Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1912 World Series Sea of Hats

cptjeff

Practically Family
I want one of those stingy homburgs. I think one of those is going to be my life quest now, or rather life quest until I can afford to have art make me one. College quest then.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
I want one of those stingy homburgs. I think one of those is going to be my life quest now, or rather life quest until I can afford to have art make me one. College quest then.

Check out the movie "Michael Collins" - lots of that type hat. There is also documentary footage included that shows film of the actual hats, plus some period 'backbow' hats.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Pick out the people who are looking at the camera. What are they wearing?

That can't be coincidence, but not sure what it's saying about the wearers.

univibe88

One Too Many
Mario said:
I have to say that I'm amazed to see quite a few telescope crowns/porkpies in the crowd. For some reason I always thought that they became popular much later.

I noticed and thought the same thing.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Grandpa would have been a young man of 29 then, he wore a bowler into his old age.

Grandpa.jpg

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
Pick out the people who are looking at the camera. What are they wearing?

That can't be coincidence, but not sure what it's saying about the wearers.

I think that's a little curious too. In my few minutes of examining the photo, I couldn't find a single brim-wearer looking at the camera.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Homburgs! We ain't got no steenking homburgs!

"... until I can afford to have art make me one."

Please forgive my paraphrase of that famous line from "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", also parodied in "Blazing Saddles". I got a vintage homburg last spring on eBay. I contacted Art about a re-furbish. He told me that he doesn't have the blocks and flanges for homburgs. He advised me to send it to Optimo. They did a credible job on it. So unless and until Art lays hands on homburg blocks and flanges, you'll have to quest elsewhere.

buler

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
Anybody know where I can find more photos similar to this and others? I tried searching, no luck. [huh]

Hi Bolt, try searching google for "historic photo collection". There are tons of these on the web. Then you can usually search by subject or keyword. Try "hat", "fashion", "crowd", "sports"....etc.

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
bolthead said:
Anybody know where I can find more photos similar to this and others? I tried searching, no luck. [huh]

I was stuck on the Shorpy's site for about two hours the other day - so much fascinating stuff! The best hat photos came from searching on 'crowd' and 'baseball'. Since most of the Shorpy's pics came from the Library of Congress archive, that's also a great place to look.

By 1925, the bowlers were gone. There's also a good crowd photo from a 1920 baseball game where the bowlers were also gone.

1925 at Griffith Stadium

27289u.preview.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1925 game hats

4290900165_3597fdf2cd_o.jpg

Generally wide brims of lighter color inside the park though a couple of black fuzzies. Hard to find a brim snapped down however. The 1912 photo was people on the street in their normal business attire checking out the progress rather than attending a game and also October in Washington.

NeilA

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:
It's the Saratoga crease!

SaratogaCrease.jpg
Saratoga.jpg

Brad

I find myself needing my drool cup every time I see one of these Ads for a hat. I know, I know inflation, but just seeing the $10 is enough to get those juices flowin. lol But seriously, is 10 bucks back then equivalant to the price we pay today for a good hat? I assume you're getting a good hat for $10 back then. I wonder if felters and hatters would make more if good hats didn't cost so much. I know Mr. Fawcet would be swamped to say the least if he could cut his prices to say half.

Well, I guess I ranted enough for now. Suppose that comes from lack of spendable cash. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot