Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Walk Wrong

Mary

Practically Family
Interesting discussion.

I came across a book on feet some years ago that have made me aware of their health. I wear uncomfortable shoes sometimes but I do some workout(basicly spreading them out, grabbing pencils and some stretching) to my toes and go barefoot indoors so I think it evens out.

The article didn't convice me. The materials we walk on now are very monotone and therefore tiresome to the feet. Being barefoot walking on grass, holding onto rocks or trying not walk on torny slicks is so much varying and what's best for the feet.

The book I've been reading doesn't recommend walking barefoot on hard surfaces. Rugs are good to have indoors so the feet has something to grab onto. They need exercise but varying exercise and not just walking on the streets. I really recommend doing some strechting to your feet if you walk in high heels a lot. Just simply pull your toes the opposite way and be sure to keep them in line with their joints. This can be hard cause all shoes are to narrow so out toes are deformed. And if you're unsure don't overdo it.

I'll see if I can find some more info on this on the internet.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
Stand barefooted on a flat surface and have someone look. My mother has a very high arch - incidentally wears down the outsides of her heels - and you could slide a ruler completely under her foot without touching it. This is with your weight on your foot, of course. Mine works that way with no weight on it, but the space disappears when I stand on it.

There's a space on the inside of the foot, but not on the outside?

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
You can check your arches very easily.

1) Get out of the shower

2) Walk a couple of steps and get the floor wet

3) Turn around and look at the footprint.

See a front and back but no side? High Arches

See a front, back and lots of side and Middle? Flat Feet, low arches

See a blue flashing light? You have taken too many steps and are now

out side with some 'splainin to do.

BEST BOOK on FEET: Salvatore Feragamo's Book. Changed how I thought about feet and footware.

Sunny

One Too Many
LondonLuke said:
There's a space on the inside of the foot, but not on the outside?
Yes, that's how a "regular" arch is suppposed to be. Miss Crisplock explained it better. Best of all would be in something like ink, as with a baby's footprints. A regular arch would leave a C-like shape. A flat foot, like my brother's, leaves a very very fat C, with very little or no "bite" out of the inside. A high arch leaves not a C at all, just the heel and ball of the foot. The thinner the C, the higher the arch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran