Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Scream for Ice Cream?

Haversack

One Too Many
DancingSweetie wrote:
We had Farrell's here in Sac also, had many birthdays there. On a sad note when I was very young in the early 70's a WWII plane crashed into one of the Farrells during an air show - unfortunately when I think of Farrells I always remember that.

I remember that Farrell's very well. I grew up a short distance away, (near Red Jensen's airstrip) and had been there many times while in Junior High School. I had also just left the airshow on my bicycle when the F-86 Sabrejet tried to take off. I heard the crash and saw the plume go up. It was the last airshow held at executive and pretty much killed off the Farrell's chain.

However, when I moved to Eugene in the late 1980s, I discovered that there was a Farrell's still operating under that name. It apparently had been owned by a single individual under franchise, so when the chain declined, the Eugene store was protected. It changed its name to the Pearl Street Ice Cream parlour in the late 1990s. Its still a Farrell's inside with the Zoo, the Trough, and the drums, siren, and styrofoam boaters. It also uses a local ice cream.

Haversack.

Haversack said:
However, when I moved to Eugene in the late 1980s, I discovered that there was a Farrell's still operating under that name. It apparently had been owned by a single individual under franchise, so when the chain declined, the Eugene store was protected. It changed its name to the Pearl Street Ice Cream parlour in the late 1990s. Its still a Farrell's inside with the Zoo, the Trough, and the drums, siren, and styrofoam boaters. It also uses a local ice cream.

Haversack.

Man, all that stuff brings back memories. Our's left and never came back. :(

Regards,

J

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Haversack said:
DancingSweetie wrote:
We had Farrell's here in Sac also, had many birthdays there. On a sad note when I was very young in the early 70's a WWII plane crashed into one of the Farrells during an air show - unfortunately when I think of Farrells I always remember that.

I remember that Farrell's very well. I grew up a short distance away, (near Red Jensen's airstrip) and had been there many times while in Junior High School. I had also just left the airshow on my bicycle when the F-86 Sabrejet tried to take off. I heard the crash and saw the plume go up. It was the last airshow held at executive and pretty much killed off the Farrell's chain.

Haversack.

Wow, small world!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy