Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

metropd

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
I'm 18, and have been wearing my hair in a pompadour since I was 10. I was always into vintage, I've went through a few vintage phases. I was your leather jacket fonzie type for awhile, then went to a fedora wearer with an old school hunting jacket, white collared shirt, dress pants, and loafers, and have now settled into an average middle-class semi-rural suburbanite 1950's individual I guess I would call it. I always dress vintage or vintage inspired and have many many friends who were in their prime during the 1950s. My friends who are my age find it so amusing how I can keep up in a conversation with someone so much older than myself and know the pop-culture and the lifestyle and what-not.

Not a very good pic, but I don't take a lot of photos of myself.

newphone.jpg

I like both Pics especially the first one.:eusa_clap

JennyLou

Practically Family
My name is Jennifer Sison an I'm 22. I'm a history/ music major in college. I grew up watching classic movies and listening to swing music. One day about 3 or 4 years ago I dress up for a party not intentionally trying to dress vintage. A person at the party said I looked like I was from that 1940s. Thats where it started I guess. My interest increased when I saw a guy all decked out in 1940s attire at a high school marching band competition. I eventually found out who he was and a year later this guy became one of my best friends and I even joined his swing orchestra. He inspired me to dress more vintage. We are no longer friends and my interest in dressing vintage had almost dissappeared for about a year until recently when I volunteered at a Military museum and found some other people who dress up. I hope I can become someone who dresses vintage eveyday and meet new people to share this interest with.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Wow, this thread is so old that while I belonged in it in the beginning, I'm not sure I still do. I was 22 on the first page, 25 now.

Good to see new people coming in, to replace us oldsters dying off. ;)

*waves cane* but now, to chase some kids off my lawn! *teeters away*

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Im 17

well, for me living in vintage started when I was like...10 or so. I always kind of felt out of place, like I didn't belong. I felt, acted, spoke, in a much older fashion than most children my own age. At 10 I discovered Big Band and Swing, and. I have always had a fascination with newsboy and Gatsby caps and Fedoras to the point where my grandfather gave me all of his! I remember that i would read these books with the old diction in it and I would use those phrases in everyday conversation, LOL I remember when I was in 2nd grade I got in trouble for saying "hog wash"!! I was always proper, I never liked hip-hop, rap, basically anything from the 40s and below music wise was where it was at for me. I love listening to the 1907 recording of Enrico Caruso Pagliacci - Vesti la Guibba. Everything about the 20s-40s was so, clean cut and respectable, men wore suits and hats everyday, women wore dresses....and then the 80s happened.

I collected old pocket watches, and basically anything I thought was over 60 years old! (including guns;) ) I was a kid I didn't know any better. When other kids were listening to P-Fiddy or whatever on there ipods in class, I was listening to " Scott Joplin's Concert Waltz "Bethena" on the Ipod I painted to look like a pack of camels! I don't identify with kids my own age, I have 2 kinds of peers, the ones I grew up with in this generation and the ones that have grown before me that I learn from. Around 14 I became infatuated with the 1st World War, and then the 2nd, and when I turned 15 I worked at the Orange County Antique Mall in Old Towne Orange, that was a my favorite job, to be around old things every day and get to touch pieces of the past. I became a WWII reenactor with the California Historical Group around the same time.Also when I started restoring tanks (but thats another story) The friends I have made in reenacting have opened so many doors. Like Kurt (Teabg1927) he's the one that got me involved in the Granada, and that prompted me to get my first (repro) 3 piece zoot suit, I have finally found my little niche it feels like. I'm glad Kurt told me about this place. This is alright.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
oh jeez cherry, since your argument was so convincing :p...

recent photo (as of today) with my same old mug and a new hair style/decision...and i like contrasted b/w photos so...

DSCF1310-1.jpg

i'm with atomic...mi dyon't dig tyakin' dem click-click of mi face...

JennyLou

Practically Family
GranadaGuy617 said:
I became a WWII reenactor with the California Historical Group around the same time.Also when I started restoring tanks (but thats another story) The friends I have made in reenacting have opened so many doors. Like Kurt (Teabg1927) he's the one that got me involved in the Granada, and that prompted me to get my first (repro) 3 piece zoot suit, I have finally found my little niche it feels like. I'm glad Kurt told me about this place. This is alright.

I have always wanted to do WWII reenacting. Wanted to for years but never really knew how to get into it and knew I would never be able to afford it. I started volunteering at the American Militray Museum in So. El Monte (right now were working on restoring a M8 armored vehicle). There I met some other volunteers who are in the British Airborne who told be more about reenacting. I decided to contact the 45th Field Hospital. This was recently so I'm still waiting to meet them. Slowly I have started getting together the uniform and equipment I need. I have some amazing friends but I've always wanted to meet other people who appreciate history as much as I do. Because of Fedora Lounge I know I'm not the only one out there like me.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
That is alright!!! The 45th is a great bunch of ladies. You volunteer at the tank museum? Thats rad!!!

JennyLou said:
I have always wanted to do WWII reenacting. Wanted to for years but never really knew how to get into it and knew I would never be able to afford it. I started volunteering at the American Militray Museum in So. El Monte (right now were working on restoring a M8 armored vehicle). There I met some other volunteers who are in the British Airborne who told be more about reenacting. I decided to contact the 45th Field Hospital. This was recently so I'm still waiting to meet them. Slowly I have started getting together the uniform and equipment I need. I have some amazing friends but I've always wanted to meet other people who appreciate history as much as I do. Because of Fedora Lounge I know I'm not the only one out there like me.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
lol its something, not much difference from what I do, timing the fan belts on the dual engines of Stuarts and installing interphone systems in them is as far as I go...lol its strange how I love being covered up to my neck in WWII Grease my teacher said it best, it was like being covered in history.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I prefer smelling history rather than being covered in it. I've always believe that history has a smell. I tell people this and they think I'm crazy. A history smell is the fragrance you smell as you walk into an old home, smell a vintage piece of clothing, walk into an antique shop, etc. or my favorite smell- when I walk into a museum that has old military vehicles. Hmm.. maybe I am crazy :p

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Nah ur not, I am with you on that, the smell of musty old canvas is addictive. History does a smell and it is Awesome! Smell is the most powerful sense a person has, its the keys to a lot of things...to taste to memories.

JennyLou said:
I prefer smelling history rather than being covered in it. I've always believe that history has a smell. I tell people this and they think I'm crazy. A history smell is the fragrance you smell as you walk into an old home, smell a vintage piece of clothing, walk into an antique shop, etc. or my favorite smell- when I walk into a museum that has old military vehicles. Hmm.. maybe I am crazy :p

JennyLou

Practically Family
Oh, I'm so glad you guys know what I'm talking about. Now I don't feel so crazy. :)

Diamondback you make perfect sense and it does defy explanation. I guess my problem has been trying to explain it to others but it's something you just know.

GranadaGuy617, that is so true about smell being powerful and also music can bring up so many memories.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I too am young, I'm only sixteen, but I was raised in an enviroment bound to turn out a vintage enthusiast. My parents are both very conservative (in a good way) I have a dad who never takes off his stetson except when indoors, a mother who hasn't worn pants since highschool and who considers anything above the knee lewd. My Grandfather is a swing dancer who impersonates Elvis in local clubs and my Uncle is a film buff who's been to the James Dean festival every year since he was 19

Working in an antique mall is the best job you can have, in my opinion. I've worked at two of them, and I was never happier, besides working at my dad's gun store.

There is definately a feel that older items hold, that can bring a charm to any place. We built a new house a year and a half ago, and I didn't like it, because it was just too cold, too industrial, too...new. But once we got our antiques in here, it really turned this house into a home and gave it that feel that I grew up with.

And you can be conservative in a bad way?

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
yeah it is, it sucks that now I remembered all the dealers who sold vintage clothing!! Lol when I was younger I would spend days in the back of my Gramps Gunshop I would just sit in the back watch TV and eat oranges, good memories. lol

jaw1993

New in Town
Hi Im seventeen, and I have never really been interested in the whole obsesively following fashion no matter what it is, or dressing like a chav. I have always been very interested in vintage clothes and life style, Ive mainly been inspried by the suitcase that belonged to my great grandfather and I know use it all the time.
Its something that has marked me out as diffrent when I turn up to school wearing a suit, unlike other people in the sixth form who are wearing trackie bottoms or ubber baggy jeans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy