Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper repair of the thread behind the male insertion pin

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tried to search the Fedora Lounge and google but found no answers so I am starting a new thread. I have found a commend problem with old vintage zippers is the male insertion pin comes loose from the zipper thread. Is there a way the reinforce the thread when it starts to wear before the insertion pin pulls completely loose of the zipper thread. I just purchased a 1966 Langlitz jacket with a Coats Clark main zip. The pictures shows tearing at the end of the male insertion pin. The seller verified there is tearing but says the zipper works find and there is a 14 day return. I have not received the jacket yet. I would like to do something to reinforce the thread at the zipper insertion pin. I was thinking of using a tooth pick to spread epoxy on the thread at the insertion pin. Anyone with thoughts experience or ideas. Here is picture from ebay of the zipper
s-l1600 (6).jpg

aswatland

The only real solution is to replace the zip, or at least the male side. It is a common problem with Crown and Talon zips on Wartime A2s. Gluing the tape into the male insertion bar is usually only a temporary fix, unless the jacket is to be just a closet queen!

Yeah, I've been told by a several leather jacket tailors that replacing the zipper is the only solution. Once it starts tearing away from the tape, that's it. The zipper on one of my vintage jackets isn't far off from looking like that and while it works without any trouble, I try to use it as little as possible.

So yeah, the zipper will work, just be careful with it.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
maybe a slowly drying epoxy might work as they stay flexible, maybe put a tape on the inner side to lay the fraying fibres close together, and smear epoxy flatly over them, and see the result overnight.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I hate the death of an original zipper. replacing zippers is a drag and expensive, Certainly worth it on a Langlitz. I've seen those C&C zippers, but they are not as common as a vintage Talon. I thought about finding the correct male side and just having one side done. They are old hard to find parts. Look on etsy and ebay for vintage zippers. You may get lucky.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
maybe a slowly drying epoxy might work as they stay flexible, maybe put a tape on the inner side to lay the fraying fibres close together, and smear epoxy flatly over them, and see the result overnight.
I actually did that on a jacket some years back and it worked.

robrinay

One Too Many
Though I've never tried it I have speculated that the Carbon Fibre Tape - cheap and available on eBay etc might trimmed to size and be glued onto the zipper tape between pin and leather to reinforce the zipper tape. In cases where the pin has torn free replacement is the only answer. In answer to the question posed above - which modern zips will mesh with vintage zips I've worn the jacket and visited a thrift store/charity shop and sneakily tested several zips for fit (on old cheap jackets). I've then used these zips as teeth donors - to replace missing teeth on my vintage jackets but you could cannibalise the required side complete.

This is a great idea and one I've used as well on an old Vanson. It does work so long as there isn't a great deal of stress applied to it. I got a season out of a glue/epoxy but it did eventually fail again and need to be redone, at that point I sent it off to Vanson for repair. Langlitz will do such a nice job I'm sure...you'll probably never notice it's been done

jonbuilder

I checked with Langlitz no male side replacement zips. The Coats & Clark had proprietary mesh teeth. The sail repair tape sounds promising. Langlitz advised against using epoxy.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Be interesting to see how this goes, keep us posted with anything you try.

I had this on a relatively new jacket which lacked any kind of tape in the first place - and in the end on sold it on, mentioning the issue, as I didn't want to make things worse with a botched repair and I wasn't 'that' attached to the jacket. I hope you manage to find something that works.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
I checked with Langlitz no male side replacement zips. The Coats & Clark had proprietary mesh teeth. The sail repair tape sounds promising. Langlitz advised against using epoxy.
Hi Jonbuilder, how did it go at the end? Could you fix the zipper avoiding the replacement?

I'm asking because I have a similiar problem with my new vintage jacket: the bottom male pin is a little separated of the fabric. However I must say it zips up with a little effort, but I'm afraid that doing this, the fabric breaks more and more.

Any advice? Should I use Epoxy or nylon tape? Replacement is not an option.

Thank you all.

zipper.jpg

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I hate it when that happens!
I wonder if it is possible to pry open the male bottom pin, in order to place a thin fabric backing on the zipper tape, and then crimp the pin back in place.

Hi Jonbuilder, how did it go at the end? Could you fix the zipper avoiding the replacement?

I'm asking because I have a similiar problem with my new vintage jacket: the bottom male pin is a little separated of the fabric. However I must say it zips up with a little effort, but I'm afraid that doing this, the fabric breaks more and more.

Any advice? Should I use Epoxy or nylon tape? Replacement is not an option.

Thank you all.

zipper.jpg

If there's some fabric left on each side, you can try sewing it together. I did it on one jacket - exact same deal, the fabric holding the pin started ripping - and it's still holding together just fine after one year of heavy use. Took a while but it works and you couldn't tell it's been repaired. Don't know how long it'll last but it's still better than replacing the entire zipper.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
I hate it when that happens!
I wonder if it is possible to pry open the male bottom pin, in order to place a thin fabric backing on the zipper tape, and then crimp the pin back in place.
Hi shadowrider, thanks for the answer. My father, who's vey handy, thought the same: 1) open a little the pin, 2) restoring the frayed part with a piece of black adhesive cloth tape and 3) close the pin again.
I wonder if we'll be able to open & close this pin. I'm afraid of cracking it. Do you know if Talon supplies spare parts?
If there's some fabric left on each side, you can try sewing it together. I did it on one jacket - exact same deal, the fabric holding the pin started ripping - and it's still holding together just fine after one year of heavy use. Took a while but it works and you couldn't tell it's been repaired. Don't know how long it'll last but it's still better than replacing the entire zipper.
Hi Monitor, thanks for the answer. I thought the same, but the problem is there isn't fabric holding the pin, the vast majority is on the zipper side. Here a picture of the issue:
zipper2.jpg

I'll let you know about what happened at the end!

robrinay

One Too Many
Just to repeat what I said at the end of my above comment but more clearly:
I have found that Talon number 5 zipper tapes will mesh perfectly with number 5 YKK tapes so halve the cost of the job by only replacing the male side with a compatible YKK of the same colour. Check the compatibility by carefully gently trying it out with a YKK male side - still attached to a different jacket - so no money wasted buying a useless zip if it doesn't mesh. The female side has the Talon id so no worries? (also I heard that YKK now own Talon?). I'm pretty sure if it works for #5 it will work for other sizes provided both tapes are the same size. For the record on one of my jackets I'm using a wartime Crown puller on a modern YKK tape (reversed so you can't see the YKK stamp and It works fine.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Hi shadowrider, thanks for the answer. My father, who's vey handy, thought the same: 1) open a little the pin, 2) restoring the frayed part with a piece of black adhesive cloth tape and 3) close the pin again.
I wonder if we'll be able to open & close this pin. I'm afraid of cracking it. Do you know if Talon supplies spare parts?

Hi Monitor, thanks for the answer. I thought the same, but the problem is there isn't fabric holding the pin, the vast majority is on the zipper side. Here a picture of the issue:
zipper2.jpg

I'll let you know about what happened at the end!
I will refrain from making jokes about male insertion pins and will simply say that's an excellent drawing. I'm really impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff