Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CharlieH. said:
You've said it, brother...
Sometimes I'm puzzled at the fact that I can get away with cussing in public, but get dirty looks for tipping my hat.

Oh, keep tipping your hat, its a VERY appreciated gesture to those that know :)

LD

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I'm now 26 and I caught the vintage bug when I was about 12. When I turned 15 my parents bought me a repro zoot suit for christmas. shortly thereafter I began searching for the perfect '40s gab shirt to wear with it. The search continues to this day.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm 15. I like to think of myself as polite.

gotta keep the cool going into the next generation you know.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I'm liking these stories. Makes you really wonder who else is out there who hasn't found the home base of vintage lifestyle. I guess you could say I've never been interested in anything new, but then you'd be putting bad words in my mouth. Every few years is a new life style for me. I was into magic, I was into collecting mattresses and using them for wrestling with a stuffed wetsuit while watching the WWF (it wasn't E yet), being a skater, experiencing every culture of taste and style you can probably think of, though I'm sorry to say I never wore dreadlocks and listened to Reggae with a Jamaican accent (l do listen to reggae nonetheless).

Well, I've probably always listened to music from the 50's since who knows, I only remember so much. My parents owned and still own the same albums they did then, most with 50's-80's music. I listened to bands like Blink 182, Green Day, all those punkish bands of the 90's. You can expect my hair was a shear spiking. But HATS have always been a facination. Since getting a novelty from Disneyland, I collected as many as possible. Jester? Yes. Crown? Not yet. Newsboy? Well, that was the beginning.

My grandfather had a lot of newsboys, which still sit on the hat hooks to this day. He gave me one. I wore it like it was a hat, not like it was a toy (like the novelties). I wore it backwards, forwards, not sideways though. You could say I never dressed "normal". Yes I did wear black all around, but my shoes were always something special, they always will be. Not your normal converse allstars thanks to a new found shoe store in Hollywood I came across years ago.

See, I always liked unusual, unique things, but I've hardly collected them, I just saw and thought, "that's neat". Vintage things come into that category even though they weren't unusual then. My uncle on my mom's side is responsible for the Old Time Radio, classic cars, and antiques, as my uncle on my dad's side is also for antiques. My parents for the records, movies for the clothing, along with certain places that I happened to see them in, and I've always enjoyed learning history. Buildings of a bygone time are a sight to see, that they have stood there for so long and to think what actually occured in and out of them is a complete mystery. As are many other things of the past.

Everyone and everything has a story to tell, no matter what it is. Anything and everything has some effect on me, and I like a piece of it all, but as far as this year is concerned, you could say the 30's and 40's are on this years interest list. But I just enjoy the exuberance of the 20th Century in whole. Not one decade is better than the other in my book.
You could say the 20th Century was where many things of this day and age began.
You can say a lot with history. :D

oh by the way, I'm 21 as of this year. :p

Snookie

Practically Family
I'm 24, and I got into vintage when I was 16, in 1998. I got into it because of swing dancing, but I had loved the culture for years before being aware of what I was attracted to. I liked the children's books from the Golden Era, I'd listen to my parents' big band records, and I loved the Chimpunk girls when they did the Andrews Sisters routine. I went through some phases of interest in other periods, too (especially Rennaisance and Mod), but mid-20th century stuck. Mostly, I think, because I have an activity to go with it.

The funny thing is, I'm pretty "grown-up" in most areas of my life, but with this hobby I go for a jitterbug/flapper/bobbysoxer look. The last thing I need is a hobby that makes me serious.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lol After thinking about it for a while, I realized I'm 25, not 24. Whoops!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I'm 21 (at least for the next month or so), and I think I've always been attracted to the past. I happened upon the Fedora Lounge while looking for tips on how to do pin curls. Though I still haven't quite mastered the pin curl, I love that this site exists and that there's such a strong community of like-minded people.

I'm interested in cultivating a more vintage look, so I guess I'm in the right place!

I was 25 when I found this place & being as it's just been bumped from 2006 I feel I am allowed to write here :p

I've always adored old movies & things, mainly for the clothes. I've always liked kinda vintage styles, but only in the last year or so have actually ventured into actually trying anything out with regards to my own wardrobe. As a consequence I have a maxed out credit card & a constant need for setting lotion...

Found this place sometime before Chirstmas 2007. No idea how lol

Now I'm here too often probably [huh]

alexandra

Practically Family
I'm 20 and I have no idea why I have such an attachment to the 1940's, but have since I was practically out of the womb.

The golden era as a whole I can understand- I have much older parents than my friends (born in 1950). My mum was raised in a very proper and old fashioned home, and my dad is rather eccentric and similar to me so he has always appreciated old things. I was raised on black and white films and had never heard music beyond 1969 until I was 12 years old. AM Radio and vinyl were what I listened to for the most part. I went to garage sales with my dad every Saturday morning and lived in a house that is overflowing with old things. When the power would go out in the town and people complained, I always just wondered why they didn't light all their oil lamps like we did. When my friends came over for the first time they'd say "It's like we went into a time machine" like it was the strangest thing ever. I was equally shocked by their homes though.

All in all though, I would say I was more exposed to the 50's and the teens and 20's than the 40's (probably because my parents weren't alive in the 40's but it was way too close to them to be of interest) I just got attached somehow.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I'm 22 and I've always had a fascination with all things vintage from clothing to the lifestyle in general. I dunno, I think people back then cared more about how they presented themselves to the world and I've always admired that aspect of the past.

Pip

A-List Customer
Hi all,

well I'm 18 so I guess I qualify for this one haha.

Thinking back...I think I've always had a love of all things 'vintage', living in a house built in 1812 and surrounded by items from since then (lots of 1930's furniture) I've simply developed a love for it all.

I'm also incredibly interested in the 1930's and 1940's and actively take part in the living history/reenacting hobby/scene, so its more or less ingrained into my blood now, the politeness of the times, style of wearing things etc.

Although I don't look particularly 'vintage' during the weekdays, I try to incorporate as much of the look into the way I dress and act as much as I can.

Apologies for the poorly constructed reply, but have a major exam tomorrow and I'm slightly erm...worried about it lol

Cheers,
Phil

alexandra

Practically Family
Pip said:
major exam tomorrow and I'm slightly erm...worried about it lol

Cheers,
Phil

The most important thing about exams is getting a full sleep before it. It's not even to do with all that crap they tell you about feeling well rested either, it's simply that when you sleep your memory stores the information from that day and obviously that's what you want.

So don't stress because as long as you simply go over what you need to know and relax, your brain will do all the work for you while you sleep. People totally forget about the awesome power of the brain during exams.

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
I am 23!
I have loved vintage since I was 16! I have a closet full of Vintage, But I dont wear it all the time( it would Ruin it) But I do style my hair Vintage;along with my Make up as well.I pretty much have seen every Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Rosalind Russell Film!

miss_elise

Practically Family
i'm 24, i've always been interesting in old stuff, i even made my own medieval outfit when i was 12...

i've become at lot more "modern" as i've aged... i've managed to make it all the way to the 1940's... lol.... i've always loved the old movies and music, so i guess i've been inspired from everywhere

DerMann

Practically Family
Starting midway through my Junior year of highschool (16 at the time), I became enthralled by all things vintage.

What might have really spurred it was the fact that my first car was a manual transmission. It just got me thinking about the age of that technology and how much better it was than automatics.

Around that time I also gave up on "hoodies" for more traditional jackets. I had a really nice mechanic's style jacket from Old Navy that I wore out in a hurry.

I had always been very particular about my shoes as well. I never liked the way cross trainers looked on my feet. Sketchers made a few pairs of boots that I really enjoyed with cargo pants/shorts.

Eventually, my attire and accoutrements evolved into what they are today. Leather soled oxfords, highish waisted trousers, braces, proper shirt with double cuffs, a wide variety of sportjackets, fountain pens (officially addicted now), pocket watch (needs to be cleaned...), and vintage looking glasses.

The Sheridan Club had been a favourite board of mine, as it catered to Anglophiles such as myself. There were a few references to this Lounge on that board, and I recall trying to join one time, but I did not (and still do not) have an email address with my ISP (I used my mom's), as my ISP is terrible, and only allows for 100MB of inbox space compared with the 1GB of space I've used out of the 6GB on GMail.

Funny enough, I had always been a very patriotic American prior to my infection of Anglophilia. Now, thanks in part to the Sheridan Club, I jocularly use the term Former Colonies for the US and other quasi-Empire slang terms.

Here's a picture of me on my last day of school standing in front of the sign for my new Alma Mater:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/538/wabashsignpp3.jpg

I really like double breasted jackets, but that's the only one I own. I bought it off eBay knowing it was a size too big, but it fits me "okay." The sleeves are a longer than they need to be and I really think it would look great as a 6x2 instead of a 6x1 (a tailor could probably solve both of these problems). But hey. It was $25 shipped.

Here's a picture of my date and I before prom:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9296/img0819gz7.jpg

I spent way too much money, wayyyyy to much.

Oh, and I'm 17 until November (miss the election by days).

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I'm 19.

I've always been interested in history (I remember dragging my parents to historical reinactments in elementary school), and dressing up (I was once in a Colonial America fashion show). When I got to high school I started doing makeup and costume stuff as a hobby. When I got to university I was surrounded by 'classic cinema' 24/7 (I'm a film student) and it just started rubbing off on my personal style. I discovered the Lounge while searching for hair tips for a Jessica-Tandy-in-The-Birds Halloween costume.

And now I can be spotted riding my vintage lime-green beach cruiser to class, clad in 50's shirtwaist dresses and bizarre hats.

lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm 20, and I guess I started experimenting with vintage when I was around 14. I was into punk (still am), so I used to dye my hair blue and wear black dickies and random thrifted shirts. Later in high school I began to get into rockabilly and psychobilly, so my style shifted to more rockabilly/50's pin-up look. Even before that I was very much into collecting vintage photographs. I was obsessed with the aesthetics of past eras and was so interested in these people's lives. I think collecting vintage clothing is very related to that.

Around 18 I re-discovered my love for Dita von Teese and 1940's glamour and really started to do vintage hair and makeup and collect more vintage clothing. I've always dressed different, but vintage really suits me and made me feel so much more confident about how I looked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy