Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your local stations

52Styleline

A-List Customer
We have a low power, daylight only, not for profit AM station in my town that plays music from the 20's through early 50's. There is a very large retirement community locally and I believe they help support the station along with public contributions. No advertising, just one song after another. I listen to it a lot, especially on weekends.

A Seattle PBS FM station has a Saturday night program called "The Swing Years and Beyond". From 7 till midnight they play some great music.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
52Styleline said:
We have a low power, daylight only, not for profit AM station in my town that plays music from the 20's through early 50's. There is a very large retirement community locally and I believe they help support the station along with public contributions. No advertising, just one song after another. I listen to it a lot, especially on weekends.

A Seattle PBS FM station has a Saturday night program called "The Swing Years and Beyond". From 7 till midnight they play some great music.

What town are you in, 52?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
In Denver, there's KUVO (89.3 FM), which plays jazz. On Saturday at 7 p.m., they have a program called R&B Jukebox, where they play early R&B. (I got my mother to listen to that instead of watching reruns of Lawrence Welk. It was a musical intervention.)

There's another station called KGNU at 1390 AM. They play swing music on Thursday nights and quite a bit of older jazz and Latin as well. They even play some ragtime.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
San Francisco Peninsula Classic Radio

When I forget to bring the XM receiver with me in the car, I listen to 89.1 KCEA. They're all Big Band, all the time.

Most of the time, in the car and in the house, I listen to XM. The most obvious station for music of the 40s is channel 4, The '40s. There are also plenty of classic sounds on channel 73, "High Standards".

Shirin

A-List Customer
Mike in Seattle said:
KUOW here in Seattle has a show every Saturday evening called The Swing Years and Beyond. It's all music from the 20's through 40's. It's a great show - I know I've mentioned it here on FL on other posts, but here goes again. Here's a link to each week's broadcast repeats. Scroll down and click te "LISTEN" link.

I LOVE this station! I found them first on radiosure, eventually finding my way to their website. I hope they will continue it for more years to come.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
At the college where I teach, a few of us convinced the administration to switch our 24 hour FM radio station from all-classical to all-jazz. We subscribe to a feed service which plays jazz from the 40's and 50's though there are no shows dedicated to it.

I hosted a two hour Benny Goodman tribute on the anniversary of his birthday which featured music from the 30's and 40's only.

52Styleline said:

It's called KBRD. Entirely supported by listener (one assumes they actually listen) donations. It's at 680 AM. It's kinda wonderful. No advertising, very little chat.

It has apparently attracted a contingent of younger listeners as well. I hear it in some of the "hipper" spots I drop into around here. And I see on their website that they got a generous donation from a local vintage clothing store, a place with which I am quite familiar. The people there, the staff and the clientele, skew young.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Magic FM 87.8

The appeal of Magic FM is focused exclusively on playing standards recorded by a growing number of new performers – like Diana Krall, Michael Buble, and Norah Jones – along with the “greats” who have influenced them like Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and Tony Bennett. The songs and artists have for nearly 12 years had Magic FM listeners saying; "Now THAT'S Music!"

http://magicfm.com.au/

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Being an old radio nut I am still a dedicated AM listener. We still have a number of good AM stations to listen to. Even some oldies stations that play a good mixture. Although what some people call oldies aren't really that old. If I remember when it was new it's not old. There is a good FM station. 106.7 WATQ Moose Country. It's all Country & Western which I am a big fan. Not this new jazzed up country either. They play a lot of the real stuff from the '60's on back. My taste in country is mostly 1940's and '50's. That's where my roots are.

Chas

One Too Many
Vancouver is known for it's shockingly bad radio stations. Imagine if you will, a seemingly unending diet of Stones, Doors and ZZ Top.

We do, however, have CFRO 102.7 Co-Op radio, CBC (mostly classical) RDF (CBC Francophone - they play a little jazz), CJSF and CiTR which are university radio stations.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
The appeal of Magic FM is focused exclusively on playing standards recorded by a growing number of new performers – like Diana Krall, Michael Buble, and Norah Jones – along with the “greats” who have influenced them like Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and Tony Bennett. The songs and artists have for nearly 12 years had Magic FM listeners saying; "Now THAT'S Music!"

http://magicfm.com.au/

Interesting that two of the three new artists you mention are Canadians. Not sure why that's interesting, but there you go...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
Vancouver is known for it's shockingly bad radio stations. Imagine if you will, a seemingly unending diet of Stones, Doors and ZZ Top.

We do, however, have CFRO 102.7 Co-Op radio, CBC (mostly classical) RDF (CBC Francophone - they play a little jazz), CJSF and CiTR which are university radio stations.

What is wrong with the Stones and ZZ Top? The Doors are the most overrated group ever, but the other two rock!

Get it?
;)

Chas

One Too Many
In very small doses. But when a city has half a dozen stations that all play "classic rock" it's pure excrement.

Personally, I loathe both bands. It's not personal, I just don't dig what they do, subjectively speaking. I'm a product of the punk era, and what they do doesn't speak to me.

I have the exact taste in music that you do. Conway's my favorite singer of all time.

My friends and I were on our way to go fishing in Montello today and we were channel surfing and they were playing old Radio Shows from the 1940s on, I believe FM 88.1. They were great, and they had some neat commercials and jingles for Wildroot Hair Tonic. My friends were picking on me the whole time, as they know my love of vintage, and my use of hair tonic.

FountainPenGirl said:
Being an old radio nut I am still a dedicated AM listener. We still have a number of good AM stations to listen to. Even some oldies stations that play a good mixture. Although what some people call oldies aren't really that old. If I remember when it was new it's not old. There is a good FM station. 106.7 WATQ Moose Country. It's all Country & Western which I am a big fan. Not this new jazzed up country either. They play a lot of the real stuff from the '60's on back. My taste in country is mostly 1940's and '50's. That's where my roots are.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I think the only station I can get locally that plays the occasional 30's and 40's music (some swing, big band and jazz) is NPR. There are a few stations I can catch on road trips (1420 AM and 99.5 FM out of Delray Beach), but all the rest around here are other eras and genres of music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk