Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your local stations

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tip

sparrow said:
Today I reaquainted myself with the only Chicagoland broadcast of old time radio. The College of Dupage radio station out of Morton Grove at 90.9 has a Saturday afternoon radio show called Those Were the Days!

Thanks for the tip, Sparrow, and welcome to the Lounge.
A community college radio station with a strong signal down to Lakeview,
huh? I'm parked downtown and skyscraper-sandwiched, but will give
it a shot next Saturday. :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
I didn't see this mentioned, but it's possible I missed it! There is a nifty website called Radio Locator that you can search for radio stations in your area and it even lists what type of music they play.

Sly Style

Familiar Face
Yes there is indeed, and Lizzie take notice, though I doubt it will come in where you are located.

88.3 Heritage Radio from Yarmouth, ME.

They play entirely 20's, 30's, 40's and a little 50's music without commercials. They are user supported just like public radio is!

Snookie

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
There was a pretty good station that did some big band and popular music from the early 60's back to the 30's but they got eaten up. Any way there is another station that comes from Mexico on the AM band but it doesn't come in well all over. I think it is either 540 or 560 am and they have another band of the same at 1240 or 1280 am if I remember right. Again, it just doesn't come in all places but maybe you'll be the lucky one.

I think you mean KKGO AM 1260/540. I listen to it a fair amount, because we've got a vintage radio that doesn't get my favorite FM stations, but I don't like it all that much. It's too jazzy for me. There's a good show called Big Band Jump on at 11pm Saturday, but I always forget to listen to it. I thought everyone liked Glenn Miller -- how come they can't feature him earlier in the day?

Stolen radio station.

Snookie said:
I think you mean KKGO AM 1260/540. I listen to it a fair amount, because we've got a vintage radio that doesn't get my favorite FM stations, but I don't like it all that much. It's too jazzy for me. There's a good show called Big Band Jump on at 11pm Saturday, but I always forget to listen to it. I thought everyone liked Glenn Miller -- how come they can't feature him earlier in the day?

Well 540 am just changed to Country and Western. Modern CW is not my fav.:confused:
1260 is still some what vintagey!

panamag8or

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
We actually had *two* such stations not so long ago, an AM and an FM, both locally programmed. (I worked at the AM station in the late '80s, and it's the only radio job I had where I could actually play 78's on the air without dubbing them to carts first.)

But now all the stations in this market are owned by Clear Channel, which programs them with inane satellite formats. I still think there's a market for a vintage-format station here, given the demographic we get at the theatre, but the corporate overlords who own the stations obviously don't agree...

When I worked for Clear channel, we had a "nostalgia' station that was beamed in from a bird,* and totally automated. It worked here, because we have a large retired population, and lots of snowbirds in winter. But, in their infinite wisdom (?) they switched it to a tourist info station, then to sports. Now, the only older music programming in town is a Saturday night Big Band show on the local NPR station.

Unfortunately, I see a switch to Sirius or XM in my future.

*In layman's terms, a "bird" is a satellite.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Harp said:
I cannot understand local radio mgt myopia.

At least they're some old time radio shows on the local airwaves.

When Radio Was is a nationally syndicated show that plays on WBBM AM 780 Chicago Weekdays 12A-1A.

Week of November 13 - 17

Monday, 11/13

Adventures of Nero Wolfe - Stamped for Murder
Baby Snooks - Afternoon with the Baby

Tuesday, 11/14

Great Gildersleeve - The Picnic
Speaking of Radio - Guest: Lillian Randolph

Wednesday, 11/15

Fort Laramie - The War Correspondent
The Fred Allen Show - Man in the Street

Thursday, 11/16

Suspense - The Yellow Wallpaper
The Red Skelton Show - Clem Kadiddlehopper

Friday, 11/17

Life with Luigi - Party for Luigi
Philco Radio Time - Guests: Bing Crosby & Burl Ives

Harp

I'll Lock Up
WBBM

Tomasso said:
At least they're some old time radio shows on the local airwaves.

Gotcha, thanks. I did comment on When Radio Was in another
thread; bad time slot-12-1. My earlier remark here was directed at local
mgt failure to recognize Big Band Swing/Jazz demographic.

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
In Yellow Springs Ohio, we have a public Radio station 91.3 FM, which broadcasts Vintage Jazz, and some early Country Music programs. However, not a full time station dedicated to the older music. The Big Band/ Jazz Channel on the cable network offers vintage music 24/7.

Story

I'll Lock Up
More Ohio radio

DavidJones said:
In Yellow Springs Ohio, we have a public Radio station 91.3 FM, which broadcasts Vintage Jazz, and some early Country Music programs. However, not a full time station dedicated to the older music. The Big Band/ Jazz Channel on the cable network offers vintage music 24/7.

Art Deco Radio in Northeast Ohio
Our Intrepid Traveler Visits Akron, Canton and Youngstown
http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0058/t.1089.html
by Scott Fybush, 2.01.2007
Frequent RW contributor Scott Fybush is always on the lookout for interesting "Travels with Scott" destinations.

Where can you find a 12-tower directional AM antenna system, not one but two classic Art Deco studio buildings, the closest co-channel AM stations in the country and the Pro Football Hall of Fame, all within an hour's drive or so?

Welcome to northeast Ohio — not the big city of Cleveland, but the somewhat smaller markets of Akron, Canton and Youngstown, south and east of Drew Carey's hometown.

Triple threat

With the National Radio Club convention taking place in Akron last Labor Day weekend, it didn't take much of an excuse to find a couple of days to drive down to the area from my home base in upstate New York. It didn't hurt that I had several longstanding invitations to visit engineering friends in Youngstown.

Jerry Starr is one of those rare triple-threats: He started his career as a DJ on Youngstown's heritage top-40 station WHOT, but he's also a wiz behind the production console and a talented engineer to boot. Jerry retired from WHOT and its sister stations (now under the Cumulus umbrella) a few years ago, but he was happy to play tour guide for a day, with the assistance of two of the market's top engineers, John Clarke at Clear Channel and Wes Boyd at Cumulus.

Both have been busy over the last few years. At Clear Channel, John's pride and joy is one of the most remarkable AM transmitter farms in the country: the six towers of WKBN (570), right next to the six-tower night site of WNIO (1390). WKBN's been on this former farmland in Poland, Ohio since the '70s, but 1390 just arrived a few years ago.

Kimberly

Practically Family
I litent to 90.5 fm which is a public radio station. They pay jazz and folk and I always tune in on Friday's when they play voices of jazz (lost of 40's music then). And on Saturday when they have their Big Band Brunch and Jazz Matinee where they play a lot of 30's and 40's jazz.

Flivver

Practically Family
Kimberly said:
I litent to 90.5 fm which is a public radio station. They pay jazz and folk and I always tune in on Friday's when they play voices of jazz (lost of 40's music then). And on Saturday when they have their Big Band Brunch and Jazz Matinee where they play a lot of 30's and 40's jazz.

Kimberly...You enlightened me about 90.5 WICN on a previous thread. Thank you so much! I've been listening to it for several weeks now and I'm really enjoying it.

Do any of you New Englanders remember AM830, WCRN in Worcester, MA? When they went on the air about ten years ago, they played nothing but big band and 1950s pop, using a format called "The Music of Your Life". It was really great, particularly since this station broadcast with 50KW during the day and had a daytime coverage of at least 150 miles.

WCRN is still on the air, but has switched formats several times and is now (big surprise) all talk. It's a shame that it's so difficult for stations to make a go of it with a big band format.

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
Magic 63 (KIDD) in Monterey, California! It plays a mix of 40s, 50s, & 60s during the day with special features like Sinatra at 5 (five Frank songs in a row each day at 5pm), Central Coast Swing, Way Back Now, and some Music of Your Life programming.

I used to work in the local historical society in a little Arts and Crafts cottage built in 1902. I was in there by myself all day with the occasional drop in from a tourist and I had this playing from the little radio atop the ancient refrigerator. Everybody used to comment on the wonderful music.....unless they happened to walk in when I was singing along at the top of my lungs, then they just looked a little embarrassed and walked right back out. [huh]

I've lived in Florida for over a year now and haven't found any radio station that even comes close, it's kind of sad.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
We used to have kjul, played the big band era, some Sammy etc, then it left us. I think there may be a new one, but the broadcast is week so I rarely catch it when scanning through the stations. (Might be a good reason to get some hd radio in the car)
Heck, they've taken the moldy oldy station away too. Ticked me off.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I can't believe our other NYC area members haven't mentioned these:

WKCR - 89.9 FM and wkcr.org - The Columbia University station plays jazz programming roughly one-third of the time, and unlike our full-time jazz station (WGBO) it mostly plays a boatload of older jazz (and more challenging, non-radio-friendly newer stuff too). Besides Phil Schaap's fascinating daily Charlie Parker show (8:20-9:30am NY time) and the normal roster of shows, they do full-day birthday marathons annually for more than a dozen jazz greats (two days for Louis Armstrong, recognizing both his "real" birthday and the one he celebrated his whole life), and memorial broadcasts whenever we lose a master. I often hear great old 20s-40s material that never gets played on commercial jazz stations, sometimes with very insightful commentary...

"The Big Broadcast" - Rich Conaty's fantatic 20s/30s pop music show has been running on Sunday nights (8-12pm NY time) for over 30 years. An outstandingly fun and educational presentation of a huge range of largely obscure, fascinating material! On WFUV (from Fordham U, primarily a folk/Americana station) - 90.7 FM and wfuv.org

Since both of these stations stream on the Web, I urge the non-NYC-area crowd to give them a shot sometime!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Flivver said:
Kimberly...You enlightened me about 90.5 WICN on a previous thread. Thank you so much! I've been listening to it for several weeks now and I'm really enjoying it.

Do any of you New Englanders remember AM830, WCRN in Worcester, MA? When they went on the air about ten years ago, they played nothing but big band and 1950s pop, using a format called "The Music of Your Life". It was really great, particularly since this station broadcast with 50KW during the day and had a daytime coverage of at least 150 miles.

WCRN is still on the air, but has switched formats several times and is now (big surprise) all talk. It's a shame that it's so difficult for stations to make a go of it with a big band format.

I am glad you are listening again!! It's all I have going on in my radio. If you get a chance listen to Voices of Jazz tomorrow at 10am. It's my favorite Friday segment.

I don't remember WCRN 10 years ago, but did listen to it a couple of years ago when they played a lot of 50's music (not the oldies stuff you hear on FM), but more obscure music you don't hear everyday).

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Since I haven't been near the radio in years, I can only assume that these stations are still with us:

-There used to be an AM station that played NOTHING but Frank Sinatra.
-Cruisin' 92.1 used to have "The Sunday Night Supper Club" where they'd play swing music from the 1930s to now.
-Every once in a while if you tune in at the right time you'll hear old jazz and big band on the many college and public stations in this area.

Rafter

Suspended
Sad to say that Jazz & Popular Standards has only one home in the "Big Apple"
WBGO
http://wbgo.org/listennow/

Over the last decade NYC lost it's two most famous radio stations.
Their demographics were not large enough to sustain them. Bull!!

WNEW AM "1130 on the dial"...and home of the "Make Believe Ballroom"
http://www.wnew1130.com/wnew-fm_gone.shtml

CBS FM 101.2...."the greatest hits of all time" and home of "Cousin" Brucie
In a shocking and controversial move, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Friday, June 3, 2005, WCBS-FM 101.1 flipped formats from Oldies to the new "Jack FM,". The final song at 4:30 PM was the Frank Sinatra single "Summer Wind."
http://www.wcbsfm.org/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21