Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Loved this game

Since I now inhabit my dad's house, I keep finding cool old stuff that escaped his throwing-out fits. Green Ghost was looking for his son Kelly. http://www.spookshows.com/toys/green/green.htm I recall the box as being huge, but it survives no longer: the game got put into a grocery sack so this camouflage probably saved it from being tossed, and allows me to play with it again.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Well it's classic, and I was a child at the time, so...

At thirteen I had my first roulette wheel, the only toy that made a profit. I also made good use of playing cards - for magic tricks as well as five card stud. Sadly craps never made it to Cornwall, else I'd have probably have given that a crack to round out the action a little.

I was keen on Action Man (the British equivalent of GI Joe) and Star Wars figures before I found the path of vice. Lego (and Meccano to a lesser extent) was a big favourite, too.

olive bleu

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
When I was very young to about 5, I played with my Cowboy guns. We played in "the Woods" alot as there were a fair number of lots on my street with out homes. I played Tarzan with my older brother and cousin a whole lot then too. From 7 to 12 or so I played army with friends or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea or Lost in Space. We rode our bicylces a lot and went to the beach at Copiague and all around. Sand lot football, some basketball, Stickball. I declare war, Scullzees (shuffleboard like game with wax filled bottle caps.) Flashlight tag (at night) and collected lightning bugs.

Plastic Army men, they still probably turn up in the yard at the house my parents owned! A GI Joe for quite a while. i put together plastic models of Military planes and tanks also the Flying Sub from VTTBOTS!

We played Sorry, Parcheesey, Monopoly and cards. My brother's Aurora Model Road Racing track and cars was the source of endless fun.

AND we had a pellet rifle single shot then a Crossman pump BB /Pellet rifle again hours of fun.

Also we got 45 records and would listen to music a lot too.

Wow!! that sounds like my kind of fun John! AS i said, I was quite the Tom boy back then and i could have sworn we were friends:) ! I still indulge my love of playing games in the woods with a rowdy game of paintball once in a while:D

GOK

One Too Many
fleur said:
Fuzzy Felt!

Yes! Plus Space Hoppers and Jacoskates! My youngest son (now 17), who is an avid and rather talented skateboarder, was hugely impressed to discover that his mother, at the age of 14 took apart her rollerskates to make a very basic skateboard! I very nearly impressed him by still being able to do some tricks....ok, that's a huge lie - I fell on flat on my bottom! He laughed. I hurt! :rolleyes:

Did anyone have a Golly? I loved mine to bits!

Mostly though, I loved to read. I still do, although perhaps not Enid Blyton!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Elaina said:
My favorite toy as a kid was a button on a string. Wind and pull and pull for hours.

I had a ton of toys, but I was an outdoor kid. I made my own treehouse and sat up there and read for hours. On that token, my favorite kid books were Ramona Quimoby series....started in the 50's.

Aw! Beezus & Ramona! I loved those books~ I loved the one where she and her friend picked out monkey material to make matching dresses.:p

fleur

One of the Regulars
GOK said:
Yes! Plus Space Hoppers and Jacoskates! My youngest son (now 17), who is an avid and rather talented skateboarder, was hugely impressed to discover that his mother, at the age of 14 took apart her rollerskates to make a very basic skateboard! I very nearly impressed him by still being able to do some tricks....ok, that's a huge lie - I fell on flat on my bottom! He laughed. I hurt! :rolleyes:

Did anyone have a Golly? I loved mine to bits!

Mostly though, I loved to read. I still do, although perhaps not Enid Blyton!

Oooh ooh I had a space hopper! My bro had a Golly and still has - he used to end up in all sorts of games.

I was a bit of a tom boy growing up with male cousins around me so ended up playing cowboys and indians in the Forest of Dean - I also recall playing Jana of the Jungle - anyone remember that cartoon!

I am impressed with your skateboarding skills! Much better than mine although my hubby is pretty good on a skateboard and still has his three from being a teen!

GOK

One Too Many
Nooooo, I'm rubbish on a board - honestly it is pathetic!

Funny how so many of us ladies were actually tomboys as children, eh? I never played with dolls, despite having a bazillion Sindys. One of my favourite games was to dress up as the Norse god, Thor and run around, trying to make lightening bolts! The other one was pretending I was a circus knife thrower and my brother was my assistant! I didn't use knives....I had darts! Mwahahaha! lol

To be honest, I think there is still some residual tomboy-ness - I have a penchant for videogames and have more consoles than most males I know! :D

fleur

One of the Regulars
Holy macaroni!

With regard to the games console I am the same. When hubby goes away with the army I will sit with one of my many consoles and play games lol

Hmmm... knife throwing with darts has to be interesting! I remember making Dutch Arrows every easter and out throwing my male counterparts coz my flights were always cut precisely lol

GOK

One Too Many
fleur said:
Holy macaroni!

With regard to the games console I am the same. When hubby goes away with the army I will sit with one of my many consoles and play games lol

Hmmm... knife throwing with darts has to be interesting! I remember making Dutch Arrows every easter and out throwing my male counterparts coz my flights were always cut precisely lol

Yay, girlz rool! Heheh!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Since my house burned down when I was a senior in high school all the favorite toys of my youth are gone--Barbie doll that "twisted and turned", other assorted dolls, Monopoly game--we'd have weekend marathon games, my portable record player and records. Since I spent a lot of weekends at my grandparents' farm, my favorite toys (when I wasn't out playing in the hayloft or the chicken coop) were Tiddedly Winks and a pair of magnetic Scottie dogs. Those things would keep my occupied for hours. My mom found a tiny magnetic Scottie dog set for me this fall. I'm also looking for a 1930s Tiddedly Winks game. The "bay" always has some, so I'll keep an eye out there. Both those toys were popular in the 30s (and a little before that). So I guess I was even a "vintage child" growing up.

P

Phaedra

My most memorable childhood toys/games, raggedy ann doll, monopoly, chutes and ladders, mousetrap, the game of Life, jacks and marbles.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I too had a raggedy ann doll, she was life size, and I was so scared of her the first time I saw her.
When I was two, by Grandpa Itsy and Granny Rae gave me Celeste, the queen of the elephants. She wore a crown and a pretty red dress. I still have her, although her crown and dress have disappeared.
I was about 8 when Cabbage Patch kids first came out. My parents took me to the Cabbage Patch Hospital where I had my own kid made. I got to pick out everything, from hair color to her dimples, and I watched her being made. She is the kind with the soft face, unlike the more mass produced ones that had the rubber faces. I managed to amass a small troop of CBK's, which I still have neatly preserved at my parents house. Aside from the one I had made at the Cabbage Patch, my favorite were a set of boy and girl twins with brown hair and green eyes. Wow, did I love them.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Action Man...

I 'loved' my Action Man, with the duelling scar on his cheek. First one I had the hair was painted on (late 60's). Then the next, believe it or not...realistic hair!!! I got a Willy's jeep for him and various uniforms. They are getting pretty collectible now (if you have the original box..etc).

One of the boys' in 'here' made this image up for 'me,' a few years ago, when I was modelling a RMNZ A-2 pre-war, and thought it might look good on the front of an old Action Man box!!

Action_Paddy-1.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, lessee . . .

I had original GI Joes - the foot-tall kind, with plastic hair that was molded to the head.

I used to play with my mom's Monopoly and Scrabble sets, from when she was a kid. M had wooden houses and hotels, not plastic.

I still have many of her 45s from the 1950s.

About the only thing I still have in my possession are my Matchbox (and other brand) cars. Some of the Matchbox are original style, with the gray steel wheels.

just_me

Practically Family
I grew up in NYC and in the summer we were always outside. Roller skating with the metal skates that needed a key and attached to your Keds or PF Flyers. Everybody had Spaldeens (that a Spalding pink rubber ball to everyone outside of the boroughs) and we played punchball, box ball, stoop ball, stick ball, handball in the school yard, and we girls also played A my name is...

We used bottle caps to play skelly and drew Potsy (hopscotch to everyone else) boards with chalk. Jump rope was popular too.

I never liked dolls, but I did like games. I had Sorry, Parchesi, chinese checkers, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, Fox and Hounds, Howdy Doody, Monopoly, Careers, and a deck of cards.

We made scooters out of a wooden box, a 2x4, and a metal skate that you took apart to be the wheels. We made carpet guns to shoot at each other. They were made out of wood, with a nail, a bottle cap, and a rubber band and shot pieces of linoleum at your friends (or enemies) :lol:

Well, for me it was mainly LEGO and reissues of old '50s-'70s model airplane kits... gotta love those old Monogram "Quarter-Inch Scale" birds with the folding wings or other working parts, like the F-102 that had opening doors and synchronized retractable landing gear... may not have been very detailed and a little heavy on the "rivets", but there's a little more "ownership" in your toys when you build and maintain 'em yourself, right? Not to mention you didn't see many toy planes that big in the early-'80s...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
scottyrocks said:
I had original GI Joes - the foot-tall kind, with plastic hair that was molded to the head.

I ended up burning mine, or exploding them with M160s, or dousing them in acid. You know -- typical pre-teen boy stuff.

As a six year-old capitalist, I traded in Topps "Wacky Packages" sticker cards ... also known as "Wacky Packs." Still have a bunch of them around somewhere. They've never become valuable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy