Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favourit team in FIFA 2010?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Had to come...lol lol lol

35686_420995684928_21290394928_4181.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
France are pants. And if you're a great believer in karma you'll be saying "I told you so" and "serves them right" ;)

Argentina have looked impressive in their games. I like Messi, he is such a downright brilliant player without any of the prima donna, look-at-me carry on of Ronaldo.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My favorites are the USA of course. :) But after they bow out....rather than root for another team..... I'd just like to see good solid well played games with a bit of scoring. Were I forced to bet the farm on one team it would be Spain.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
My favorites are the USA of course. :) But after they bow out....rather than root for another team..... I'd just like to see good solid well played games with a bit of scoring. Were I forced to bet the farm on one team it would be Spain.

They were favourites pre-tournament but I wouldn't bet the farm on them just yet. They looked decidedly average against the Swiss the other day.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Smithy said:
They looked decidedly average against the Swiss the other day.
Sure but don't most eventual champions have a flat game along the way? My Blackhawks got beat up a few times on their way to the Stanley Cup.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Sure but don't most eventual champions have a flat game along the way?

Maybe. But for a team which contains so much individual talent it was worrying for them. They looked better against Honduras but their finishing in both games was crap.

Tomasso said:
My Blackhawks got beat up a few times on their way to the Stanley Cup.

Sorry Tomasso but I've neither heard of the Blackhawks nor the Stanley Cup [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Smithy said:
Sorry Tomasso but I've neither heard of the Blackhawks nor the Stanley Cup [huh]
That's OK, Smithy. ;) The Stanley Cup is awarded to the champion of the National Hockey League, the world's preeminent professional ice hockey league. It's real big in Canada.

They're apparently a part of the RSA football experience. If that be true, they're neither good, bad, nor indifferent; they just are. Note, it's only the people watching on TV that seem to be complaining. Those who are their experiencing the atmosphere seem to have embraced them completely.

The rubbish we're seeing in papers and discussion forums in the UK re: vuvuzelas really does smack a little too much of post-colonial cringe. Calling for them to be banned is a bit like asking Aussie Rules players to wear shorts that are a little longer - much better attuned to our cultured Western European attitudes, don't you know?

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
Note, it's only the people watching on TV that seem to be complaining. Those who are their experiencing the atmosphere seem to have embraced them completely.
Well, some players don't seem to care for them.

Lionel Messi, Argentina

"It is impossible to communicate, it's like being deaf."

Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal

"It is difficult for anyone on the pitch to concentrate. A lot of players don't like them, but they are going to have to get used to them."

Xabi Alonso, Spain

"I think they should be banned. They make it very difficult for the players to communicate. They are a distraction and do nothing for the atmosphere."

Patrice Evra, France

"We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am. We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Tim Meyer, Germany team doctor

"You can think about ear plugs, but that would mean an even more serious communication problem on the pitch."

Thomas Sorensen, Denmark

"The problem is you just can't communicate. You really have to use eye contact. Whatever I say to the defenders will not be heard. You need things sorted out before the game, know where people are, use hands signs, because you have no chance on the field to do things quickly. When you play in England you are used to the good atmosphere and the people singing, but this is just a constant noise. It's obviously part of the tradition here, but I prefer people singing."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...er-vuvuzela-horns-14843771.html#ixzz0rf3MD54O

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...er-vuvuzela-horns-14843771.html#ixzz0rf211J5Q

It'd be interesting to see from when those quotes date. All of the players quoted have played under par in their first matches, or are like the German team doctor, who's team played extremely badly in their second game.

Looks like some serious excuse making to me … if they need to go home unexpectedly after the group stages, they've got their whipping boy. It was too loud. Come on, they're professional football players for God's sake. they play in extremely loud stadiums every weekend.

But seriously, It's such a non-issue: FIFA and every team in the world cup knew there were going to be vuvuzelas, and it was going to be noisy. I'm sure the anti-catholic and VERY LOUD chanting at Rangers (and anti-protestant at Celtic) is very offputting. Along with the bananas being thrown at black players at Celtic back in the day. I'm told that when on the field at Barcelona it is also impossible to hear oneself think.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
The rubbish we're seeing in papers and discussion forums in the UK re: vuvuzelas really does smack a little too much of post-colonial cringe. Calling for them to be banned is a bit like asking Aussie Rules players to wear shorts that are a little longer - much better attuned to our cultured Western European attitudes, don't you know?

bk

Longer shorts in AFL wouldn't be a bad idea!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Despite sounding like a herd of rampaging bees coming out of my television.....I could support the vuvuzela but for one thing.

In most of the matches its constant noise. This means people blow them continuously whether or not their side is doing well, or poorly, they are indifferent....etc...

That to me sort of ruins the idea of crowd noise surges to cheer the team on, etc.

Doing bad bbzzzzzzzz

Need to score now bzzzzzzzz

Our guy just got a red card bzzzzzzz

It keeps everything at a sort of dull sameness that just never lets up.

maybe we need a multi tone vuvuzela..with higher pitch meaning good things...lower meaning bad things...;)

amynbebes

New in Town
Exactly. If you heard them more when something interesting happened it would be one thing. However hearing that constant drone is just silly.

Miss Neecerie said:
Despite sounding like a herd of rampaging bees coming out of my television.....I could support the vuvuzela but for one thing.

One, gigantic, potentially Africanised, bee hovering above each stadium, yes.

Or the Zeppelin of a mad genius, ready to descend and from within its bowels drops Sepp Blatter to present the trophy to the winners.

bk

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Vuvuzelas are an integral part of football games in Africa, you won't get rid of it, and it doesn't worry me terribly. But I wouldn't be surprised if you see the English FA and others ban them at games in their countries.

Puzzicato, I second the motion!

Maguire

Practically Family
I was really hoping to see the DPRK pull an upset, they played really well against Brazil but i knew they wouldn't make it far (they got stuck playing against the best teams in the world, essentially) but that match against Portugal was pretty brutal by any stretch of the imagination. I'm routing for Uruguay and then Argentina. It looks likely that one of the two will pull through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points