Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zootshooting

DerMann said:
Nice to see one of the gentlemen has a fully automatic Thompson, even if it looks to be an M1A1, which is technically an anachronism.
Nope, those Thompsons are long-barrels with vertical foregrips, which tells me they're 1927s, which are made to look similar to the 1921AC and 1928AC. The "Happy Switch" is a dummy, and many owners convert it into a "bolt holdback" to lock the bolt when loading a drum. (On closed-bolt semis you need a third hand to hold the bolt open while you load a drum, a problem the open-bolt FA's don't have.)

Talbot said:
I have a mate in TX who has a licence to manufacture firearms for the Armed Forces. Gatling guns last time I visited. Compulsive collector with more items than he can keep track of. Nice guy though, he gave me a new Ruger 380 when I was there, but I had to decline - couldn't get it home. He's building some 50 cal rifles at the moment for his own amusement and to give to some buddies. "Gun control means never having to say, I missed you"
The friend who checked me out on his 1928 and M1 has the same credentials--next best thing to having a license for the toys is having a friend who does!:D

carebear said:
Some of the biggest growth in the shooting sports has been among women.

A welcome change, I've spent wayyyyy too much time hanging out with guys like Dback and Story in my shooting career.

:D
Right back at you, Matt :p--actually, I prefer to shoot with gals over guys 'cause it's a no-lose situation: having company, and then if she takes me up on my standing offer of "loser-buys handicap-match" I have a crack at upgrading to having a companion at dinner as well.:D

"You can't beat a girl who shoots!" lol

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - James Bond - Ninja
via FoxyTunes

Talbot

One Too Many
Story said:
Is he using the WWII UK .55 Boys AT rifles as a building base?

I'm not sure. Knowing him, I think he'll go from scratch. His reasoning?
You never know when you migh need to hit something far away:rolleyes: .

Probably more to do with anticipated weapons restrictions.

Story

I'll Lock Up
They have a new website.
http://www.zootshooters.com/

AZSA is a multi-gun sport in which participants dress in 1920s-1930s costumes and compete against the clock engaging targets for the best possible score. Zoot Shooters must use firearms that are correct for the time surrounding Prohibition.

High Pockets

Practically Family
I did the SASS thing for years,....what a great time. Good family fun, nice folks. I managed to make several life-long friends.

:D Zootshooting looks like a blast! If if ever comes my way I'm in!:D

Unfortunately I doubt it will ever be as popular as Cowboy Action,....most of the folks I know that shoot SASS grew up just like me; you came home from school and watched your favorite cowboys on TV and went outside to play cowboys and Indians. I doubt the same number of kids went home and played gangsters.

As far as period correct clothing,......I can only speak in reference to SASS: not many folks care,...as long as you kinda look like you should be shooting that stage, it's cool.
It has more to do with having fun with your friends shooting in a loose competition than it does puttin' on a fashion show.

Story

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:
:D Zootshooting looks like a blast! If if ever comes my way I'm in!:D

No reason one can't organize a local shoot, even if you lack Thompsons and have only firearms appropriate up to 1939, with your crowd of 'usual suspects'.

They sent me an application for their August shoot, anyone needing a copy can PM me.

In short, the match is August 29th 2009 at Clear Creek County Sportsman's Club in Dumont, CO. It starts at 10am. There will be six Capers. And the match fee is $50.00. Random prize drawings will be donated by Auto-Ordnance (who will be attending and represented by Jodi DePorter), Sabre Defence and Tuffy Security Products. There will be cash prizes awarded to match winners and the amounts will be determined by the number of paid entries (hint: get yours friends to come so you can win more money). Remember, if you want to shoot our match and the Mile High IPSC match, Jerry and Abs will let you shoot Mile High on Friday so you can shoot Zoot Shooters on Saturday.

As for watching TV and playing 'gangsters and G-men' as a kid, maybe that's a Joisey thing.
rofl.gif

anon`

One Too Many
I wouldn't mind getting into this, either. Some of their rules are kinda wonky, particularly with respect to holsters and drawing, and the apparent ban on .32 calibre pistols, or any handgun loaded with more than seven rounds.

But all in all, it seems fun.

Levallois

Practically Family
I've read there rules and they seem open to guns other than the Thompson and 1911. I wonder if they would let me use my 351 Winchester with 10 round mags and cast bullets?

Levallois

Practically Family
Well, I went ahead and joined even though I'm about 10 hours from the nearest caper. I got the clothes and the guns. Unfortunately, right now I don't have the time to drive 20 hours round trip or organize a local group but maybe in the near future? Couldn't pass up getting in at the beginning.

John aka "Alvin Karpis"

Levallois

Practically Family
Diamondback,

Roguish? That's the nicest thing anyone has said about me for a long while now. Thanks! For example, I was recently described by someone in my office that I don't know personally and vice-versa (think a big office) - as "that salt and peppered headed gentleman who goes to the snack machine all the time." My wife thought it was the funniest thing she'd heard in weeks. I'll take roguish anyday.

John

Viola

Call Me a Cab
High Pockets said:
Unfortunately I doubt it will ever be as popular as Cowboy Action,....most of the folks I know that shoot SASS grew up just like me; you came home from school and watched your favorite cowboys on TV and went outside to play cowboys and Indians. I doubt the same number of kids went home and played gangsters.

...Really? I never actually played cowboys and Indians as a kid, I don't think. I liked them but it wasn't a thing in the neighborhood.

We always played cops-and-robbers or soldiers or gangsters or some sort of superhero/action game, Batman/Ninja Turtles, which is to say cops-and-robbers with nunchuks. Maybe that's 'cause we were city kids? lol

I think shooting sports like this (I had really wanted to get into Cowboy Action shooting but this looks like the cat's pajamas too) are some of what I'll miss most about leaving the US next year. :(

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Story said:

I think I tried to email those guys at one point and they must have seen it was a Yank and never wrote me back.

And I can't figure out their gun licenses, especially if you don't have citizenship, and you can't have a pump shotgun or a lot of the handgun calibers you see in American SAS.

You can have a SxS though I think.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Viola said:
...Really? I never actually played cowboys and Indians as a kid, I don't think. I liked them but it wasn't a thing in the neighborhood.

We always played cops-and-robbers or soldiers or gangsters or some sort of superhero/action game, Batman/Ninja Turtles, which is to say cops-and-robbers with nunchuks. Maybe that's 'cause we were city kids? lol

I think shooting sports like this (I had really wanted to get into Cowboy Action shooting but this looks like the cat's pajamas too) are some of what I'll miss most about leaving the US next year. :(

:) You're much much younger than I my dear.

We also played a lot of "cops-n-robbers",....back when you could even play like that at school during recess........:(

Several of my best friends and I met for the first time at the local SASS shoots, and we will remain friends for many years, whether we shoot or not.
Perhaps something will work out for you in the future.:) I hope so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails