Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Bebop said:
I loved Tonka trucks and Hot Wheels.
Yup - Legos, Legos, Legos. Even combined some of the old "expert builder sets" with gears, with a synchronous AC motor & color-striped flourescent tube clear cylinder cover, to make a color wheel for the '80s 45 jukebox a few years back.

TRANSFORMERS! The version they made that actually played real cassetes was The Coolest ... & Tyco motorized car racetracks...
walkie talkies (one channel; found out everyone else's toy talkies in the neighborhood all worked on the same channel; everyone took turns playing "radio station dj")

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good ol' days

We had tree forts, used large appliance cardboard boxes for everything, went to the grocery store and took wooden produce crates and brought them home to cut, nail, build EVERYTHING. Camel and Black Cat firecrackers? YEP. Remember the tomato soup can, the hole, and a bigger can with water? Lit the cracker and the can flew up 40 feet! Jumping our bikes in the then everywhere "dirt lots". Remember the "Star Trek" phaser guns that shot those little flat disks the sice of a nickle? Cap guns, the LOUD ones with the red circle plastic cap? And the roll caps, smashing a whole role at a time with a big flat rock? We should all be deaf! Building models and then pouring glue on them, lighting them on fire? How much damage did you do with your Wham-O Sling shot? BB's and all other kinds of things..that even a KID could buy.

Nobody looked twice at us, or called the cops. We stayed out every day after school until the street lights came on. Sometimes we snuck out after dark and went for wild rides on our bikes, and no, never heard of a bicycle helmet back then.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Me too!

J. M. Stovall said:
I was a Apollo kid. We lived in Huntsville Alabama in the 60s and 70s, and my dad was a "rocket scientist" at IBM and Redstone Arsenal. If you have seen Apollo 13 (the movie) and noticed Tom Hanks kids room, it's like I was propelled back in time. My heroes were the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronauts, and I had all these glossy NASA photos plastering my walls. Moon photos, maps, astonaut photos. And where this all leads to in this thread is Major Matt Mason! I had all that stuff from all the characters to the three story moon base and the weird three spoked crawler. Go here to see what it's all about.

http://www.majormattmason.net/

6300m02.jpg

I was also a big Star Trek nut (the original series) and had those Mego figures with the cloth clothes and the fold out bridge with the transporter that you would spin to make them dissapear.

Unfortunately my mom got rid of all that stuff in a garage sale when I was in college. It's all worth big bucks now.

This was the coolest toy ever. I spent hours with my brothers doing space missions and crazy stuff. I also had the Callisto alien with the see through brain from this set. The Space Crawler, Space Bubbles and Unitred were way too much fun. And the 12" size GI Joe with the jeep and recoiless rifle, command center, and headquarters was a blast too.

Another fun one was the original Creepy Crawlers with the molds, plastigoop, hot plate and cooling tray. I actuallyu bought one of the newer versions of this toy (the EZ Bake Oven 'safe' style) for my daughters when they were little. Man, did we have fun with that! :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I had a Snoopy Snocone maker I loved!

Here are some pics from my current nostalgic toyroom.

Some of this is stuff from my childhood and some movie memorbilia(I'm an orphanage for old Pooh Bears):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/House/toyroom1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/House/toyroom3.jpg

This one of more modern Star Wars stuff:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/House/toyroom2.jpg

A small sampling of my She Ra toys I played with:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/House/toyroom_shera.jpg

Mycroft

One Too Many
ITG said:
I had a Snoopy Snocone maker I loved!

Here are some pics from my current nostalgic toyroom.

Some of this is stuff from my childhood and some movie memorbilia(I'm an orphanage for old Pooh Bears):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/House/toyroom1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/House/toyroom3.jpg

This one of more modern Star Wars stuff:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/House/toyroom2.jpg

A small sampling of my She Ra toys I played with:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/House/toyroom_shera.jpg

Great collections ITG, I like all the animals with the Indy stuff side by it shows how intrest live with one forever no matter how old they are. :cheers1: Which brings me to a point that tradtional toys are more lasting, educational, and memerable then the ones made today.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Holly -- What neat collections! I see quite a number of Pooh bears there, mostly Disney, but I think I see some others. You have some Disney cartoon characters there, too, I noticed.

I, too, have some Pooh bears. I now collect miniature bears and have a tiny Pooh in my collection. I noticed an Eeyore in your stuffed animal group, I believe.

Also, I have a small collection of Minnie Mouse figures, and collect miniature pigs and the afore-mentioned riders and horses. The nice thing about miniatures is that you can collect lots of them and they don't take up much room. But I had to buy those storage stacking shelves in order to display them or they get lost behind each other.

karol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
K.D. Lightner said:
Holly -- What neat collections! I see quite a number of Pooh bears there, mostly Disney, but I think I see some others. You have some Disney cartoon characters there, too, I noticed.

I, too, have some Pooh bears. I now collect miniature bears and have a tiny Pooh in my collection. I noticed an Eeyore in your stuffed animal group, I believe.
Yep, I am a big Disney fan, especially when it comes to Pooh and Pinocchio. (My mom says I wanted to marry Pinocchio when I was 2-3 years old.) Yes, that's an Eeyore, one of the originals from my childhood from Sears on the right and a denim one on the left from The Disney Store.

Can y'all spot the Maltese Falcon in the pics? That was his temporary home when I first moved in.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Is the falcon on the second shelf from the top? I can see what looks like its head sticking up behind some other creatures.

I did not see it until you pointed it out. That is your Indy hat on the bottom shelf is it not? That I did notice immediately.

karol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yep on the 2nd shelf from the top. Yes, that's one of my Indy hats (my fur felt Dorfman). I wear a Keppler though and just recently had Fedora work wonders on an old furry HJ.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Wow, I am getting a fur felt from Steve, am going to peruse the samples he is sending me, then make a choice on color. I already have an Indy -- it is an Aukubra Federation styled as an Indy, will probably have the Fedora fedora styled somewhat the same way, but a different color.

The Keppler is supposed to be a good one, I hear.

Whoops, we are supposed to be talking about toys we had in our childhood.

My First Hat

I had a red cowboy hat given to me by my Aunt and Uncle. I wore it all through my childhood. It was the beginning of, well, an obsession....

karol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Now that you mention it, here's my obsession,....

K.D. Lightner My First Hat I had a red cowboy hat given to me by my Aunt and Uncle. I wore it all through my childhood. It was the beginning of said:
Opus106.jpg

A WW2 helmet liner that I wore when I was 3 years old,......(not really a general's of course, I think my brother hand painted the star on it.) lol

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I must have been 3 or 4 years old

My Dad worked nightshift and would come home at 11:30 at night. My Mom would leave for work around 7:00 a.m. So on her way to work my Mom would drop me off at my Aunt's house who lived about 1 mile away. I had this brown bear that I would take with me in the morning. Around noontime my Aunt would put me in the stroller and walk me home to have lunch with my Dad. She always told me to hold the bear so I wouldn't lose it. But, being the hard head that I still am I would put the bear under the seat on the rack below. Well, one day when we got home the bear was gone! She and I went back looking for that bear and we never found it. We walked all the way back to her house and NO BEAR!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a toy and candy all in one!

I must say that my favorite toy growing up, and to this day is PEZ! I collect them, so if anyone has some old ones lying around hold onto them, the market is great for collectors. I have over 500 of them. What could be bad, it's a toy and candy, all in one!
I also have a stuffed elephant named Celeste, of Babar and Celeste. My Grampa Itsy gave her to me when I was just 4, and 27 years later I still have her. She's in pretty bad shape but I love her because my Grampa gave her to me, and he was the most wonderful man I ever knew.
PEZ and Celeste, the greatest toys in the world!!

J.B.

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I must say that my favorite toy growing up, and to this day is PEZ! I collect them, so if anyone has some old ones lying around hold onto them, the market is great for collectors. I have over 500 of them.........

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yikes! I wish I had 500 hats! :p

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I also have a stuffed elephant named Celeste, of Babar and Celeste. My Grampa Itsy gave her to me when I was just 4, and 27 years later I still have her. She's in pretty bad shape but I love her because my Grampa gave her to me, and he was the most wonderful man I ever knew.
I totally can relate. Here's a picture of my 3 favorite toys with my Pooh bear in the middle who I've had from age 1, so it's now 29 years old and doesn't look like a Pooh. See my second picture to see what it used to look like.

On the left is Hooter (a creature from the short movie Captain EO) and on the right Wicket the Ewok.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/Friends/Pooh_Wicket_Hooter2.jpg
http://www.indysgirl.com/images/hollybaby1b.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Holly -- a much loved bear. Looks like some sort of creature (dog? child?) chewed on one of his ears. My chihuahua did that to a couple of my bears that fell to the floor. Anything on the floor was his.

Is that little cowgirl you? Looks ready to rope and ride.

karol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yes, that cowgirl is me. Evidentally as a child, my mom says that I loved putting things on my head, including collanders.

Nope Pooh hasn't been chewed on although it does look like it. I think part of the ear is just folded back. One of the ears did come unattached when I was a kid. My grandmother sewed it back on but as a result, that ear is doesn't stick out as far, thus making it smaller. The toes are darker from when I tried painting it's "nails" and then tried chipping the paint off when I didn't like how it looked. That bear has endured alot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy