Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

You know you are getting old when you are pulling a cork out of a bottle of wine at dinner and your daughter's friend (maybe 22 y.o.) says "wow, just like in the movies!" :confused:

I didn't pursue the matter, but I'm guessing: screw tops.
Or the aforementioned tab top cans. Yes, I've actually seen "wine" sold in cans.

I think, I saw it some times in Hollywood movies, but I can't allocate it exactly.
Imagine a pay telephone in each one of those miniature "cubicles". That might clear things up.

Edward

Bartender
You know you are getting old when you are pulling a cork out of a bottle of wine at dinner and your daughter's friend (maybe 22 y.o.) says "wow, just like in the movies!" :confused:

I didn't pursue the matter, but I'm guessing: screw tops.

Mn. Screw tops on wine are becoming much more common now, at least on the market here. For years they were sneered at by the same sort of folks who at a time would have made a show of rejecting synthetic corks, but a lot of the wine buffs I know now consider the seals to have improved greatly on them, and there are a lot of higher quality labels using them. I can't honestly claim to have ever noticed a difference (though I suppose a screw-top bottle doesn't risk the wine being 'corked'), but there is undeniably something much more appealing about the theatre of opening a corked bottle for the first time.

You might be a Millennial if you can't remember shopping before electronic card swipes & Apple Pay.

IMG_2032.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The credit card swipe, the gizmo that always puckered the paper when swiping. Millenials won't know what this is, or what it's for, except for the fact that it's function is described on it. Not something people used unless they were in business.
pager.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The credit card swipe, the gizmo that always puckered the paper when swiping. Millenials won't know what this is, or what it's for, except for the fact that it's function is described on it. Not something people used unless they were in business.
View attachment 287809

That one's positively futuristic compared to the one we had --

3UOnsIz0VVWNAXE9p8LkRg.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I remember those things. Hated using them. I was out of retail long before easier options like chip and pin became a norm!

View attachment 287809

A "pager" or whatever it's called, right?

We had "Scall" or "Quix", "TelMe", from the 90s until early 2000s, when mobile phones became cheap. They did huge afford on TV commercials for "Scall"! But I never saw one in real life. Nearly no one needed it.

Back on the Karen-topic.

3:49. Man, how I hate this trend glasses, so much women wore from 2005 to 2010!! :mad: We called it "secretary-glasses", back then.
But thanks to you all, I know now how to call these glasses. They were definitely the KAREN-GLASSES!! :D
The broader the temples were in the front, the more bling bling on them, the more KAREN!
Why, so much women wanted to wear glasses, that look like a "box"?? Like Aristoteles Onassis-revival glasses...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24