Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your story or someone else?

djhatman

One of the Regulars
So I just quite smoking and started chewing gum. I never carried my smokes on me I just always left them in the car. To help me quite I started chewing gum. As I now chew a lot more gum then I ever smoked cigarettes and carry the gum on me all the time I wanted something nicer to carry the gum in then just the pack them came in. This started a search for a cigarette case to carry the gum in. I bought a nice new one at a local smoke shop which I will have engraved in the next week or so. I say all this to ask the question what is more important to you? Your history of an item or the history that comes with it. As most of us on here have a love of classic, retro, vintage or what ever you wish to call it. I myself personally find that it is more important to have something new that has the look then something that others have had. The exception being things that have been pass down from family. I just find it important to make my story and then pass it on down the family line. So what is your take on this?

Edward

Bartender
I'm non-commital as to one over the other... for me it's frankyl a matter of can I find the item I need in the style I like at a price I can afford.... Whatever happens to my stuff after I'm gone is none of my concern, so passing it on down a family line or whatever isn't something I give a thought to.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
is sentimentalism important - or just over-rated?

djhatman said:
.... I say all this to ask the question what is more important to you? Your history of an item or the history that comes with it. As most of us on here have a love of classic, retro, vintage or what ever you wish to call it. I myself personally find that it is more important to have something new that has the look then something that others have had. The exception being things that have been pass down from family. I just find it important to make my story and then pass it on down the family line. So what is your take on this?

Thanks djhatman, you have touched on a question I have been wrestling with lately and was considering posting as another thread - but rather than that, if I may, can I join this one? I don't want to hijack it and take it some place else, but I think my quandary is related.

Over the last 20 odd years I have amassed a vast amount of junk. My circumstances and body shape, knowledge and taste and everything else has changed. When joining a knowledgeable community like this it inevitably informs and educates, but also raises questions. It seems I have amassed a pile of nearly, not quite, pseudo retro clothes and accessories and the odd (rare) decent piece.

Are there some things that one simply shouldn't get rid of? Is the associated personal history something worth retaining or should one just let go as need arises or to upgrade?

I will give you an example. I have a trenchcoat I bought back in 1986 to wear in sixth form. It was my first proper 'grown up' coat and it was absolutely my 'Casablanca' coat and looked the business with my first Fedora, even though I was more or less universally considered 'wierd' and a laughing stock by my peers. Learning from this community has made me realise it might be ridiculous to put it in the classifieds section, even though it is a well-made item with detail not found in more recent stuff. It just isn't vintage, it just isn't retro enough and it just isn't quite right. That coat obviously has value for me - but it seems it doesn't have any intrinsic value overall. So do I keep it for old times sake, bung it on t' bay for .99p and hope for the best, give it to a charity shop, or offer it for sale as an 'entry level' trench to some one young and starting out in the hope they will get some use from it and progress on to other things later?

How much value does personal history have?

BTW .... this isn't about family heirlooms like father's watch etc - this is about the stuff that is sentimental and valued only to/by yourself.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't sell the trenchcoat. If it's well made and suits you...who would complain? The (soon) so called "Atavist"? if in doubt just don't wear it to an event with many hardcore "atavists" but as everyday wear. lol

I also tend to wear what I like, rather than what is "real" vintage. But I also understand if somebody is a collector and wouldn't buy repros and such. None of my business. I would even envy them a little because theyre so well equipped:p But if they try to tell me what to wear. No freakin way!

Plus...only a few people whould recognize and appreciate a full vintage look.;)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
wear and enjoy whatever...

I agree Floey .. totally ... but the fact is, it doesn't fit me any more ... so does one keep something like this as a keepsake or put it back into circulation with a newer generation or just get rid - preferably not to a landfill, but to a charity/thrift shop and forget about it?

My trenchcoat isn't in question really, nor is djhatmans cigarette cum chewing gum case. They are just examples. What we are (I am) wondering is what to do with this old stuff and how much is the history atttached to them worth especially if it is your own history as opposed to some unknown and never likely to-be-known item such as you might find in a vintage or thrift/charity store, or ebay?

The Lounge is a place where expertise and perfection is sought - I suppose that is why we all are here - but before expertise and perfection comes a whole litany of nearly but not quites and a learning process. Are those stages valued? Actually, that's not it all. What I really mean is, what of these objects that aren't truly vintage but hark back to another time and are stepping stones?

I fear I have inadvertently wandered into another thread and an inherently dangerous one at that! :eusa_doh:

sixties.nut

No matter how sentimental

I am exempt from worring about this, all my 'junks' will be posted online before Pallor Mortis sets in. Happy Bidding ! lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn