Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Deer and their meat is in abundance here in Indiana. It's a yearly Autumn 'seriously dedicated hunt' for many. I don't care for the gamey wild taste either...although some know how to cook it better than others. The best I ever had was made in a crock pot like a stew and seasoned to tender mild perfection.
HD

You certainly have to know how to prepare it or you could ruin it. Some people don't dress them right from the beginning either. :doh:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Venison is not gamey. Skunk is gamey.:p

Even if the old gal cooked it...

2vngyfc.png

it still has a wild, gamey flavor .
but that's just me...:D

btw: How do you know skunk tastes "gamey" ?

Last edited:
You certainly have to know how to prepare it or you could ruin it. Some people don't dress them right from the beginning either. :doh:

True. It's all in the preparation and the cooking. Many hunters here dress their own kill and certainly aren't experts at it..while others do know the correct process. That's why it's often a toss up of what the meat will taste like.
HD

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love venison. I keep encouraging my husband to go hunt (he doesn't have the time) because I'd kill to have a delicious deer in our freezer.

I've got two large crockpots, I can knock them off two at a time...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We ate a lot of venison growing up -- nobody hunted in our family, but hunters traded it to us all the time for fuel oil, gas, or car repairs. Every once in a while someone we knew would roadkill a deer out of season, and we might get some meat from that in exchange for dealing with the car. I never developed much of a taste for it -- it was just "that meat we ate when we didn't have the good kind." Right now I have a couple of venison steaks that someone gave me about seven years ago, crammed in the back of the freezer compartment of my refrigerator. I don't imagine they're still edible, but I can't bring myself to waste them. They're my desperate-from-hunger survival rations.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
To think I do not eat red meat.

and to think I don't miss it at all (I eat only chicken and fish )

oh well.

Good for you !

I hope that you find something delicious over there when you go .
Just be careful.
I once stayed at a nice resort in Puerto Vallarta many moons ago.
I'm an early riser & I noticed the maids using a hose to fill up the water
cooler bottles that was meant for the hotel guests ! :eeek:

I've heard squirrel tastes good...

The pests we have are woodchucks...
We have a couple of squirrels and opossums that like to hang out in our back yard and eat the oranges that have fallen from our tree, but the doggone gophers are the real pests. Given the drought conditions in California, it probably won't be too much longer before we no longer have a lawn for them to ruin anyway. :rage:

You know you're getting old when you start grousing about gophers?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Good for you !

I hope that you find something delicious over there when you go .
Just be careful.
I once stayed at a nice resort in Puerto Vallarta many moons ago.
I'm an early riser & I noticed the maids using a hose to fill up the water
cooler bottles that was meant for the hotel guests ! :eeek:

Oh! I always take "Imodium" when I travel. No worries! :D lol

We have a couple of squirrels and opossums that like to hang out in our back yard and eat the oranges that have fallen from our tree, but the doggone gophers are the real pests. Given the drought conditions in California, it probably won't be too much longer before we no longer have a lawn for them to ruin anyway. :rage:

You know you're getting old when you start grousing about gophers?

Grousing about anything is a fine national pastime. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
First world problems.......

It's a first world problem if the gopher is eating your lawn. It's a real problem if the gopher is eating the crops you need to survive.

We have the occasional patron at work who complains that we don't sell foamy five-dollar cups of coffee and they don't like the plain stuff and it's ruining their evening. It's all I can do to keep from laughing in their faces.

...We have the occasional patron at work who complains that we don't sell foamy five-dollar cups of coffee and they don't like the plain stuff and it's ruining their evening. It's all I can do to keep from laughing in their faces.

Unbelievable - just amazing.

I am not in the camp that every problem in one's life should be dismissed because it isn't a third world problem (yes, it is a annoying that the dry cleaner ruined a brand new shirt and won't acknowledge it, even though there are people in the world without food), but proportion and context matter a lot.

I'll get frustrated about the shirt, but in the context of I realize it's not a really big deal in the scope of life.

But if not having a foamy five-dollar cup of coffee ruins your evening, you've lost proportion and context. Personally, I'm intimidated by Starbucks and it's ilk, as I don't know all the different coffees, how to order them and I have no intention of paying those prices, but that's just me. If coffee is your thing, and you want to enjoy an expensive version - good for you, but don't be obnoxious about it in a place that doesn't sell it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know you're getting old when you think foamy coffee is ridiculous and are perfectly satisfied with a cup of Instant Sanka.
I'm not a tea drinker, which for a Brit is heresy but my wife drinks it by the gallon and I am her char wallah. Like ridiculous foamy coffee, she, and I, think that tea bags are ridiculous. The flavour of tea is achieved, by boiling water being poured onto loose tea leaves. And that's it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace