Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Scream for Ice Cream?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'm amazed that no one here seems to share my liking for gelato!

"Like high end ice cream, gelato generally has less than 35% air - resulting in a dense and extremely flavorful product. ... Dairy gelato is made with whole cow's milk and contains 4–8% butterfat depending on the ingredients (nuts, milk, or cream increases the fat content). North American-style ice creams contain more butterfat than gelato, ranging from 10% to 18% since more cream is used."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelato

Caledonia

Practically Family
Good old plain vanilla. Recommended suppliers: Hagen Daaz, Green & Blacks (actually not sure they do vanilla, but they definitely do chocolate, which is quite an adequate substitute :) ), and Ghilonni's (possibly Ghilloni's) in a small town in Scotland 20 years ago, till they changed the recipe :( .

colleency

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:

I do! But I don't seem to get out much. I don't *think* there are many gelato places conveniently close, so I make it at home. MMMMMM.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
Kemp's Maple Nut ice cream is my favorite, unfortunately I live in San Antonio and can't get it (frown). I did however just visit Minnesota, where I am from, and ate an entire container of the stuff (over a 10 day period of course)! I didn't even gain a pound on my trip. Kemps. It's the cows.
Missy

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc, I may have to try gelato now! I think Rita's Water Ice has them... I never branched out that much. Are you some sort of sales representative?lol

ortega76

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

"Like high end ice cream, gelato generally has less than 35% air - resulting in a dense and extremely flavorful product. ... Dairy gelato is made with whole cow's milk and contains 4–8% butterfat depending on the ingredients (nuts, milk, or cream increases the fat content). North American-style ice creams contain more butterfat than gelato, ranging from 10% to 18% since more cream is used."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelato

I LOVE gelato. In fact, there are two or three nice places to get in my town. I stopped and got a scoop of almond gelato on my way to work (closing shift) yesterday!

Rosie

One Too Many
After having gelato in Europe, when I've found a place here or there that sells, it, it just wasn't the same. There is some new place in the city that claims to be "authentic" but I just haven't tried it as of yet.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
I saw lychee and avocado flavored ice cream today.lol

Avocado Ice cream is yummy....and a staple in all good Brazilian Ice Cream shops.

They think of it as a fruit and not a vegetable so it gets made sweet.

The other veggie ice cream flavor I had while living there is sweet corn. Think creamed corn sort of taste, much like the sweet corn cake that some mexican type restaurants have.

Trust me, Brazilians have way more unusual ice cream flavors then I can ever start mentioning here. In the Amazon, many of them are palm tree fruit flavours, since there are many different kinds of palm fruits.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I guess I'm just old fashion. Vanilla ice cream, but with SPRINKLES! Hoorah for sprinkles! Rainbow please!

A good frozen vanilla custard in a waffle cone with sprinkles. I'm sure they serve that in heaven...

But none for me right now. I'm on a no sugar, no caffiene, no carbs thing thanks for my nutritionist. Boo! Hiss! Well, it will always be there if I need it.

funneman

Practically Family
Jaxons!

There's a place here in Hollywood, Florida that I swear has been here since the forties.

Jaxon's serves what's called the "Kitchen Sink" and it's just that. Every flavor on the menu servied up in a real porcelon sink type thing, by a man in a straw boater, red and white striped shirt and a guy behind him hitting a siren!

Not a real Ice Cream person myself (something about lactose intolerant) but it sure is fun to watch the kids dive into that thing!

funneman said:
There's a place here in Hollywood, Florida that I swear has been here since the forties.

Jaxon's serves what's called the "Kitchen Sink" and it's just that. Every flavor on the menu servied up in a real porcelon sink type thing, by a man in a straw boater, red and white striped shirt and a guy behind him hitting a siren!

Not a real Ice Cream person myself (something about lactose intolerant) but it sure is fun to watch the kids dive into that thing!

We used to have the same thing here at a now defunct place called Farrel's. Theirs came in a wheelbarrow though. Now that was a lot of ice cream. :p

Regards,

J

FedoraGent

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
We used to have the same thing here at a now defunct place called Farrel's. Theirs came in a wheelbarrow though. Now that was a lot of ice cream. :p

Regards,

J

J,

Have you ever been to the Ice Creamery in Castro Valley? They used to do the same thing and I'm not quite sure whether they still do or not.

Jon

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:

Regards,

J

We had Farrell's here in Sac also, had many birthdays there. On a sad note when I was very young in the early 70's a WWII plane crashed into one of the Farrells during an air show - unfortunately when I think of Farrells I always remember that.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's a place on Captiva Island in Floriday, where my family had a vacation home, with the best little ice cream shoppe. My family and another family and there kids would get together and have a "bucket sundae". It came in a beach pail with four shovels. Thirty scoops of ice cream and every topping imagineable. It became a family tradition to attempt to finish at least one every year between the seven of us.
I've had one too many jobs scooping ice cream. I worked at Aldo's, an ice cream parlor on Block Island, Rhode Island the summer I was 18. We made the ice cream ourselves, and my arms were sore from all the scooping. The fun part of the job was that I got to drive the pastry boat. A small whaler packed with pastries in the morning and ice cream in the afternoon, in which I drove around all the docks, selling it to people visiting the island on their boats. I must admit, after that summer, even though the ice cream was the best I've ever had, I couldn't eat ice cream for a very long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy