Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zootshooting

Story

I'll Lock Up
From the Kahrtalk forums - some of you have already seen this.

Would anyone be interested in affordable reproductions of early model 1911 pistols? There are plenty of 1911A1 clones out there but no 1911s (that I am aware of). Colt had a limited run of them a couple of years ago and they now offer a presentation grade from their custom shop but that is not what I am looking for. I want something that looks like I walked into a store, in the early ‘20s, and bought it off the shelf. I do not believe I am the only one; I am certain a gun like this would appeal not only to Zoot Shooters but SASS Wild Bunch cowboys and collectors as well. The other expensive options are to one, buy a used 1911, have it restored and potentially destroy its historical value; or two, have a gunsmith build a custom replica.

Speak-up, people that can make this happen are listening!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
Caspian Arms makes a "Classic" (as opposed to -A1) frame, last I knew.

Hi

The Caspian Classic frame is a normal 1911A1 frame. The non-classic Caspian has a lot more metal behind the grips. I checked the Brownell's catalog online. They also sell Essex, Wilson, and Baer Frames.

Later

Per their current website, the "Basic" is an A1 receiver, the "Classic" is a pre-A1.

Basic:
recegm.jpg

Classic:
classicgm.jpg

Point being, the frames are available if someone looks, and is willing to learn a little about how to put a 1911 together.

1961MJS

Hi

Well, everyone else is selling the "classic Caspian" as a 1911A1, but with the trigger guard cuts. The primary difference in the classic caspian is the extra metal under the grips which the other manufacturers don't have.

Check this site and click on the "All the differences can be seen here."

http://www.m1911.org/full_history.htm

It doesn't say that the frames are the same, but it doesn't say that they are different except for the trigger cuts.

Later

1961MJS

Story said:
The idea being floated is a 1911 offered as a factory pistol, not something custom-cobbled from a pile of parts.

Furthermore, it'd be reasonably priced.

So, again - who'd be up for one, reasonably priced?

Hi

Unfortunately, a 1911 just to be a 1911 not a 1911A1 is FAR down my list of toys. 1. New Les Baer or Clark .45 ACP with Slide Mounted Ultradot ($3,000); 2. New Matching Baer or Clark .38 Special (or 9mm) 1911 also with Slide Mounted Ultradot (next $3,000); 3. Browning over and under 12 gauge for Skeet and trap; 4. AR-15, 5. Garand...

Later

Story

I'll Lock Up

1961MJS

Diamondback said:
For a pre-A1-style 1911, albeit with the Series 80 safety, you might check out Para's "Wild Bunch" SASS model.

Hi, I searched the Para ord sight and didn't find anything specifically labeled as Wild or SASS. Is it the GI Expert?

Thanks

Mike

Just launched at SHOT Show in May--so new they don't have much beyond print ads out for it yet. I personally, like many, don't like the laser-etched "billboard" running down the slide, but that's more cosmetics than functional--and it's pretty much classic pre-A1 ergonomically, big departures are the PXT extractor and Series 80 safety.

1961MJS

Diamondback said:
Just launched at SHOT Show in May--so new they don't have much beyond print ads out for it yet. I personally, like many, don't like the laser-etched "billboard" running down the slide, but that's more cosmetics than functional--and it's pretty much classic pre-A1 ergonomically, big departures are the PXT extractor and Series 80 safety.

Hi

Please, PLEASE tell me it doesn't have WILD BUNCH running down the side of the slide in half inch lettering, please Whimper whimper. :eek:

Later

1961MJS

Sigh, that's not so bad. I don't own any Para's, but all of my 1911's have serrated or checkered front straps except the RIA and it has a beavertail.

I'd like to find a period double action .38 Special so I can shoot it in NRA Distinguished Pistol too.

Later

Story

I'll Lock Up
About three decades ago, practical shooters from a generation reared on Roy Rogers and Gene Autry began dressing up in cowboy suits and firing six-shooters, giving birth to the sport of "cowboy action shooting."

Today, there are thousands of cowboy shooters world-wide.

Now, a new generation of sport shooters raised on punk rock, skateboards and mobster movies is moving in.

So far, there are only about 60 Zoot Shooters, in four states and Italy. As the sport gets under way, the cowboys are turning out to be some of the most eager gangsters. "Actually, our biggest draw right now is cowboys," says Mr. Huss.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203513204576047843270055436.html

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Let's get it started!

... But, for this golden 20th century shooting I doubt I would have to buy anything and probably a lot of shooters could easily do that. Auto Ordnance would probably sell more if it got popular, but I would certainly argue that forcing that type of weapon or class to compete would be a mistake.

The only way for it to be successful would be to have pistol, rifle and shotgun and the special class can be a side class. This is done in cowboy also as there are special classes for those who want to buy nice Sharp's rifles and shoot long range stuff. But that's my opinion.

+1!
Many people in the Golden Era still had their "daddies' rifles/guns" as their firearms of choice, much like some detectives still use .38s from the '60s as their off-duty choice. Many of the firearms used in CAS could be used in various classes in "Golden Era Shooting" and we would have more members since people who already participate in CAS wouldn't see it as too expensive to try, as well as opening new categories for 1911s, Tommy's, BARs, Double-guns, etc...

The name kinda sucks to me, "zootsuits" were not the primary attire of gangsters or G Men. It has possibilities as a neat subculture of the shooting world, but I don't like that particular group's model....

Zoot-shooters could be a sub-group like "Gunslinger" is in CAS. They could participate in other classes with various attire/firearms, then specifically "Zootsuits" and Tommy's for a "Zoot-shoot" class.

All that said, would I shoot it? Sure I'll shoot just about anywhere, anytime and I do. A semi auto Tommy is fine for that stuff, but full auto Thompson's should be shot for special occasions and otherwise kept in vaults. They are rare now and we need to keep all that are still around in good shape. Shot yes, every month, no.

Maybe they could have Semi's for most events and have the "real deal" for a Year End Match or something....

Just my .03 ...

1911 pre A1

Originally Posted by Story
The idea being floated is a 1911 offered as a factory pistol, not something custom-cobbled from a pile of parts.

Furthermore, it'd be reasonably priced.

The run of Colt 'Black Army' 1918s reissued a few years back stopped after 4,000 units....

So, again - who'd be up for one, reasonably priced?

That would depend on reasonably priced, but if they were around the same as ($350-$700) buying a new Beretta, Glock, or SIG-Sauer then YES I'd be interested!

Also, would it have the "Black Army" finish, or simply have the body/style of it?

Last edited:

irb

Familiar Face
I would love to participate in this. Also I would have an excuse to get that .38 Super I've been after.

There doesn't appear to be an Arizona chapter. Hmm....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto