back when. I still got a case holding a couple bodies and at least half a dozen lenses and a couple motor wonders and filters and whatnot. Haven’t used it in several years.

If I had money to burn I’d get a digital Leica. A guy with whom I worked several newspaper stories back in Seattle swears by his.

Turnip

My last chemical camera was a Dynax/Maxxum 9 from Minolta with some fast zooms and several stuff around. Meanwhile i just got an a7II from Sony, two (still fast) Non-G-primes from Sony (28, 85) and a Sigma 70 Macro and that was it.
For average knipsing I use a 1“ compact, the a7 for holidays that lead further than just to the beach.

Edward

Bartender
The light weight and overall ergonomics of the 35 mm OM stuff is what moved me away from Nikon way back when. I still got a case holding a couple bodies and at least half a dozen lenses and a couple motor wonders and filters and whatnot. Haven’t used it in several years.

If I had money to burn I’d get a digital Leica. A guy with whom I worked several newspaper stories back in Seattle swears by his.

Oh, the Leica is the ultimate. The freelance pro-photographer I rate the most - Hanson Leatherby https://www.hansonleatherby.com/ - is very much a Leica man. He shoots primarily on digital with a Leica (I think it's an older body refitted with the digital gubbins, though their new digital models haven't changed the classic 30s look anyhow). Absolutely beautiful camera, though I fear that at the price they're something I'd find hard to justify this side of a lottery win, not being pro. Always hoping they'd do a sort of "budget" line. They have worked with, I think it was Panasonic who have a line with Leica lenses in them, but nothing quite of the same style yet.

Edward

Bartender
My last chemical camera was a Dynax/Maxxum 9 from Minolta with some fast zooms and several stuff around. Meanwhile i just got an a7II from Sony, two (still fast) Non-G-primes from Sony (28, 85) and a Sigma 70 Macro and that was it.
For average knipsing I use a 1“ compact, the a7 for holidays that lead further than just to the beach.

I'll look into those. I tend to use the phone for snaps - though I could be tempted to save on its battery by buying a cheap digital - it does seem entirely possible to buy a very serviceable compact for about £100 or less these days. What I rally want to pick up, though, is a nice camera with the convenience of digital, but something 'more', something for when I want more than just a snaps camera - big sightseeing holidays and the likes - and which looks the part enough so that at events the atmo isn't somewhat killed when I produce a phone!

Turnip

That’s what I use the a7 for. It‘s beefy enough for my relative large hands, glove size 11.
If it has to be the range finder look I’d consider Fuji. They do some very nice cams in that range and their lenses are quite old style with very good image quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24