Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Opinion Please

DRB

One Too Many
Changing the shape of the hat from regular oval to long oval could cause a slight deviation in the brim. It depends on how much you have to stretch it. If you want to take that chance go for it. I do not know the company.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
That is not what I would call a "vintage" hat. Bailey made and sold those into late 80's or maybe even the 90's.
I regularly see Stetson St.Regis Homburgs in that price range that would be a finer hat for the money.

fmw

One Too Many
I'm a fan of the Homburg and I found this one on Ebay. It's the right size although I might have to steam it and use my Hat Jack to make it a little more long oval. The price is right. What do you guys think of this hat and let me know of the reputation of this company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130514266486&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It looks nice. Changing the oval doesn't change the size, just the shape. You could use a stretcher but what it really needs is reblocking or a reconformation produced simply by wearing the hat.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that hat is vintage style, not vintage. You can tell by the tag.

If the hat is your size, I recommend just wearing it, especially if your weather is gonna get hot soon. Nothing reconforms a hat like a few hot sweaty weeks on your head.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'll admit, my eye for "vintage" isn't great, but the interior of that hat looks very much like current production hats. Still, if it really is fur felt, it's a good deal at that price. My concern is, I see a lot on that auction suggesting that the seller knows very little about the item he's selling, or is not totally honest. My fear would be that I would end up with a cheap wool felt hat that I could buy for the same or less money elsewhere.

As for stretching that specific hat, I'm going to guess that it's stiff as all get-out, and won't stretch very easily... if at all. Steaming a modern hat enough to soften it up will probably cause shrinkage. Basically, I think you should let this one sit.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
Thanks Guys. That's the kind of advice I wanted to hear. I still think it's a nice hat at a good price but I'm gonna let it go. There have to be plenty more floating around.

There are alot more out there floating around. I bought 2 in the last few months from fellow TFL'ers, simply by placing a "WTB" post in the "classified" thread. And, most importantly, I was EXTREMELY pleased when they arrived. Buying a hat from a fellow lounger, and I have bought several lately, has thus far always been a satisfying experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner