Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Last November 4th while returning home on my evening commute, I stepped off the Chicago Transit
Blue Line subway at LaSalle Street and suffered a stroke. Taken by paramedics to Northwestern Hospital,
an emergency room physician grimaced shaking his head and stated he didn't know what was wrong
with me. A kid; whom I took pity on in a somewhat comical avuncular fashion, "Doctor, you went to
medical school, right?"
He nodded.
"I went to law school. I am having an ischemic stroke occasioned cerebral arterial occlusion."

Should have seen the look come over his face. I was immediately taken to the tenth floor Neurology
ward where they understood all the particulars. Ten days later transferred to Marianjoy Rehab Hospital
in Wheaton, Illinois and spent several weeks further adjusting to situation and learning to walk.

Had a chuckle over the kid doctor. ;):)

Edward

Bartender
I remember an older friend smiling wryly and commenting on my realisation of moving from the stage in life where I was going to 30th and 21st birthday parties to 40ths. Now it's increasingly 50th parties - and, yes, the first couple of funerals. I've never felt so mortal as when a friend in our club died suddenly and unexpectedly having not long turned forty, just a few months older than me.

Yesterday, I walked past an advert for a "bottomless afternoon tea" in a local cocktail pub and was briefly excited, until I read on and realised it was bottomless Prosecco and cocktails, not tea and scones, and was very disappointed.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I remember an older friend smiling wryly and commenting on my realisation of moving from the stage in life where I was going to 30th and 21st birthday parties to 40ths. Now it's increasingly 50th parties - and, yes, the first couple of funerals. I've never felt so mortal as when a friend in our club died suddenly and unexpectedly having not long turned forty, just a few months older than me.

Yesterday, I walked past an advert for a "bottomless afternoon tea" in a local cocktail pub and was briefly excited, until I read on and realised it was bottomless Prosecco and cocktails, not tea and scones, and was very disappointed.
At least it wasn't required that you go pantless.

You say to a kid who didn't understand something you said "It's OK, I'm not from this century," and it isn't a joke.
Somewhere in my brain are a few cells that are trying to maintain the notion that the most recent turn-of-the-century wasn't long ago. And then I remember that anyone born in 2000 is now old enough to legally drink anywhere in the U.S.. :oops:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Somewhere in my brain are a few cells that are trying to maintain the notion that the most recent turn-of-the-century wasn't long ago. And then I remember that anyone born in 2000 is now old enough to legally drink anywhere in the U.S.. :oops:
I remember going to my doctor just before she was about to go off on maternity leave, we saw her with her "baby" just recently. He was a strapping six foot 24 year old, what happened?

It was when I mentioned this to Tina that she reminded me that I went from birth to marriage in twenty two years. She then gave that enigmatic smile of her's before saying: "Others do the same too, you know!"

Edward

Bartender
I remember going to my doctor just before she was about to go off on maternity leave, we saw her with her "baby" just recently. He was a strapping six foot 24 year old, what happened?

It was when I mentioned this to Tina that she reminded me that I went from birth to marriage in twenty two years. She then gave that enigmatic smile of her's before saying: "Others do the same too, you know!"

I remember realising with some horror that my undergraduates were exactly half my age. And that was in the Before Times, five, nearly six, years ago. I no longer even need to ask to ascertain that none of them remember dial-up internet. Increasingly few of them seem to particularly remember a PM pre-Cameron, which puts a real time-frame on it. When I mention developments in law which happened under the Major government and cases like Aitken and Hamilton, it's like ancient history to them. In pop culture terms, Nirvana's Nevermind LP (1991) was longer ago relative to their lifetime than are the Beatles to me. The real kicker was working out that for them 80s rock and roll revivalists like Brian Setzer fall in their relative timeline at the same point as does Elvis for me. Which might explain why they all find it so hilarious when on occasion I'm actually up to date with popular culture. My being a fan of Ru Paul's Drag Race has caused much mirth on many occasions.

And that's another thing -- when somebody says "turn of the century" my automatic thoughts are of picture hats, walrus moustaches, the Floradora girls, and William McKinley.
I experience pretty much the same thing, which I why I clarify which turn-of-the-century I'm referring to. Ah the good old days, when everything was still in slightly fuzzy black and white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner