Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your thoughts on Levis Buffalo Leather Moto Jacket

Not really concerned. I already own eight pound Horween steerhide jacket, so I am home.

Looking at other options as well.

Japanese makers produce stuff in lighter leather. Not lightweight by any definition but definitely not as heavy as Aero, Vanson, etc.

Kuro

Practically Family
Japanese makers produce stuff in lighter leather. Not lightweight by any definition but definitely not as heavy as Aero, Vanson, etc.

Awesome.

I have been considering saving for an Aero Ridley in a soft steerhide like my BR.

But I was wondering if there are any other jackets I should look for that are out there on the open market. Older Schott or Vanson styles in a lighter weight leather for example. Yes I understand that probably does not exist, but I won't know if I don't ask from this pool of experience.

Awesome.

I have been considering saving for an Aero Ridley in a soft steerhide like my BR.

But I was wondering if there are any other jackets I should look for that are out there on the open market. Older Schott or Vanson styles in a lighter weight leather for example. Yes I understand that probably does not exist, but I won't know if I don't ask from this pool of experience.

Vintage stuff isn't nearly as heavy as repros of today so buying anything old, other than Cal leathers of course, is one way to go about it.

Other than that, Himel, Diamond Dave, EL(M)C, Aero in Vicenza, Mister Freedom and some others make jackets that aren't in the extreme range of weight spectrum.

As for the Japanese makers, there's so many of them now... RMC, Freewheelers, White Feather Manufacturing, High Large Leathers, Jelado, Addict Clothes, FourSpeed Leathers... And many more.

Kuro

Practically Family
Vintage stuff isn't nearly as heavy as repros of today so buying anything old, other than Cal leathers of course, is one way to go about it.

Other than that, Himel, Diamond Dave, EL(M)C, Aero in Vicenza, Mister Freedom and some others make jackets that aren't in the extreme range of weight spectrum.

As for the Japanese makers, there's so many of them now... RMC, Freewheelers, White Feather Manufacturing, High Large Leathers, Jelado, Addict Clothes, FourSpeed Leathers... And many more.

Great list, thank you!

I suppose what I am asking for is experience with particular jackets? For example I know that Schott makes a nice jacket for the japanese market, with a wonderful burgundy liner and brass zippers, the PER22. I don't know the weight of it of course. But it is an example of a specific double rider.

If anyone has owned a nice casual double rider, say without a belt that is easy to wear, vintage or otherwise I would enjoy learning about it.

Or what are the thoughts on this Levis jacket? Yes there is a seam on the back panel which is already a negative mark. Anything else scream stay away, or perhaps it could be as good as the Trucker they are currently selling many people here like in the same leather?

I feel the Levi's is priced too high for what's being offered. You could do better second hand, or save and pay more but get exponentially more. Just my humble opinion.

Kuro

Practically Family
I feel the Levi's is priced too high for what's being offered. You could do better second hand, or save and pay more but get exponentially more. Just my humble opinion.

I figured with what accolades the recent Levis Trucker in the same leather received here, I was wondering where this one would fall. I respect the eyes of those with more experience in this field than I do.

Thank you.

P.S. That grey VANSON you once had... WOW! Now if only I could find one of those... :)

Last edited:
If the perfecto/highwayman-type jacket is what you are looking for I would also consider Bates.

Kuro

Practically Family
If the perfecto/highwayman-type jacket is what you are looking for I would also consider Bates.

Thank you. Looking for a Double Rider, or a cross zip. I will look at Bates, I have never looked at a jacket from them before!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Ive owned Japanese Schott. Leather is very nice around 3oz. I favour 2.2 to 2.5 oz myself as I have no use for a heavy jacket here.

Peacoat

Bartender
Johnson Leathers has a soft broken in out of the box jacket that is 3.0. to 3.5 oz. leather that is a comfortable to wear casual jacket. I have two of Johnson's offerings and like both of them. One is a tough 4+ oz. leather; the other is a soft 3 to 3.5 oz. leather.

Also an overlooked jacket maker is Fox Creek, out of Massachusetts. It makes a very nice soft 3.5 oz. leather jacket that is suitable for a motorcycle jacket or for casual wear. I have one that was broken in out of the box. Their chaps are also excellent, and are the only ones I wear for cool weather riding.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't like cross zip style jackets at all so my advice is probably superfluous but this one by Levi's doesn't look very convincing. The pattern and drape of the thing makes it feel like a Wilson's leathers job. I have to say I do like the Aero Bootlegger - as cross zips go, it has less of those hideous extra pockets, belts and zips and has some swagger to it.

marmalademan

Banned
My thoughts on that jacket are that I've got it in size large in storage unworn and I'd sell it for a hundred pounds plus postage.

From memory I think it fits like a 42. I'm a 40 and it's too big

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21