Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zip it

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I don't know whether HH jackets were historically made of the same thickness as the FQHH jackets we're buying

I have yet to encounter a vintage HH with the weight of todays LW, Aero, heavy HH. There are some steer hides which are pretty thick and tough. Some of the sheep lined jackets get thick and heavy. I believe one of the
qualities of HH is that it works very well without bulk and thickness. A good HH jacket does not have to be heavy. I have often thought this about original A2s weight (I have never touched one). They do not look thick or heavy and how well would that work in cockpit of a plane with all the other accesories strapped on? Then think of work wear? How much work would be comfortable in a heavy HH jacket? R

I have lots of vintage jacket with original zippers over 50 years old and they work fine, smooth and easy. They just operate better.

Many of the newer jackets just don't get that much wear, so people don't have zipper problems. I buy one, start wearing it, zipping it and it breaks from use. Very frustrating on a new jacket. Difficult to find someone to stitch a heavy HH LW or Aero

Does any know where the branded Talon zippers come from? Since I have a couple of newer decent Talons I think they are not all created equal.

Terry

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
I have yet to encounter a vintage HH with the weight of todays LW, Aero, heavy HH. There are some steer hides which are pretty thick and tough. Some of the sheep lined jackets get thick and heavy. I believe one of the
qualities of HH is that it works very well without bulk and thickness. A good HH jacket does not have to be heavy. I have often thought this about original A2s weight (I have never touched one). They do not look thick or heavy and how well would that work in cockpit of a plane with all the other accesories strapped on? Then think of work wear? How much work would be comfortable in a heavy HH jacket? R

I have lots of vintage jacket with original zippers over 50 years old and they work fine, smooth and easy. They just operate better.

Many of the newer jackets just don't get that much wear, so people don't have zipper problems. I buy one, start wearing it, zipping it and it breaks from use. Very frustrating on a new jacket. Difficult to find someone to stitch a heavy HH LW or Aero

Does any know where the branded Talon zippers come from? Since I have a couple of newer decent Talons I think they are not all created equal.

Terry

From Wikipedia (re: Talon Zippers):In 1996 it was acquired by Tag-It Pacific, a company based in California, which changed its corporate name in 2007 to Talon International, Inc., and shifted production to Asia in an attempt to restore the company's fortunes.

It appears the new Talon zippers are made somewhere in Asia.

I have a NOS 1939 no.5 Talon on my GW Shinki jacket, and while it isn't as large as some of the 40's models it works fine and looks great! I think you are right about some of the burlier jackets needing larger gauge zips- maybe no.8 instead of no.5.

Edward

Bartender
Dear Lord! They actually sew the leather with "several folks" in there? That sounds dangerous.

:lol:

Interesting to read this. I recently bought from the AL sales page and the only issue I seem to have is the zipper which seems far to weak for the jacket. I've been hoping with some wear it will get better but as it is I've had several occasions when its poped open at the bottom. I've been thinking of contacting them to see what might be done as other than that I'm very happy with the jacket. Once broken in some will post some photos.

Doesn't sound right... I'd contact them about a replacement.

The way to eliminate zipper problems with jackets that the zipper is below the belt line is to use HD 2 way separating symmetrical brass zippers....

Or stick in a decent YKK... Neither's going to look quite right, though.

Which Scottish maker 'seems' to be doing this, oh seer? :) It seems that both AL and Aero may have had zip probs. I reckon the leather might be too heavy- I don't know whether HH jackets were historically made of the same thickness as the FQHH jackets we're buying. My next one might well be goatskin or a medium-weight hide. Of course, if the zip problem corrects itself, I'll update. The Aeros I have are still, hands down, the best jackets I own.

Been covered many times round here. Not many jackets were that heavy (some were, but rare). I really don't see it making any difference, though, as regards zips.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Occasionally, makers get duff batches of zips, but it's something that only presents itself when the damn things go wrong 'in the field' and the wearer is left with a leather jacket that they have to take off like a sweater or step out of like a dress!

zebedee

One Too Many
The zip problem has not recurred at all- I'm thinking that the talon might just have taken time to wear in.

AdeeC

Practically Family
From Wikipedia (re: Talon Zippers):In 1996 it was acquired by Tag-It Pacific, a company based in California, which changed its corporate name in 2007 to Talon International, Inc., and shifted production to Asia in an attempt to restore the company's fortunes.

It appears the new Talon zippers are made somewhere in Asia.

Aero claim their Talon zippers are made in Japan I believe.

Last edited:

LouisBailie

Banned
I just got the order of solid brass 100% Symmetical solid brass RiRi zippers and I am having 5 jacket (Aero ELC Alexander Leather) zippers replaced. The first jacket I had it done to is bullet proof, works flawlessly, and is excellent looking.

All the leather taylors I asked to replace the sippers had never seen one....probably none here, have either.

Even Steve Toohey was impressed with them...

Stand By

One Too Many
I notice that you've not said much since you first aired the question about Aero zips, Willybob - and I was wondering how you now felt after all these fine opinions?
If you're still undecided, this is the Aero zip that used to be on my Aero ANJ-3 - in an antique finish that I buffed slightly using fine tools here at work and it has a really nice patina IMHO. And the finish is very permanent.

AeroZip#1.JPG AeroZip#2.JPG

If it at all helps, I would be glad to mail it to you - and you can see and feel how buttery smooth it is and get a handle on its size. I think it's a great zip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy