Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Since my pocketbook isn't very forgiving, I really like the Almay shade of Wine - both the liner and lipstick. It's not a bright garish red, but more of a darker, rich berry shade.

I'm just waiting for my Besame samples to arrive; at least I ordered them before they stopped doing the sample shipping [huh]

roots66

One of the Regulars
These are a few of my favorite reds

Nothing terribly exotic here--I'm mostly a drugstore cowgirl when it comes to cosmetics...

Fave full-on lippies include:

Revlon Super Lustrous in Scarlet Velvet. Also like their more subtle Bed of Roses.

L'oreal Endless in Crimson Joy (though I'm starting to think it's a bit too dark).

L'oreal Colour Riche LEs in Buttoned-Up Red and Leading Lady Red. Shoulda snapped up more Leading Lady when I had the chance, cause it's become my absolute fave--they should consider adding this to the permanent roster. Also have Some Like it Scarlett, but it's a bit too bright for me.

Cover Girl Incredifull in Maximum Red and Ruby Rush. Supposedly these have some kinda "plumping" effect; I don't really notice much of a difference, except for a slight tingle for a few minutes after application--sounds unappetizing, but feels kinda cool actually!

Marcelle in Ruby Red and Vintage Red (a Canadian hypoallergenic line--kinda Canada's answer to Almay).

Maybelline Moisture Extreme in Royal Red--brighter than I'm used to but somehow not garish.

Boots No. 7 Stay Perfect in Cherry.

Fave longwears: Maybelline Superstay in Flame and Ruby. Tend to only wear these for late-night events that don't involve dinner, 'cause they do flake off a bit while eating (yech) and you can't really reapply them in a ladies' room. I may have to shell out for MAC Lasting Lust or one of the lipstains touted by Gluegungeisha in another thread.

Fave Sheers: I like L'oreal Color Juice Stick in Cherry Freeze, but I think I prefer the new Cover Girl Trushine in Valentine and Flame. I tend to look best in true or blue reds, but somehow the more orange/coral-toned Flame works just swell. NYC Sheer Red is pretty good, but the Trushines have better staying power and no weird unnecessary taste/smell, and despite the name they're not overly shiny.

All reasonably priced for the glamour gal on a budget.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
roots66 said:
L'oreal Colour Riche LEs in Buttoned-Up Red and Leading Lady Red. Shoulda snapped up more Leading Lady when I had the chance, cause it's become my absolute fave--they should consider adding this to the permanent roster. Also have Some Like it Scarlett, but it's a bit too bright for me.

These are my 2 favorites as well! I picked up all 4 reds from that line, but those 2 seem to look the best with my skintone. They also seem to last pretty well. I picked up 2 of each and wish I'd bought more!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
My new favourite red is from a German company called ArtDeco. They mostly do nail and manicure stuff. I got it in a bit of a whim but I was very pleasantly surprised! It's very good quality, very pigmented and longlasting and doesn't have a heavy smell. The colour I got is 05 and although it's a deep bluish red it works with my yellowish complexion, unlike the Besame ones which all looked fuschia on me. I've got to get hold of a camera so I can post pics!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
roots66 said:

I find with all of these I put on about half what I normally would then blot and the color is still plenty bright. Sometimes that's what a girl wants though.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
roots66 said:
Nothing terribly exotic here--I'm mostly a drugstore cowgirl when it comes to cosmetics...

Me too.
My budget won't allow some of the more expensive brands, so here are a few more drug store favorites.

Covergirl makes: Classic Red which is a nice red with blue undertones.

I love Revlon lipcolor.
Certainly Red is a pretty true red.
Cherries in the Snow is more of a pinky red with blue undertones.
Bed of Roses is more pink than red, but comes out plenty dark on me.
Reel Red was a nice bricky red without too much orange. Limited edition though.

If you use Revlon, keep your eye out in the Sunday paper. I currently have a $3 off coupon. I'm waiting for the drugstore to have a "buy one get on free sale" to use it with.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Still looking for mine...

I'm saving up for a tube of Dr. Hauschka's, but I might try Besame, since the quality and ethics of the company seem to fit me. I liked the look and feel of the Chanel lipstick my MUA from sunday's photoshoot used on me, but Chanel is listed as one of the top 20 "brands of concern" on Skin Deep (www.cosmeticsdatabase.com)!! GROSS.

For a really subtle shade, I like the Body Shop's lipstain. It's made with roses -- no bugs. For true red, I like Eyeko lipstain...it's like coloring your lips with a felt pen. lol

GILDA

Just found a great one in CVS. A brand called Milani. The lipstick is called Moist Matte in Energizing. Its a corally red and matte, beautiful, and $4

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
roots66 said:
NYC Sheer Red is pretty good, but the Trushines have better staying power and no weird unnecessary taste/smell, and despite the name they're not overly shiny.

I wear NYC Sheer Red everyday- I like a darker red generally. I recently picked up NYC Retro Red and it is definitely that. Very matte but not sticky. I like it; it's a true red. I have a problem with leaving lipsticks in the hot car, so the fact that they cost under $1 really appeals to me also. :eek:

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I just purchased Zuzu Luxe red lipstick in "Starlet" for my shoot tomorrow, and I love it! However, I'm a little nervous about how it's going to photograph, because it contains titanium dioxide -- a natural light reflector, and the key ingredient in natural sunscreens. Oops! The shade is great, though, and the ingredients are amazing -- it even contains St. John's Wort extract! No fillers or toxins...yum.

In terms of durability, I like the Dr. Hauschka better, but it lasts very well and a little goes a long way. It's less pricey too, about the same price as Besame...still high-end, but not completely ridiculous. On the website, the "Starlet" color looks really pink, but I'd consider it a true red -- no pink, blue or orange undertones. Very nice!

I also bought Dr. Hauschka lipliner. It's not very soft, but I like the control it gives me. The color is still really good.

I'll probably post a photo of my new lipstick on the other thread once I get the photos from saturday's shoot back.

roots66

One of the Regulars
Off-topic...

...but GGGeisha, I've just gotta say that I've been extremely impressed by your expertise in and dedication to matters of natural and ethical health. I'm amazed you're only 17!!! Most gals your age don't have a clue...heck, I've got nearly two decades on you and I barely do myself! Kudos.

gluegungeisha said:
I just purchased Zuzu Luxe red lipstick in "Starlet" for my shoot tomorrow, and I love it! However, I'm a little nervous about how it's going to photograph, because it contains titanium dioxide -- a natural light reflector, and the key ingredient in natural sunscreens. Oops! The shade is great, though, and the ingredients are amazing -- it even contains St. John's Wort extract! No fillers or toxins...yum.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I don't know if they still make it, but my brother and sister bought me a tube of Prescriptives 'Sangria' over ten years ago, and I still have it and use it. It is true, vibrant red, perhaps with a bit of blue. It last forever (hence it's long life in my makeup bag); one application is good for at least 12 hours. I wear it when I'm having no-fear of red.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
roots66 said:
...but GGGeisha, I've just gotta say that I've been extremely impressed by your expertise in and dedication to matters of natural and ethical health. I'm amazed you're only 17!!! Most gals your age don't have a clue...heck, I've got nearly two decades on you and I barely do myself! Kudos.

Aww, thank you! My mother brought me up that way. :)

HepKat

New in Town
I just received a sample of Avon's 'Super Red' lipstick, and let me tell you, as soon as I put it on I raced to the computer to see if I could order it. It's the best color, I've been using a very red-red lipstick and the Avon Super Red is a little subtler, but it moisturizes and looks so great!

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
I really like Legendary by Smashbox, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I might have to convert to Besame or MAC lipsticks! There are so many great suggestions here, I'm sure I wont have much of a problem replacing it.

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
When I use lipstick it's Clarins Rouge Intense in no. 49 Deep Red.

But for everyday wear, I use Maybelline's Superstay lipcolour.
I have 3 shades, Cherry, Wine and Flame.

It puts up with daily wear is just the right price for a poor uni student such as myself!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
OK... so I don't normally wear red during the day. Yeah, I know. But I got an evaluation a while back during my clinical rotations about my red lips being "a little too much for the work place" especially when paired with my typical 3 inch heels. Geezz.. as if I was husband hunting. Hey, I'm already married. Man, hospitals can be such sticklers.

Anyhow, I usually stick to pinks and browns (besides, I looooove pink). But I found a great red that works for the "day time". MAC Ladybug. Besides I love the name. And yes, I'm one of those weirdos that will by a lipstick with a cute name. :p

Ladybug is a red red (like russian red) but its a semi-glaze so its softer. I pair that with a red lipliner and its perfection!

FYI, Russian red does come in a gloss. But it doesn't have enough color for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21