Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper repair of the thread behind the male insertion pin

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hi shadowrider, thanks for the answer. My father, who's vey handy, thought the same: 1) open a little the pin, 2) restoring the frayed part with a piece of black adhesive cloth tape and 3) close the pin again.
I wonder if we'll be able to open & close this pin. I'm afraid of cracking it. Do you know if Talon supplies spare parts?
Hi, I don't know if they supply spare parts but really doubt it.
Nice drawing indeed. Architect?

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Thank you all for the comments about the drawing :D I'm not architect, but I sketch since kid.
Well, I'm pretty sure I'll repair the frayed part with some adhesive tape (eg. tape used to protect wires of car engines) in order to reinforce it.
But the next question I ask myself is how to "glue" the metal pin to the restored part... I thought opening the pin, but if it's cracked, I'm screwed. So I consider to use some epoxy. Will you recommend epoxy for metal and fabric/clothing?

UnknownSuspect

New in Town
Looks like a fairly common problem and I'm also a statistic with a ripped Talon zipper. It was mildly annoying too because the damage wasn't disclosed by the seller, who actually did say that all the zippers were working properly. I think it's going to be a stretch to find an identical replacement Talon zipper at this point, especially in the appropriate length. The seamstress whom I visit regularly did reinforce it initially and I just avoided using the main zipper altogether.

However winter has come in Melbourne and I just tried to do up the zip today. Heard an obvious "taarrck" and it ripped again. Thankfully I have new replacement zippers, but they're definitely not the same Talon ones.

pak

One of the Regulars
My A2 did the same. I considered trying to repair it. I weighed the time, my general lack of talent and the potential look of the result. I sent the jacket to Great Leather and, in less time than I was fretting over the zipper, it was professionally repaired and returned.

Related question - why's everyone saying it's impossible to replace the insertion pin? If it's metal, isn't it similar to installing zipper stopper? There are replacement pins for sale all over eBay.

robrinay

One Too Many
Related question - why's everyone saying it's impossible to replace the insertion pin? If it's metal, isn't it similar to installing zipper stopper? There are replacement pins for sale all over eBay.
They need to be exactly the same length as the original but it is possible if you've got no rip in the zipper tape. But if it's ripped they are especially useful if you are removing the zip for use on a shorter jacket - and shortening it from the bottom of the male side - to get good tape and the top of the female before fitting.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
If you can find replacement pins, then all you have to do is unstitch the zipper at the bottom, so you can expose the undamaged part of the zipper tape, next to the frayed part, and add the reinfrocement tape (perhaps both if front of and behind the damaged portion).

Eastwood

New in Town
I made such repairs many times with the help of "Super Glue", it is well absorbed into the fabric, and as a result it seems to be filled with plastic. But must do everything quickly and accurately, villi aligning.
On the one side, I stuck a adhesive tape on the zipper - exactly repeating the profile of zipper.
On adhesive tape, everything is leveled.
And the reverse side of the drip glue.
You wait for drying glue, and you unfasten the adhesive tape.
Then gently sharpen the extra and everything is ok and very tight and beautiful.

Last edited:

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Hi mates,

I'm proud to announce my Cal-Leather jacket zipper has been fixed! It zips up properly :D
Let's remember the issue: the zipper didn't work because the fabric which holds the bottom pin was frayed.

What my father and I did:
1. Putting the pin out of the decayed fabric -very carefully! We must try not to warp this metal piece. We used a knife, getting its blade between pin and fabric, prying a bit.
2. The frayed fabric was exposed, so the next step was stitching itself in order to rebuild this part. We did this, but later I thought it was better to stitch a new cottom/nylon piece (easy to find in a haberdashery) on the broken part instead of stitching for a better finish.
3. The last step is crimping the pin on the rebuilt area and... voilà! You saved time and, of course, big bucks.

I'm just waiting the autum comes. It's 73 ºF here in Barcelona...

Thank you all for the comments and help! :)

Hi mates,

I'm proud to announce my Cal-Leather jacket zipper has been fixed! It zips up properly :D
Let's remember the issue: the zipper didn't work because the fabric which holds the bottom pin was frayed.

What my father and I did:
1. Putting the pin out of the decayed fabric -very carefully! We must try not to warp this metal piece. We used a knife, getting its blade between pin and fabric, prying a bit.
2. The frayed fabric was exposed, so the next step was stitching itself in order to rebuild this part. We did this, but later I thought it was better to stitch a new cottom/nylon piece (easy to find in a haberdashery) on the broken part instead of stitching for a better finish.
3. The last step is crimping the pin on the rebuilt area and... voilà! You saved time and, of course, big bucks.

I'm just waiting the autum comes. It's 73 ºF here in Barcelona...

Thank you all for the comments and help! :)

How did you fasten the pin back??

robrinay

One Too Many
Brilliant well done you two! Sounds like you opened the pin up with a knife then squeezed it back on to the repaired tape - a fiddly job I'll bet?

Leather Walker

Practically Family
How did you fasten the pin back??
We used pliers to fasten the pin back. You must be very delicate in this step because if you warp the pin, then this can't go through the slider body of the zipper. *I recommend having a spare pin in case things go sideways.
Brilliant well done you two! Sounds like you opened the pin up with a knife then squeezed it back on to the repaired tape - a fiddly job I'll bet?
Yes, it's a complex method, but worthy. It saves time and money. It can be done by anybody with usual tools and skills. This job takes patience, of course.
We need pictures!!! :)
Sorry, we didn't take any picture. If my drawings can help, I'll post them.

I have a jacket that's in a need of the exact same procedure. I gotta do that. Hate replacing zippers as it always turns out crap.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Pin replacement.jpg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Very well done! I was thinking the same. In the old day, we repaired the zips in the same way. Most people this day just buy a new zip and replace. If you carefull, it will last for a very long time.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Hey, OUTSTANDING Illustrations!!! Genius!!! Definitely will give this a shot, Might want to practice first on a few zips first though.

The only way I've had any success with this issue myself is if there's enough extra Left over material remaining on the male pin side and I can feed a few stitches through it with a needle and thread *VERY* carefully, this has only worked once or twice, more often there's not enough fabric to get a grip if you know what I mean.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I realized this is an old thread but it’s probably the closest one about zipper to what I want to ask. My question is about how zippers are sewn to the bodice & the different styles, eg. exposed teeth vs hidden/concealed. I know the techniques myself, but I’m curious how Aero Leather attach their zippers. It appears that Aero has streamlined a fast & tried style and apply it to all of their jackets. All their zippers are concealed, but I want to know if the top stitch on the front & underside (facing the body) is actually one single run of through-stitch, or the tape was sewn onto the inner facing, then flipped to face the right direction, then a top stitch was applied through the folded bodice edge. I hope this makes sense. I’ll attach some illustration too, later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto