Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your hats after you're gone; for the record

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Marc,
If you bought a new hat today, say an Adventurebilt, it would be worth noting because that hat will be vintage one day. And it might be nice to know that the hat was bought when the company was young, before it was a household name.;)
As for chronicling how much you paid for a vintage hat today, it might be somehwat interesting to someone in 2050 curious about the price of a 1950's hat in 2006.
I'm not trying to preach here; I guess these are things I wonder about when I procure a new hat and am trying to be mindful of the next generation of hat lovers, those for whom today's new will be their vintage. We cannot assume that our hats won't end up in the hands of curious strangers down the road.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Byrne Sherwood: a fantastic question.

I actually have a provision in my will that my hats be auctioned off. But I think I will amend that as I'd like friends and family (my own future family) to have their pick.

I know that this seems very very strange, that I have a will and that my hats are mentioned in it, but it's the truth. I am a realist!

Some day I would like to have them put together in a catalog with the information suggested. Aside from those previously owned by Senator Ed Martin, None we owned by anyone note worthy. I think the collection could fill a few pages. ;)
I would hope that my children would appreciate them but in the off chance that they don't, the hats can go to good homes one way or another.
A museum? Maybe but I would have to start it myself. :p

Regards,

J

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i hope to hang on to one for the funeral, but after that my kids can do whatever they may like with them...i suspect, they would remember me when seeing one of these...because they ain't going to get no money !!!

Inside each of my hats is a label...."this is not made by or should you go near an unscrupolus hatter in virginia"

hopefully they will listen.

mark the shoeshine boy

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I am still sad...

Mr. 'H' said:
I know that this seems very very strange, that I have a will and that my hats are mentioned in it, but it's the truth. I am a realist!
That you've changed your mind about leaving the 1941 Buick Special to me... How many times DO I have to apologize about grabbing that brown Stratoliner before you?? HUH? HUH? ;)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:
That you've changed your mind about leaving the 1941 Buick Special to me... How many times DO I have to apologize about grabbing that brown Stratoliner before you?? HUH? HUH? ;)

OMG!!! Too funny; I nearly fell off my seat laughing! lol lol lol

Well your apology re Stratoliner is a bit empty considering you rub my face in it with your new avater! (Just kidding, ;) )

Viviene

Vendor
Just a little tip. It's always nice for a vintage seller like me to know the history of a piece I have purchased. That's why the going away dress from a particular lady's trousseau from 1929 will not be sold by me. I will be keeping it for my personal collection along with the handwritten label stating that it's her dress and what it was worn for.

So write a little note and put it in with your hats because there are people out there who will value it. It also helps authenticate how old your item is as well. I found a business card inside one of the hats I purchased for resale in my store and because the phone number on the card was VAndike 7-9321 I was able to confirm approximately what the original date of the hats was along with other information from the maker of the hats.

Just thought I would provide another viewpoint! :)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suppose I should be concerned about my classic cars too but when I'm gone, I'm gone and I won't really care about any of my worldly "stuff."[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo