Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your all time fav Leather Jacket (1-2) you own or have owned

peanutbutterjellychoo

New in Town
Not exactly an expert on leather jackets and new to the game but I will give this a go. My most recent purchase via Denim and Iron in tea core Horsehide by Y’2 leathers Osaka. I believe this model is the HR-55 Vintage D-Pocket Double riders. The jacket fits like a dream and zero break in required for this 1.4mm hide. The horsehide grain is beautiful with a light shine to it. The way the jacket is constructed also provides me with a full range of motion. A real joy to wear! I can see myself keeping this for a long time provided I don’t put on too much weight

Attachments

• AACCB8EE-6645-4A66-929A-9119AB225A61.jpeg
    AACCB8EE-6645-4A66-929A-9119AB225A61.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 172

zebedee

One Too Many
An Aero Highwayman that I've had for over ten years and a new Café Racer in tan steer hide. These are previous pics, but I'm at work, etc. This was my first purchase and made me an Aero customer to the extent that I've only ever bought one non-Aero leather jacket in a similar price range.

72880CAF-A2FB-4DFF-ADE8-41F8F6D6551A.jpeg

7C345C7D-AAE8-41CE-A240-2A12C1CE357B.jpeg

Last edited:

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I have eight leather jackets currently. I don’t know how many I have owned in total. 25 maybe? 30? Well, it’s actually not hard at all to pick two favourites out of all those. These are forever keepers, no matter what happens.

Brooks gold label

View attachment 335617

Sears Oakbrook d-pocket
View attachment 335618

This post did not age with dignity. The Brooks is sold and the Oakbrook is currently sitting in the Classifieds.
"Forever keepers, no matter what happens", my ass. Vanson C2 and Comet happened and they pushed these hard out of rotation.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This post did not age with dignity. The Brooks is sold and the Oakbrook is currently sitting in the Classifieds.
"Forever keepers, no matter what happens", my ass. Vanson C2 and Comet happened and they pushed these hard out of rotation.

That's called the learning curve, you went beyond the early learning stage lol

Always fun to review old posts to see what was your thought process... on my first order to Thedi, I asked if they could use chrome tanned leather lol

El Marro

That's called the learning curve, you went beyond the early learning stage lol

Always fun to review old posts to see what was your thought process... on my first order to Thedi, I asked if they could use chrome tanned leather lol
Very funny to think back on the early days. After a week on the lounge, I wanted horsehide, nothing but horsehide because everything else was inferior. At first it was CXL, then it was Shinki, and then I opened my eyes and realized that there are many wonderful hides and the names and labels really don’t matter that much at all.

Blackadder

My RM J100 is still my favourite. I have since bought an original J100, a HD Sportster, a Beck 666. The narrower sleeves of the RM still makes it my favourite. I have put on some weight and RM j24 and FW San Mateo sadly don't fit anymore.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Not exactly an expert on leather jackets and new to the game but I will give this a go. My most recent purchase via Denim and Iron in tea core Horsehide by Y’2 leathers Osaka. I believe this model is the HR-55 Vintage D-Pocket Double riders. The jacket fits like a dream and zero break in required for this 1.4mm hide. The horsehide grain is beautiful with a light shine to it. The way the jacket is constructed also provides me with a full range of motion. A real joy to wear! I can see myself keeping this for a long time provided I don’t put on too much weight
After I received my Y'2 HR-55 I put the jacket up for sale within minutes. The fit was perfect but the Leather felt like plastic, completely stuffed with paint also the nylon lining in the sleeves was not to my liking a catch and release jacket...

zebedee

One Too Many
I'd never sell this Highwayman. It was my first Aero, still may favourite and gets better every year. Received when my kid was an infant and she's almost 14 now.

It's also got the best inner and hand warmer pockets I've had. Seem to be lined in cotton drill.

Did I just accidentally resurrect a very dead thread?

Photo on 28-4-2023 at 5.18 PM.jpg

Last edited:

jonbuilder

My cream-colored 50s Buco J100 sie 44. I don't know how long never is, I am 73 remodeling our kitchen and last week cutting up hard chestnut tree stumps to the ground sized 48" to 60" with a 30" chainsaw. I do feel my age at the end of the day. life is easier when my tractor is not broken and I work from the tractor rather than work the hills on foot. Either way by mid-afternoon I usually sitting on our patio with my dog and drinking beer while the two of us overlook the kingdom. No more long work days
02EE1867-4D9F-49E3-85F8-375071008679_1_105_c.jpeg
2D1010DD-2B43-40AE-B716-9D5A391F0B8E_1_105_c.jpeg
0B48A831-7743-4F21-BCF3-63194679143D_1_105_c.jpeg
6DE49680-DC85-477C-85AB-A9D393789D51_1_105_c.jpeg
6F445889-88D4-4CA2-A227-6F85A85AF532_1_105_c.jpeg

Damon141

Practically Family
My cream-colored 50s Buco J100 sie 44. I don't know how long never is, I am 73 remodeling our kitchen and last week cutting up hard chestnut tree stumps to the ground sized 48" to 60" with a 30" chainsaw. I do feel my age at the end of the day. life is easier when my tractor is not broken and I work from the tractor rather than work the hills on foot. Either way by mid-afternoon I usually sitting on our patio with my dog and drinking beer while the two of us overlook the kingdom. No more long work days View attachment 515424 View attachment 515426 View attachment 515427 View attachment 515428 View attachment 515430
Amazing condition!!!!
There is a 40 similar on a well known Japanese IG/site that are known to go for top dollar though. I'll never forget the first time I saw this color was on John Chapman's site.

Rookie question: were these cream when new or white and darken over the 50 plus years?

jonbuilder

were these cream when new or white and darken over the 50 plus years?
Cream from New. I dated from the 50s because the latter 60s J100 had tear-drop pocket zips. I purchased it here and the previous owner claimed it was 50s. I sold a 60s back J100 that I had worn the hell out of for eight years for the same price I purchased this gym. The back was a 46 and the cream size 44 fit e better

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Edit: Marc mndt
You have acquired a considerable collection of excellent jackets in no time. Now it's time to take stock, smile...
I hear you, I feel like my collection is nearing completion. More than enough amazing jackets to enjoy, both vintage and repro.
I'd like to hear from you which three jackets you would call the top three and why. I only refer to reproductions (regius, fl, thedi etc.) I'm not interested in the originals and no relation to the fit (because this is a spec thing) just craftsmanship & materials... would be cool to hear from you, thank you!
Good question but actually quite an easy one to answer.

My all time favorite jacket is my first Thedi. I was told I'm not allowed to discuss fit so I'll stick to materials and craftsmanship. Construction of this jacket is 100% flawless, lots of nice details like corduroy lined pockets and the leather armpit inserts, beautiful full aniline horsehide.

C96B7B13-D8EE-4E49-8E91-EF9BE7FEFB6C.jpeg

IMG_8162.jpeg

Second favorite, my Field Leathers aviator. Although not 100% flawless, the construction is very neat. Nice details like original 30s buttons and zipper. Beautiful semi aniline leather, the graining is really something. It looks and feels like a vintage original.

E5C1CC35-9FB8-41B0-8A31-2F88DF0E1C44.jpeg
IMG_8346.jpeg

Third favorite, my Regius aviator. Construction quality is similar to the Field Leathers, neat but not 100% flawless. Lots of interesting details like the stitching on the sleeve adjusters, panelled (top stitched!) lining, corduroy lined pockets, union label and amazing inverted pleats on the back. The hermann oak heritage steerhide is like nothing else. Thick and firm without being stiff. Hardware is original 30s.

5294A85E-10D2-4F5D-A93D-991AC9F3DE9E.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Basically 3 aviator jackets. Beautiful! Each one so unique. Next step - Marc enrolls into an aviation/pilot course and eventually ends up collecting and flying vintage inspired planes.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Basically 3 aviator jackets. Beautiful! Each one so unique. Next step - Marc enrolls into an aviation/pilot course and eventually ends up collecting and flying vintage inspired planes.
Lol. Good observation, I guess I really do love those aviators. They're not as 'busy' as a motorcycle jacket yet more interesting than a halfbelt.

What makes these jackets extra special for me is that they're made by awesome people, to my personal specifications.

zebedee

One Too Many
I have the odd theory that if a person bought a well-fitting leather jacket from any of the reputable manufacturers and then wore if a lot for 5+ years without permitting himself to buy any other leather jackets , that person would have formed a lifelong keeper jacket. Originally, I had two (a short one and a button one) out of need due to very cold winters, and then, somehow, I had more. Now, I arguably have too many, but I try to wear the hell out of them.

I've only really parted with jackets due to sizing or not living in the right climate; the amount of wear I put into a jacket definitely increases my reluctance to sell them. I have given a couple away to friends who wouldn't have been able to afford one and sold one at a super low price to my favourite barman. Ideally, we'd all have one all-purpose jacked that was whatever colour goes with everything and teacored in our favourite base-shades.

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Lol. Good observation, I guess I really do love those aviators. They're not as 'busy' as a motorcycle jacket yet more interesting than a halfbelt.

What makes these jackets extra special for me is that they're made by awesome people, to my personal specifications.
They all look fantastic on you Marc … well done!

Leigh H

Practically Family
I hear you, I feel like my collection is nearing completion. More than enough amazing jackets to enjoy, both vintage and repro.

Good question but actually quite an easy one to answer.

My all time favorite jacket is my first Thedi. I was told I'm not allowed to discuss fit so I'll stick to materials and craftsmanship. Construction of this jacket is 100% flawless, lots of nice details like corduroy lined pockets and the leather armpit inserts, beautiful full aniline horsehide.

View attachment 533019
View attachment 533023

Second favorite, my Field Leathers aviator. Although not 100% flawless, the construction is very neat. Nice details like original 30s buttons and zipper. Beautiful semi aniline leather, the graining is really something. It looks and feels like a vintage original.

View attachment 533020 View attachment 533024

Third favorite, my Regius aviator. Construction quality is similar to the Field Leathers, neat but not 100% flawless. Lots of interesting details like the stitching on the sleeve adjusters, panelled (top stitched!) lining, corduroy lined pockets, union label and amazing inverted pleats on the back. The hermann oak heritage steerhide is like nothing else. Thick and firm without being stiff. Hardware is original 30s.

View attachment 533021 View attachment 533022

Wow!! I love the yellow lining and the fit looks perfect Marc.

I'm jealous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner