Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You're gonna be upset but

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
First I need to Thank all of you Loungers that have sent me renovatoins to do during this first year of business. It has kept me occupied beyond my wildest visions and the Custom hat side of my business has been overwhelming. So much so that I feel that I have to give something up and have decided that I cannot offer renovation work any more. My lead times have become unreasonable in my eyes for reno work as the new hat side doesn't leave much time or energy. For those that have been in contact and have my confirmation I will of course finish your hats as promised but I have to cut it off here. I will continue to offer the service to my custom hat clients as a part of the overall benefits to my customs.

Since my coming to the Lounge there have been a number of hatters coming on board and I encourage you to take advantage of their services. The Fedorastore has been offering renovation work recently, sometimes for free so I encourage your to contact Duane.

Again, Thank you for your support.

Art

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am upset...

...but I suspected you'd go this way. Just didn't think it'd happen
so soon.

Honestly, this is going to strongly discourage me from bidding
on less-than-perfect hats - may even lower the price of hats
on eBay for a while. I have yet to find someone who does work
of the same quality you do.

Sigh.

astaire

One of the Regulars
Wish you all the best, Art

I was planning to come up and visit your place next month. Perhaps it's better not to, I guess (since i was planning to bring a few hats for reno).

Please don't be a stranger to the lounge though! We need your advice all the time.:eusa_clap

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Art you are top of the line when it comes to Renovation. I've seen your hats in person and we hear from your clients all the time. No dissapointments.

I hope to see you at the Queen Mary and Thank you for reblocking my brown fedora last year. Excellent job.

I still love the look of that high crowned short brimmed job you did that looks so early 30's (someone post a pic).

There aren't enough custom hatters like you around.

Not upset... just happy to know you're still making hats.

Picture254-vi.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Art...

As I told you privately, I really respect your decision to go in this direction. Your custom hats are unique and incredibly satisfying -- both for you to make and for us to savor and wear. Unfortunately, there just aren't enough hours in the day for any of us to do all that we want to do, especially when we're self-employed.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Ouch...

Like many, I'm sorry to know that you won't be taking on any more restoration work, Art. I'm just glad that I got that Dobbs 20 in under the wire and can proudly wear a bit of your fine work! Now I just need to start saving my pennies for a custom! ;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you for the support Gents. Please know that his was not an easy decision to make as I really DO love bringing an old clunker back to life and get a great deal of satisfaction from it. I've spent the last week in a real funk over what to do, but then I look at boxes with hats in them that I have had for 3 months waiting for me and it made the decision easier. I wouln't stand for that kind of time frame and don't believe anyone should.
Duane...keep going and try to keep the blood off the hats..it doesn't stop.:D

Also please know that I am definitely NOT leaving the Lounge. If anything this decision will allow more time FOR the Lounge so please...no wake here.
Matt, I intend to be at the Queen and hope to bring some prototypes for members to handle and inspect. Also, MK is planning the "test" and I have agreed to bring hats for testing so no worries mate!!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yay! I'm excited to see you at the Queen Mary, and I'm also excited for you that you're focusing on what you need to :)

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
So that's why I couldnt get ahold of you.

I'm bummed I wont be able to have you work your magic on my hats but I completely understand.

There are only so many hours in the day and sometimes something's gotta give.

God bless and good luck.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Art all I can say is thanks for your help , advice and guidance. I am happy for you and support your choice. I am also grateful for the refurb work that you have done for me and others. :fedora:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I see it this way: if Rembrandt had made fewer paintings because he had to spend time restoring the works of others, we'd all be the lesser for it.

I'm so glad that your success has led you to this! It can only get better and better.

All the best to you! :eusa_clap

Fedora

Vendor
[QUOTESo much so that I feel that I have to give something up and have decided that I cannot offer renovation work any more. My lead times have become unreasonable in my eyes for reno work as the new hat side doesn't leave much time or energy.][/QUOTE]

Art, we have had to do the same thing. I love working on vintage hats, but when the refurbs hurt the turnaround time for new hats, something has to give. I still have boxes of refurbs stacked to the ceiling and try to work those in with the new hats. There is a big demand for the refurb business and perhaps someone will step up and take care of the vacuum that nature abhors. Many times it takes me longer to do a refurb than it does to make a new hat. You can understand why I would imagine. I will miss seeing all of that wonderful vintage felt and working with it though. I really enjoyed it. Fedora

Barry

Practically Family
Art,

My midnight blue VS fedora is probably my favorite. I wore it to synagouge for the new year and I received several great compliments.

I look foward to meeting you at the QM and I'm really excited to check out some of the new prototypes.

Barry

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I understand why you need to do this and while I am bummed that I can't have more hats repaired by your hands at least I know I will be able to get a custom from you.
Boy am I glad I sent out that Flagship in time.:D

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Change

Congratulations... as Marc Chevalier wrote
I see it this way: if Rembrandt had made fewer paintings because he had to spend time restoring the works of others, we'd all be the lesser for it.

Now we are the greater for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider