Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zip it

Willybob

A-List Customer
Hey all. willybob here. What's the story on Aero zippers. I have read different comments saying modem talons are bad. Vintage Talons are good. Antiqued brass rubs off. Bright brass is coated. What works and looks best?

Peacoat

Bartender
In my opinion Aero zippers are too small and fussy. If the insertion pin isn't fully inserted into the slider (and it is difficult to fully insert), the chain is going to separate. Larger zips don't have this problem. Unfortunately, Aero doesn't use the larger zips.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, the zipper on my Aero Cafe Racer from the previous management is much larger and double ended....it is 100 times better than the zips they currently offer imo

Willybob

A-List Customer
So what's the best remedy. Do they have an upgrade I can ask for with my LHB order or should I just wait until I have a problem and replace it on my own?

Cooperson

One Too Many
In my opinion Aero zippers are too small and fussy. If the insertion pin isn't fully inserted into the slider (and it is difficult to fully insert), the chain is going to separate. Larger zips don't have this problem. Unfortunately, Aero doesn't use the larger zips.

I agree with Mr Peacoat, they are too small and fussy. Starting the zip on my new 30's Halfbelt is the devils own job, I can be fiddling with it for ever. I usually just give up and wear it open :-(

Worf

I'll Lock Up

I agree totally. I'd put Pike Bros in the small fussy zipper camp as well. My Aero LHB is breaking in well all over but the areaa around the lower zipper pull is markedly more worn simply because of minutes of fiddling to get the zipper started. Vanson and Langlitz with their large beefy zips are much easier to live with.

Worf

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Vanson with a wonderfully smooth big zipper. I also have an Aero and a Bill Kelso that both take a bit of work to get started (especially the Bill Kelso). If I were buying a custom jacket I'd definitely specify modern zippers for their utility. I'm not so interested in authentic reproduction as I am in functionality.

Agreed. Talon zipper they're currently using really is too small and fussy and the way they position the main zipper doesn't help the cause one bit. Downright impossible to zip the jacket if you're wearing gloves...

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Or if I'm not wearing my reading glasses!
Sheesh.
BTW, I asked Carrie at Insurrection about this as I'm having an Aero jacket made and am also concerned about it.
Here's what she wrote back:
"Aero doesn't offer a larger zipper...they only have the #5 standard Talon or the #5 Hookless Talon. The Hookless Talon is a more robust zipper, but we have had too many customers complain about difficulty operating it (it is a great zipper, but requires a little more attention in operation) and we no longer recommend it (unless the customer is already familiar with this zipper). The #5 standard Talon works well and while occasionally customers have issues, it's about as frequent as other zippers from the other manufacturers we sell..."
OK, sounds reasonable to me.
To be honest, I have had Aeros with very reliable zippers. But they take a while to break in and for the leather around them to open up enough to allow easy zippering.
YMMV,
Lenny

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I agree, the zipper on my Aero Cafe Racer from the previous management is much larger and double ended....it is 100 times better than the zips they currently offer imo

Historically, those zips didn't appear til the late 60s, which is outwith Aero's remit - I think the Hippy Jacket had one, but that was about it. Personally, I've never had any problem with the Talons on any of my Aeros, beyond their 'zips up the wrong side'-ness, and haven't lost any of their antique coating (all but one have it). The Hookless took a few goes, but that was it, and aesthetically it's worth the extra effort.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Although Hookless zips aren't historically accurate to jacket zippers.

I was addressing the double-direction zipper specifically, a fact I think I picked up from you some time back, I thought Hookless zippers were mass-produced from 1920s onwards.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hookless branded zips were produced in the '20s. The separable bottomed zipper came around in 1930. There were pulls branded both Hookless and Talon for a short period that made it onto jackets, but as far as I've seen, the strictly Hookless branded ones that are on all the repros (in conjunction with the separable bottom) never actually existed. Those pulls were of earlier production, before zippers made it onto jackets. But they look cool and old, so reproduction companies use them.

The two-way zips came about during WWII, but didn't become popular until the '60s.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They do indeed 'look cool and old' :D. But thanks, it's always interesting to know the finer detail on this stuff.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sheesh how hard is it to offer us an option? I'd pay an extra bob or two to get a larger zipper! Hell fire man when you're paying over a grand for a bespoke leather jacket chintzing on the size of zips doesn't make any sense!

Worf

IXL

One Too Many
Ya' know, you guys are causing me to second guess a bit on getting an Aero: having such a heavy jacket and then fiddling with a small, possibly fragile zipper doesn't hold much appeal for me. All of my Vanson and Schott jackets have big, burly zippers. So do the Espinoza's.
I've not held an Aero to actually examine it but just figured that such a heavy garment would have a bomb proof zipper. All the jackets over at the mall have the light stuff sewn in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy