Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Scream for Ice Cream?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, it's hot and humid and the air's so thick you have to push it out of the way just to walk across the room -- so what better time for ICE CREAM. Yes indeed, ice cream -- making life worth living all summer long. Hard serve, soft serve, in a cup, on a cone, or on a stick -- wouldn't you like to have some right now?

Sorry. The former adwriter in me coming to the surface.

But I do love ice cream -- so why not talk about our favorite kinds? For me, being a purist and all, there's nothing better than a really good classic all-natural high-butterfat vanilla, served rock-solid on a sugar cone. But I also confess to a fondess for Hoodsie Cups, known and loved by generations of dirty-faced New England kids for the swirl of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, and the distinctive wooden taste imparted by the little spoon that comes with the cup. I've just eaten two Hoodsies, and there's three more in my freezer that may not survive the night. Nertz to diets when it's this hot out...

How 'bout you? What's the ice cream that gets you screamin'?

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
I always like good ol' vanilla, or mint chocolate chip, too. Chocolate alone seems to make me ill, which is odd since I can eat any other version of that wodnerful stuff, just not ice cream. Hmm! [huh]
But then I once tried a banana split and got a little sick, too, so maybe dairy in general isn't for me, hehe.

LizzieMaine said:
But I also confess to a fondess for Hoodsie Cups, known and loved by generations of dirty-faced New England kids for the swirl of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, and the distinctive wooden taste imparted by the little spoon that comes with the cup.

I remember those from primary school! Ahh, memories. :)

Edit: Ah ha! I found a type of soy ice cream that seems good:
ISD_Raaspberry.jpg

S

Samsa

Darnit. You are tempting me to make a late night visit to the local 24 hour drug store to buy some, as there is none in the house.

I must say that the best ice cream I've had was homemade. Unfortunately, we got rid of the maker because it was such a pain to make ice cream. As for the store-bought variety, I'll eat just about anything. Chocolate, vanilla (especially with pie), Phish Food, Mackinac Island Fudge... I could go on, but those are the usual suspects.

Woanzenagi

New in Town
Orange-pineapple for me. There's a stand about 15 minutes from me with the best i've ever tried. Real chunks of pineapple mixed in and a real treat when served in a sugar cone.:D

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Another Vanilla fan here--extra rich and creamy too! Although I must be honest that I don't often turn down an extra-thick homemade chocolate milkshare either!

Novella

Practically Family
I like Dryer's light vanilla ice cream, a cone of soft serve, frozen yogurt, or fruit flavored gelato or sorbet (not quite ice cream, but a relative). I'm not a huge fan of regular ice cream because when I was little it would sometimes make me sick.

Rosie

One Too Many
I like soft, rich, creamy vanilla. Every so often, I can go for rocky road. I loved butter pecan as a kid, loved it. Now, eh.

When I lived in Italy I ate gelato a few times a week (I know, shame on me) but, I haven't found real authentic gelato here, but come to think of it, I haven't really been trying.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im a purist as well, and there is nothing better than a clean sweet yellow vanilla. :D MMMMMmmmmmm guuuuuuuuddddddd! Or a dulce de leche :D

I had a coworker who at office parties made his own vanilla bean ice cream from scratch as well as homemade waffle cones. Great googlei mooglie they were divine.

LD

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Okay, Lizzie. There is no doubt in my mind you were one heck of an Advertiser. You got me craving for some!

Anyway, my favorite flavors are black cherry, strawberry cheesecake, and strawberry; vanilla and cookie dough.

Give me some Blue Belt, Ben & Jerry's, or Coldstone, and I'll be your man forever! lol

cadence

New in Town
I like:

I like all kinds of ice creams, one of my favorites is strawberry, but to me, nothing is better than my mums home made christmas ice cream. I live in Australia, so christmas time here averages around 35-40 degrees celcius im not sure what that is in farenheit, but it's really really hot) It is a vanilla based flavour, but she makes it with glazed cherries, wallnuts and ginger (i think it has ginger, im not too sure though :( ) it sounds really gross, but trust me, its fabulous!!lol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I'm trying to figure how this relates to the Golden Era, but I'll bite as I love ice cream too. A local buffet here serves Blue Bunny brand and they have a cotton candy flavor (pink and blue) that has actually flakes of cotton candy in it. Oh my is it wonderful!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
ITG said:
Okay, I'm trying to figure how this relates to the Golden Era

Making ice cream was considered big time family fun in the Golden Era. My father would tell of all his family members taking their turns at the crank of the household ice cream maker.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
One more.

Oh, when I lived in Columbus, OH, here was this local store that made their ice cream. The Best was Raspberry chocolate chip. It was vanilla ice cream with real smashed raspberries in it, and dark chocolate chip shavings.

The experience of eating such a confection rivals nothing yet created by man.

LD

Citizen Ed

Familiar Face
Graeter's Ice Cream. A Cincy tradition since 1870. Words can't describe the frozen mana they put in a cone. One bite of their Black Raspberry Chip and you'll know God.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy