Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

celtic

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Celticgent is in da house! :eusa_clap

sup chevy?

haven't touched a drop of the old green monster nor any udder hooch in ages. but i soitenly miss you silly bastages.

cheerio, old chap!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Rosie said:
I'm not much of a liquor drinker but I am partial to Japanes plum wine. I generally like most sweet liqours.

Really? I find that fascinating...i really was not enamoured, and i can drink just about anything:)

olive bleu

One Too Many
as for what i do like..

Scotch-probably Dalwhinnie is my favourite, but , you know, I really enjoy most any single-malt,just make it neat.

I also like Bombay Sapphire Gin, on the rocks.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
beaucaillou said:
I currently can't get Pappy Van Winkle's 20 yr. Bourbon off my mind.
Have you tried cold compresses and tomato-and-kraut juice?

Hey, I had this very, very smooth small-label bourbon in Washington, DC a year ago that was 18 years old. Anybody know what it might've been? (They told me, but I forgot along about the third glass.)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I definitely lean to Bourbon. My favorites are J W Dant and Dickel Sour Mash, which technically aren't bourbons, since they're made in Tennessee, rather than Kentucky. Still exactly the same thing. Smooth and mellow.
IIRC, Tennessee whiskies are charcoal filtered, whereas bourbons aren't.

Oh, yes. Wild Turkey isn't exactly chopped liver, either.
But you could wind up with one, so be prudent.

ever make glog? That'll wake you right up and put you right to sleep!
Years ago there was a Swedish restaurant on W. 55th that did a Santa Lucia night at Xmas time. They served a delicious sm??rg?•sbord along with gl??gg (or Gl?ºhwein as the Germans call it) - red wine, spiced, with vodka. Then girls from a Swedish school someplace would come thru singing, in white gowns with flaming candles in their hair. It was fantastic.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Have you tried cold compresses and tomato-and-kraut juice?

Hey, I had this very, very smooth small-label bourbon in Washington, DC a year ago that was 18 years old. Anybody know what it might've been? (They told me, but I forgot along about the third glass.)

Can you tell us a bit more than that?

Was it Elijah Craig? They do a 18yr. I think Buffalo Trace does also, but I may be mistaken.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
As far as scotch, my casual scotch is Cragganmore 12. Always pleasing. And every now and then I treat myself to Lagavulin. It's amazing to see it so (relatively) widely available here, since back home only the few good bars got about 1 btl. per year.

I also appreciate Oban & Talisker.

My Bourbon phase still being in full swing, I've decided I don't care of Basil Hayden's, but do care for Russell's. Also, Booker's over Baker's for me. Eagle Rare has that great milk chocolate note, Woodford always does the trick, and Elmer T. Lee is always a great way to treat one's self.

My vodka of choice is still currently Hangar One, but I have a feeling my taste is changing in that department, so probably not for much longer.

Cheers all.

beaucaillou said:
As far as scotch, my casual scotch is Cragganmore 12. Always pleasing. And every now and then I treat myself to Lagavulin. It's amazing to see it so (relatively) widely available here, since back home only the few good bars got about 1 btl. per year.

I also appreciate Oban & Talisker.

Wow! I am in some good company. You are a good judge of Scotch. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Washington

New in Town
beaucaillou said:
My Bourbon phase still being in full swing, I've decided I don't care of Basil Hayden's, but do care for Russell's. Also, Booker's over Baker's for me. Eagle Rare has that great milk chocolate note, Woodford always does the trick, and Elmer T. Lee is always a great way to treat one's self.

Can you tell me more about these...I've been a dedicated Gin drinker (as evident by the avatar) but I've taken to Kentucky Bourbon as of late and really enjoy Elijah Craig. Have to admit I like the price too, as the State Store seems to always have it on sale. I've tried one or two others but (Maker's Mark among them) but don't want to change just for the sake of it.

Thanks,
Washington

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Washington said:
Can you tell me more about these...I've been a dedicated Gin drinker (as evident by the avatar) but I've taken to Kentucky Bourbon as of late and really enjoy Elijah Craig. Have to admit I like the price too, as the State Store seems to always have it on sale. I've tried one or two others but (Maker's Mark among them) but don't want to change just for the sake of it.

Thanks,
Washington

Hi Wash.

I'd take it you are drinking the 12yr Elijah then? It's nice stuff, and a great value. I find it to be spicy and hot, with a strong Rye flavor. If you wanted something along the same lines, I'd recommend Buffalo Trace, which still has a bit of spice though with a touch less heat. If you like a mash that's high in Rye, Bulleit is another way to go. It's a bit rough, but not in an unpleasant way. (High Rye content often gives Bourbon a drier, often more structured mouth feel, btw.)

If you'd like something different, a bit more round and generous, I love Eagle Rare. It's a great casual drink, but a bit higher priced, since it's single barrel. More mocha, nut, and vanilla notes. Rounder and a bit fleshier; more traditionally styled (though that's debatable). Woodford Reserve is also more classically styled. Round, rich, deeply flavored. It's the official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby too and is often considered to be to standard, though not always the best.

Blanton's is also on the pricier side as it is single barrel bottled, but it's very classically done: vanilla-ed, caramely, honeyed... text book Bourbon.

I always find the pricier ones are great to taste as a flight of small pours at a bar so that you can compare them along side each other - which helps for a point of reference - and then discover where your tastes lie without having to commit to an entire bottle of any.

Here's where I recommend Pappy Van Winkle's 12 yr because it's my favorite and I feel the best of both worlds. It's round and rich, but structured and interesting. Pretty nuttiness with some burnt sugar, honey, cinnamon and cocoa notes.

Hope this helps!! Let us know what you discover...

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Elijah rings a bell. Must have been that one.

<Fletch returns to frantically scribbling notes as to what libations to bring on Zemke's Pullman trip> ;)

Heh. So scratch off "Apple Pucker" and add on "Elijah Craig"? Good call!

And I'm wrong about Buffalo Trace- - no 18 yr for them, but Van Winkle's Family Reserve Park Ave. is 18.

warbird

One Too Many
My most common drinks are always beer, preferrably dark, wine and port. For liquor I enjoy the occasional martini, single malt scotch or Tennessee whiskey. Jack, Gentleman or Single Barrel are bot alright, but Dickel is my fav. We used to live just down the street from JD plant and not far from Dickel.

A JD truck once over turned in the front yard.. Somehow not all te cases were accounted for in the end.:p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley