Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

You know you're getting old when you're the only person in the "compulsory meeting to discuss workplace culture" who thought it meant "who left the moldy tuna fish in the office refrigerator?"
I wouldn’t last an hour.

In my experience, such meetings were called mostly to remind us underlings of just who was in charge. I count among my blessings that I haven’t been in such a “workplace culture” in decades, and that I can’t imagine any circumstances under which I would ever again find myself in one. (Who am I fooling? They wouldn’t hire me in the first place.)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
When your first thought on your birthday is not how old you are, but how much closer you are to retirement.

I first 'retired' from the U.S. Army at twenty; chased waves and wahinies at Kaneohe, Oahu;
came back mainland for Vietnam's GI Bill college and law school, now putting retirement papers in
order though I have mixed feelings about leaving. A gal pal called last nite to confirm the rumor and the
page turner moment really drove home time's passage. :(

You're not too old, when you're able to do this, three times a week. :)

I still love it. Just so relaxing your whole body. Always feeling twenty times younger, after.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When your first thought on your birthday is not how old you are, but how much closer you are to retirement.
Retirement is only an option. Yesterday was a day when, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong, with added whistles and bells. A day like yesterday I haven't experienced in over thirty five years. Yet despite the grinding thirteen hours that I did, there was at the end of it, a sense of stimulation, in turning things around, that nothing in retirement can match.

earl

A-List Customer
Retirement is only an option. Yesterday was a day when, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong, with added whistles and bells. A day like yesterday I haven't experienced in over thirty five years. Yet despite the grinding thirteen hours that I did, there was at the end of it, a sense of stimulation, in turning things around, that nothing in retirement can match.
I take it you're still employed. Me, been retired 3 years. Grinding 13 hour workday followed by sense of accomplishment eh? Well, that's a nice way to look at it and I suppose retirement can't give you that. But, I'll take relaxing and doing whatever whenever over that any day.;)

^^^^^
I need specific tasks with hard deadlines facing me lest I fritter away my life. It needn’t be work (meaning money-making activity), necessarily, but it can’t be “make work,” either. My lovely missus is expert at pointing out tasks requiring my attention.

drewestin

New in Town
If you want to keep your teeth, then eat right. There will be no strong teeth if the body lacks fluoride and calcium. Calcium is absorbed with the help of vitamin D, which comes from food or is synthesized by the body independently under the influence of ultraviolet light. Therefore, we take a pen and write down: veal, poultry, eggs, butter and sea fish are a source of vitamin D; yoghurts, cheeses, spinach and broccoli are a source of calcium; black tea, coarse bread and fish contain fluoride. We include these products in our regular diet — and everything is within our teeth. When I switched to this diet, a month later, on the scales vont.com, I saw significant changes. So not only the teeth will be in good condition, but also the whole body.

Last edited:
Why does no one write about nutrition, does it not affect the teeth?

If you want to keep your teeth, then eat right. There will be no strong teeth if the body lacks fluoride and calcium.
tSwozch.jpg

... you finally hire a "kid" to mow your yard. :(

After 55 years of mowing my own yard in town I finally hired someone to do it. When I started I charged $3.00 for the neighbor's typical sized yard and did ours for free, of course. It's a bit more than that nowadays. I still could mow, but now that we are at the farm most of the time I would have to travel almost four hours round trip to get it done. I have six acres to mow weekly here, so I'll still have my hand in it (and a bit of money as the first 15-gallons of gas for this season cost $63).

I don’t make every trip down the basement stairs and back up again count for something each way, besides just transporting my decrepit self, but I typically do. Or at least give the matter some thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy