Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Chanfan said:
Oh, and as for Cynar, well, I like artichokes rather a lot. But I agree, I'm not sure I'd have thought of basing a beverage on them.

My copy of the Aperitif Companion mentions that Cynar was selling over a million bottles per annum by 1951, after being introduced in 1949. At the time of publication (1998) they had sales of 12 million. It's supposed to be the 2nd best selling bitters in the world, after Campari.

It's named after cynarina, a substance extracted from artichoke leaves, but also contains many other herbs and spices. Apparently, in it's home country, it's drunk as a digestivo - after meals, but almost everywhere else, as an aperitivo.

Apparently ways to enjoy it include:

Straight.
On the rocks.
With soda, an orange slice, and ice.
50/50 with cola, perhaps with lemon or lime slices.
50/50 with tonic, again with lemon or lime.

Hmmm,...now I'm almost half convinced to try some,...almost. Now if someone offers me a nice big frosty mug of Cynar, I will at least taste it to be polite. :D
Thanks for the info.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Artichokes

I seem to remember from Victory Garden many moons ago that artichokes in Europe come from a plant that's a perennial. It's too tender to grow in the US, so we get artichokes from another variety that's an annual. Ours are fairly good tasting, but supposedly the fruit form the European variety is much tastier. So when we think "artichoke" we may not really be thinking of the same plant.

dhermann1 said:
I seem to remember from Victory Garden many moons ago that artichokes in Europe come from a plant that's a perennial. It's too tender to grow in the US, so we get artichokes from another variety that's an annual. Ours are fairly good tasting, but supposedly the fruit form the European variety is much tastier. So when we think "artichoke" we may not really be thinking of the same plant.

Gee, I have had no problem growing artichokes year round here. I must have the europena variety. [huh] The seed came from Burpees. I forget the variety name now though. :eek:
All I know is I can't have my artichoke liqueur with mayonnaise. :p

Regards,

J

Rum snob

Mia culpe. I have skipped the previous 13 paged to just jump right in.

Call me what you will, I'm a rum snob. White, clear rums are great for daiquiris or rum and cokes. Give me well aged smoky rums like:

Mount Gay Eclipse or Extra Old - Barbados
Cockspur - Barbados
Appleton Estate - Jamacia
Brugal - Dominican Republic
Barbancourt 5 Star - Haiti
Matusalem Gran Reserva - Cuba
Cacique - Venezuela
Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos - Cuba
Aniversario Reserva Exclusiva - Venezuela

Most of these are enjoyed with tonic, yes tonic, in a pint glass with a large wedge of lime. Some of the higher rated ones are also great on the rocks with a splash of water and a squeeze of lime.

The best sipping rum - El Dorado Special Reserve. 15 years old. The finest Demerara rum. It's from Guyana. Nector of the Gods. Sipping it with while smoking a Cuaba.....Give me a minute......okay I'm back, Heaven.

But what I've been kicking back lately is a 92 proof spiced rum (hint of cherry at the end) called Sailor Jerry. Mixed with tonic in a tall glass with a big wedge of lime --- they go down waayyy too smooth. It's not expensive or top drawer, but the damn stuff really is good.

And here's something for you "vintage" buffs. On the inside of the back label are examples of "Sailor" Jerry Collins' "flash", or renditions of some of his tattoo girls from the 30's. These are examples of what the Navy boys might have sported on their deltoid or down on their forearm when they were cruising the South Seas. So far I've discovered five different "sweethearts" behind the labels. As they used to say - "Collect them all !". Give it a try.

Amazing an old cowboy knows this kinda stuff ? Bottoms up!

Robin

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I currently can't get Pappy Van Winkle's 20 yr. Bourbon off my mind. It's amazing.

Also, a vendor gave me a sample of Grey Goose's Le Poire which is infused with Anjou Pears. It's really stunning... much better than most flavored vodkas, it's more along the lines of Hangar One. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with it for Summer... maybe a bit of 7 and some muddled mint or basil??

lindylady

A-List Customer
I like a well made mojito with real mint leaves, not that mix stuff. There is a brand of Jamaican rum that I prefer, but the name isn't coming to me right now. For martinis, I prefer Finlandia. It's quite smooth. I plan on trying out Grey Goose Le Poire one of these days.

Mojito

One Too Many
We do the same, Gentleman Farmer - have pots of mint growing by the kitchen door. Also lime trees in pots, so every now and then we can use our own limes to make them.

Haven't yet got around to growing our own palm or cane sugar, though! If I need to make a lot up in a hurry, I'll make sugar syrup with palm sugar. Otherwise, we have a vast granite mortar and pestle that do magic things for muddling (as long as you don't over-pulverise the ingredients and turn it to slush!).

Limes in Sydney are particularly ripe and juicy at the moment - or have been for the last few weeks.

Hondo

One Too Many
Chivas

I enjoy Chivas 12 year old scotch, but in my late years I go easy on the stuff, when I was a kid (over 21) scotch & coke were great :eusa_clap

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
im a rookie to scotch ive only had Glenfiddich of which i am fond however reading this informative thread has made me wish perhaps that i was more broad minded.

Mojito

One Too Many
After all the talk of Pisco in this thread, I was confronted with a huge new Dan Murphy's store opening near a friend's house. I was able to grab one bottle of something before they dragged me out again (we were running late for a BBQ). Pisco proved easiest to find on my list of spirits I was on the lookout for, so now it's waiting for me to get around to making a Pisco Sour.

I need to see if I can find some of this Sailor Jerry, though! Until recently, any spiced rum was unheard of over here, but they're starting to filter through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy