Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

12-3/4yo Daniel, HAT guinea pig seeks your advice...-

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hello Gents, Our son Daniel is of course now hooked on a good fedora (and other hats) too! We've found two at the Vintage Fashion Expo in SF, and three on evilBay. He's ready he said (with Mom's help here on FL) to be the ultimate HAT guinea pig. What should he get next?? Please share your knowlege and expertise here to make recommendations for him. Btw, he is a "Summer". He looks great in pastel colors, burgundy, charcoal, etc. He has like five pairs of dress slacks. He likes to wear slacks, dress shirts and tie whenever he can. One navy blazer already.

Vintage may be the best choice, as he is only a 6-3/4 or possibly a 6-7/8 hat size right now. He wants a vintage boater or a new one if we could get one in his size but it needs to be a 3" brim to be 20s-30s period correct- we were told this by a good deco friend of ours. Our vintage dealer guru Miz Jula (Isola) does not suggest a vintage boater for him, as they are very fragile, she's saying newsboy cap for the upcoming Gatsby Summer afternoon done by our Art deco Society coming in Sept. I was not sure whether he'd want a newsboy or a panama for the Gatsby, so I just asked him. He said enthusiastically, "both!" That's my boy!

I think Daniel is that long narrow head shape like his Dad. You may be able to tell this from his pics. Daniel is a Fred Astaire wannabe, who wants an Art Deco wardrobe. Mr. Astaire is his style role model. Looking forward to reading your replies:)

Okay, here he is sans hat:
360023941.jpg

Here's what he has so far:
1) vintage Towncraft stingy brim, color grey/green black ribbon, second (r) pic shows profile of his head to help determine head shape
359087661.jpg
361670889.jpg
2)vintage deep brown Dobbs w/h matching deep brown ribbon, marked The Man's Shop Steiger's Springfield, came with an original Dobbs Fifth Avenue HATS New York box
362403656.jpg
3) may not be too vintage Tan corduroy London Fog
(very stiff, cannot flip front brim)-okay, so it looked like a good hat in the auction!
362403664.jpg
4) vintage beaver opera hat, marked in liner (see pic), also embossed in gold on leather hat band Henry Heath Ltd. 105-107-109 Oxford St LONDON, and Tom Dillon SAN FRANCISCO (Sale Agent), for wearing with his white tie and tails
362402951.jpg
362403651.jpg

5) vintage Borsalino med. grey w/ black ribbon, came rolled in its original triangular box. This has the largest brim of all his vintage felt hats. Not bashed, creased or anything yet- will take this hat to get that done by our vintage dealer guru Roberto Isola (the Style Enforcer) in Daly City, He's got all the tools for doing this right.
362404050.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I prefer 1. 2 is pretty good, 4 is fine with the right outfit, and 5 will probably look good.

3 should be burned.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks for the reply lefty...

You may be right. lol lol Figured he can always use it in the rain if we get it made water-repellent at the dry cleaners. I suppose wearing it not straight on (hey he put it on that way, and DH taking the photos didn't shift it back on his head or anything)wouldn't help...

Goose.

Practically Family
Chinaski said:
Simon "Lefty" Cowell. But like the real Simon Cowell, probably dead-on.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

When I was about 14, there was a guy around the corner that went to the same school as me. All through high school he always wore a this one stingy fedora. I thought that was cool. Looked a lot like your pic #1.

At that age I wore a flat cap. But I would've worn a stingy if I had one.
So, go with type 1 or a flat. But a Homburg would, as Indy Cop said, present a "head knocker" attittude that will have kids hiding their lunch money in their shoes if he decides to wear it for those days that are too cool for school. But, he'd have to ditch the nice smile and try this: :rage:

He'll probably end up with "all of the above" anyway. BUT, unlike Paula Abdul waffling, Lefty is correct, number three shouldn't make it to the next round.
:)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, but...

These five hats shown here are ones DS Daniel already OWNS.

I wasn't necessarily looking for critique and/or affirmation one these five.

My idea of the thread was to show what he already HAS, and get advice on what is recommended to GET HIM NEXT and for other future hat(s) ideas. Maybe I didn't word the thread well...

Goose.

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
... recommended to GET HIM NEXT and for other future hat(s) ideas. Maybe I didn't word the thread well...
I understood quite clear...another fedora like pic 1, a flat cap, or a Homburg.
See, I did my homework Teach ;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Goose!

I'll tell him! What color fedora next, black? He's got black and charcoal dress slacks. Even though I think a black homburg would look great with his tux he has, or with a DB tux, so far he's not buying it...

Goose. said:
I understood quite clear...another fedora like pic 1, a flat cap, or a Homburg.
See, I did my homework Teach ;)

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Looks like he already has dark colored ones, so I guess tan / taupe / fawn color would be next. What fedora? just like the guy on his right - 1) right pic :) :)

Why not try porkpie as well? He'll look jazzy enough :)

chanteuseCarey said:
These five hats shown here are ones DS Daniel already OWNS.

I wasn't necessarily looking for critique and/or affirmation one these five.

My idea of the thread was to show what he already HAS, and get advice on what is recommended to GET HIM NEXT and for other future hat(s) ideas. Maybe I didn't word the thread well...

How about a bowler / derby?

3332515857_bb5755ee23.jpg

Or a dreaded Alpen velour?

3297757278_f5b21b23ff.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran