Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

I went to a funeral a while back and my cousin and I sat at he back and while waiting on the service got to counting the balding men's heads ( a family trait). We could never get the same number. After several counts , non the same she looked me in the eye and ask, " you are counting yourself , aren't you ?"
The same woman has been cutting my hair, and my wife's, for about 30 years now. A few years ago while she was cutting my hair, she and my wife were standing behind me talking in hushed tones and trying to look like they weren't giggling. They weren't paying any attention to me, so I surprised them when I asked, "Are you two talking about my bald spot?" The look of shock on their faces was priceless. lol

Now, I don't really have a bald spot...not yet, anyway. But it's much thinner than it was when I was younger, right on the "crown" of my head (the typical "male pattern" bald spot). And it was obvious that neither of them thought I knew about it, and neither of them wanted to be the one to tell me. But, hell, I'm 53 years old, I know a lot of guys who would say I'm lucky to still have most of my hair, and they'd be right. It's just part of getting older, and I don't see any reason to freak out about it. [huh] I've even told both of them to tell me when it gets so thin that it starts to look like I'm growing my hair long to hide it, because that's when I'll start cutting it shorter (if I haven't already).

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The same woman has been cutting my hair, and my wife's, for about 30 years now. A few years ago while she was cutting my hair, she and my wife were standing behind me talking in hushed tones and trying to look like they weren't giggling. They weren't paying any attention to me, so I surprised them when I asked, "Are you two talking about my bald spot?" The look of shock on their faces was priceless. lol

Now, I don't really have a bald spot...not yet, anyway. But it's much thinner than it was when I was younger, right on the "crown" of my head (the typical "male pattern" bald spot). And it was obvious that neither of them thought I knew about it, and neither of them wanted to be the one to tell me. But, hell, I'm 53 years old, I know (a lot of guys who would say I'm lucky to still have most of my hair, and they'd be right. It's just part of getting older, and I don't see any reason to freak out about it. [huh] I've even told both of them to tell me when it gets so thin that it starts to look like I'm growing my hair long to hide it, because that's when I'll start cutting it shorter (if I haven't already).

The young female barber that cuts my hair, jokingly said she would kill me if I ever do a comb over! Fortunately, I have no plans do do such a thing.

The young female barber that cuts my hair, jokingly said she would kill me if I ever do a comb over! Fortunately, I have no plans do do such a thing.
The gray in my hair is s-l-o-w-l-y catching up to the gray in my beard, and one day I was joking with the woman who cuts my hair about the possibility of dyeing it. She told me, straight out and with all the seriousness she could muster, that if I ever walked in and asked her to dye my hair she would refuse to do it. I laughed and assured her that it would never happen, but had to ask why she was so insistent. Her response, without hesitation, was, "It just wouldn't be you." And she was right.

As for the comb over, I'd shave my head first.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
My hair started to go gray when I was 26. I use VO5 hair dressing for gray hair, it has a slight blue tint that combats any tendency to dulling or yellowing. I have had compliments on my hair from barbers.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I am into sea kayaking among other things and I was joking about the first kayak I had being so tipsy that I had to part my hair down the middle to stay upright. I had no more finished the the sentence when my younger sister busted out laughing and as she walked away remarked that I had taken care of "that" problem.

I am into sea kayaking among other things and I was joking about the first kayak I had being so tipsy that I had to part my hair down the middle to stay upright. I had no more finished the the sentence when my younger sister busted out laughing and as she walked away remarked that I had taken care of "that" problem.
You sold the kayak?

:D

The gray in my hair is s-l-o-w-l-y catching up to the gray in my beard, and one day I was joking with the woman who cuts my hair about the possibility of dyeing it. She told me, straight out and with all the seriousness she could muster, that if I ever walked in and asked her to dye my hair she would refuse to do it. I laughed and assured her that it would never happen, but had to ask why she was so insistent. Her response, without hesitation, was, "It just wouldn't be you." And she was right.

As for the comb over, I'd shave my head first.

If my moustache goes gray---the moustache goes. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
True Fact -- in the Era, and in the years just before the Era, customers for hair dye were overwhelmingly male. It was very common for companies to fire male employees who began showing the slightest tinge of grey in order to replace them with younger, cheaper workers, and it was very common for middle-aged men to start slapping on the dye as soon as the grey hairs started to manifest. Home dye products such as Kolor-Bak were targeted primarily to a male clientele, and this went on well into the sixties and seventies with "Grecian Formula 16," which was basically Kolor-Bak in a fancier bottle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff