Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1936 Bespoke Burberrys Equestrian Horse Riding Jacket

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Yeah....so much for dry humor on the interweb. :eek:

I was going to add (in jest) that the different mounts found on the two labels differentiated RTW (horse) from bespoke (unicorn) but thought better of it.

No intention to be snarky, just an observation. The 'unicorn' also has a beak of some sort, too, right? :D

Maybe a different label for US export?

Scott Whitney

New in Town
Thank you all very much, the information I have gleaned from this thread is amazing. You are all extremely knowledgeable in this subject. The size of the jacket is around a US 38-40, so a fairly small size. The jacket is in excellent condition besides the musty smell it emits. I'll try to add a few more pictures of the jacket within the next hour. As for the question asked on the first page, I do hope to contribute to other threads, I'm not sure how much I will be able to contribute, my knowledge in this area is not as developed as many of your's. Again, Your help and expertise is much appreciated.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
No intention to be snarky, just an observation. The 'unicorn' also has a beak of some sort, too, right? :D
No problem, my bad for not using an emoticon. Lazziness on my part as the phone I'm using makes posting most smilies a bit of a chore.:(

Scott Whitney

New in Town
IMG_1544_zps970301ab.jpg

IMG_1546_zpsd99c78db.jpg

IMG_1548_zpsce717162.jpg

IMG_1549_zps557d3bb0.jpg

IMG_1550_zpsf5dfc5a5.jpg

IMG_1551_zpsdb69bf93.jpg

IMG_1552_zps2d719146.jpg

IMG_1553_zpsdd5fda7d.jpg

IMG_1555_zps4838b879.jpg

The Second to last picture is where the sleeve material attaches to the lining and the last picture is the tag of one of the pairs of pants found with the jacket.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all very much, the information I have gleaned from this thread is amazing. You are all extremely knowledgeable in this subject. The size of the jacket is around a US 38-40, so a fairly small size. The jacket is in excellent condition besides the musty smell it emits. I'll try to add a few more pictures of the jacket within the next hour. As for the question asked on the first page, I do hope to contribute to other threads, I'm not sure how much I will be able to contribute, my knowledge in this area is not as developed as many of your's. Again, Your help and expertise is much appreciated.

No problem. You got a good response because that is a splendid jacket, in splendid condition. We don't see many genuine hacking jackets on the forum, so it's a pleasure to see such a nice one - especially one that can generate a bit of discussion.

I'd be interested to know about the flap with double buttons fixed to the interior pocket: maybe a detachable flap for buttoning the collar in bad weather?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I double checked the inside pocket of my Burberry coat and found a label just like the one shown (small plain white square, nothing printed on it, just handwritten details) to discover my coat appears to date to 1935. I shall try to remember that Burberry had a plain label for customer details.

pipvh

Practically Family
With the better pictures, I take back my reservations - the cloth looked wrong, but now it looks perfect, and the lining is spot on. Two Types, yes, I think it's a detachable 'chin strap.' I've had a few military coats with 'em.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Aha! So it is attached to the top of the rear vent...
I thought it was buttoned to the front, protecting the crotch of the rider or something like that.

To prevent the dirt getting on the trousers when the vent splays open.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I think the fact that the trousers have the makers label and date gives provenance to the jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
That flap is to keep the rider's butt warm while seated on the saddle.

My wife and I have a bunch of hacking jackets and hunt coats between us, but none has this feature. Even my 1953 Saville Row hunt coat is not so equipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou