Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

First post, and impressed with what's quoted above. Expand more, maybe a new thread, 'Early jobs, what I learned' or some such. This was a traveling carni? Canada only? Very intriguing this. 60s, 70s?
Western Canada. Tried to work the US once but immigration used to check the fairs and it was risking deportation without papers and papers were hard to get. I started in 1961 and ended in 1972 working at Playland, days on the maintenance crew ...nights in the games. In the Autumn I would travel and miss the first month of school. March through September......never had much of a summer but then I always had money in my pocket when my buddies were broke.

Perhaps you shouldn’t wish something on others that you weren’t willing to do yourself.
Of course. I think the post of mine you quoted makes that clear. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Had national service been compulsory when I was that age, my willingness, or lack thereof, wouldn’t have mattered.

Last edited:
^^^^
Contraceptives were illegal in many jurisdictions back then. My Dear Old Ma, who had her tubes tied in 1958, had to first have her husband’s permission. Many if not most people thought that appropriate. I fear that too many still do.

Chances are you're here because the condom failed. I know that I am, but it took Dad almost sixty years to level with me.
No, my parents were relatively late to the parenthood gig. My sister was first and they kept trying as they wanted a matching set of girl and a boy. It would have been a diaphragm if anything failed not a condom.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In the 1930s, you could buy contraceptive jelly in the Sears catalog. That ended by 1948. Postwar repressiveness was real, and those who grew up in the midst of it got a distorted notion of the "appropriate view" on such matters.

^^^^^
I get ads for heavy industrial machinery. I have no idea why this should be. My Internet searches rarely if ever venture into that territory,

Oh, oh, oh! It now occurs to me that I have searched for small screen printing equipment and leather embossers. But that has very little to do with the gear used in large manufacturing plants.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^^^^
I get ads for heavy industrial machinery. I have no idea why this should be. My Internet searches rarely if ever venture into that territory,

Similar here, whenever I visit this forum I get ads for Latex catsuits and open crotch tulle panties dubbed in.
As my web searches rarely if ever venture into that territory i suspect those leather jacket and related clothing Freds in this forum to trigger that.

Hmmm. The ad for the jeans I get, but the vaporizer or whatever that gizmo is?

75DA5B98-F052-46DC-AC29-8A51D116536F.jpeg

I was a bit taken aback when the pot device ad popped up while on this forum.

I have about as little interest as I have knowledge in how these things happen. I’m left to assume that the people paying for these ads know what they’re doing, no matter the evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
Converting some CDs to standard mp3-files right now with an old super-basic program, called "Switch", to put it on my 15 year old 1 GB USB-player.

R.4854ad35c5171852af98b20e71b8ee68

^^^^^

Oh, oh, oh! It now occurs to me that I have searched for small screen printing equipment and leather embossers. But that has very little to do with the gear used in large manufacturing plants.
Based on the weird adverts and news feeds I receive am starting to doubt this whole AI thing. If the FB/Google algorithms can't do a better sort than this then I think the entire AI conversation is a scam.

Who?

Practically Family
Based on the weird adverts and news feeds I receive am starting to doubt this whole AI thing. If the FB/Google algorithms can't do a better sort than this then I think the entire AI conversation is a scam.
Google may know more about you than you think they do, if you have and carry an Android phone.

Google may know more about you than you think they do, if you have and carry an Android phone.
I have an adroid but telephone only.....no data and most of the time I have no idea where it is. I only carry it when I head into the city in case I have to call for a tow truck or order a pizza.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112