Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Avalon said:
NYC Ultra Moist Lipwear in "Retro Red" (just what it sounds like: a strong, blue-based red) and "Sheer Red" (a darker brown-red). In the summer I'll use a red gloss instead - like Milani Glossy Tubes in "Cherry Pop Shine" (looks fuschia on the website, but is a bright, clear red). All of them are drugstore brands, and none of them are over $3. :eusa_clap

That's so funny, I just returned home from CVS with NYC's Sheer Red in tow. I love it, and it smells great.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
That's so funny, I just returned home from CVS with NYC's Sheer Red in tow. I love it, and it smells great.
NYC; ....with their lipsticks, how do they feel on? are they sticky at all? I really love their product, 'browser', it's been one of my best make-up finds.

Miss_Bella_Hell

mysterygal said:
NYC; ....with their lipsticks, how do they feel on? are they sticky at all? I really love their product, 'browser', it's been one of my best make-up finds.

Well, the red I have on is semi-sheer. It's weightless and isn't at all sticky. It feels very nice on!

Avalon

A-List Customer
mysterygal, I love all of their products.
boogie.gif
Their lipsticks have a smooth texture, not waxy or sticky; and as Miss Bella Hell (cute name!) said, they smell good too! I'm also addicted to their liquid eyeliner - it doesn't budge, and ALL eye makeup does the slip 'n' slide on me. lol

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

IMHO, They feel too smooth to me, I can't stand NYC. I also don't like lipsticks that have too much of added smell or taste. It's all personal preference though.

I do like Revlon and Maybelline though. I'm used to thick feeling lipstick.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Favorite reds

Revlon Certainly Red, Mac Red, Ruby Woo Mac, Besame Red, Love That Red Revlon, Estee Lauder Classic Red, YSL #120, Trucco Sabastion Blood Red, LA FEMME CLEO RED, Julie Hewette Femme Noir,

cherrybombrandy

New in Town
I love L'Oreal Endless Wear in Crimson Joy, and i just re-discovered my Avon Perfect Wear in Fine Wine. They both last all day, and don't dry out my lips.

GOK

One Too Many
humblestumble said:
<snip>
I also don't like lipsticks that have too much of added smell or taste. It's all personal preference though.

I agree - some that I've tried actually make me feel quite nauseous, although I'm fine with lip balm as long as it is very lightly scented/flavoured. I also don't like gloss...in fact, I'd go so far as to say I loathe it!

For me, the perfect lipstick is matte, has excellent staying power and doesn't make me look like a tart! MAC Russian Red fulfills all criteria! :D

B?©same's Red, Cherry Red and Red Hot Red come a close second (and the cases are divine) but alas, they let me down on the staying power. Such a shame.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Lately,my favorites have included Revlon's Cherries in the Snow and Certainly Red.My absolute fave is Mac Ruby Woo,the color and the name.
I would like to purchase some reds that have a more 30s look,any recommendations?

Miss_Bella_Hell

I'm concerned that the NYC lipstick may have caused a pimple just above my upper lip, so I am wary of trying it again. That and my MAC ocean berry looks just like it.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
All of MAC's reds... I love Urban Decay's Gash (not sure if they still make that) and Victoria's Secret Cerise #333 (?) it is THE perfect Betty Grable in How to Marry a Millionaire red!

Glaistig

New in Town
I am still on the search for the perfect red but these are my favorite reds so far:

MAC - Viva Glam (original)
Chanel - Barcelona Red
Revlon - Raisin Rage

(My regular standby for many years now is Shiseido's Honey Tea. It's a sheer "your lips but better" color!)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
In my opinion,you can't beat Max Factor. I don't even know what the shade is called now. When I got my first one many moons ago aged 12, it was simply shade 01! Bit shiny though. The second one, also bought years ago is still on the go. It had a name but it's worn off now. It is lovely and matte.

Just incase you think I went round wearing red lipstick at the age of 12, I had it for my ballet performances! Strangely, my mother is about the only mother ever to say 'Put some lipstick on - you look so pale without it' when all the other mothers were telling their daughters to take it off! lol

absynth

New in Town
Finally

I have been searching for a nice blue red that would suit my irish rose complexion for about 15 years. I have never in all of that time found one that didn't end up looking orangey once it went on, no matter how nice it looked in the tube. Which much to my dismay, included all of the lovely shades of reds from MAC:( . Once I joined this site, I went through all of the makeup listing and wrote down every single shade of red that you ladies suggested and I went on the hunt. I found most of the colors except for the Besame products. They all looked awful!!:rage: It was so frustrating. Then I went into the Shoppers Drug Mart and one of the ladies that works there told me about a really nice true red that was a limited edition from L'oreal that had come out as a promotion and was used on Scarlett Johannson for when she was doing the Black Dahlia stuff. They had all the left over stock in the back room to go back with the sales rep the next time that she came in. But the lady offered to go and get some for me and am I glad that she did. The lip liner is called Scarlett Glamour and the lipstick is called Leading Lady Red. I am madly in love with it and it is the first red that has ever suited me. Even my husband was like, wow that looks great!:) I just figured that I would let everyone know incase your stores might have any stashed away. I bought 4 tubes of lipstick and 4 lipliners since I knew that I would run out and then be mad because I couldn't get it anymore. The lady that helped me, told me that this shade was selling better then the high end stuff from Chanel and products in that range because the color was so nice and the lipstick feels so smooth and goes on so nicely even though it has a matte sort of finish. Anyways enough of my long long story. Enjoy!!!

BegintheBeguine

Love Shoppers' Drug Mart, Absynth. On me, the problem is the opposite of you: most orange and red lipsticks turn an unflattering shade of magenta on this redheaded gal. Still, I try. I love lipstick. Have 1000s. Bought all of the Scarlett line when it came out, even those colors turned on me (like the old MoodMatcher lipsticks) slightly but I still wear 'em.

fleur

One of the Regulars
Benefit Zero Guilt - I am wearing it in the avatar and thats after a night out for a slap up meal and drinkie poos for hubbys birthday/

It lasts and lasts :eusa_clap

missyoli

New in Town
i've been using avon's retro red. it's a really nice color not to strong and has a bit of a blue undertone. really like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran