Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s ~50s ties?

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Gents,

I have a number of Bold Look ties that I would like to add to my regular rotation. My question is how to wear them with modern shorter waist pants with out looking like a clown? I have a few vintage sets of high waist dress pants that ride where pants should (around navel) and the ties still appear to be a bit short.

Any suggestions other than tying them long in the front and very short in the back? Should I just go with it being shorter than a normal tie?

HeyMoe

Practically Family
first a question: why do you want to wear modern low rise trousers ?

I dont want too at all....problem is vintage ones in this area tend to be difficult to find in a good enough condition that they can be worn in a business setting. That said, I am slowly replacing my trousers with vintage as they wear out and I am able to find vintage at a reasonable price.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
if the problem is tie length then i would go with a more conservative (modern / classic) tie that suits the height of the modern trousers rather than trying to pair vintage bold look ties with modern low rise trousers.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Many of those vintage ties are just too dang short - I've heard them called belly-ticklers. I've always assumed they were for use with a vest, where the extra length of a normal tie is just not needed. The few I have I reserve for use with a vested suit, or at minimum with a 3-button jacket that I plan to keep closed. I bought a very slick vintage tie yesterday that (at best) reaches halfway to my belt --- even though it will get minimal wear, I just couldn't pass it up.

Attorneyatlaw

New in Town
Hey Moe, I haven't been on site for two years. My law partner and I are fanatics for 30s, 40s, 50s. I have been able to find great suits from Paul Frederick in the old styles. Fit perfectly. Not saying that is a solution to your question, but I have a closet full of those suits and ties. Reaaly look good with the double brested, two & three button jackets. They are made long in the old Gangster style. Also, pants legs are wider than the skinny leg pants like those at Jos A Banks. My problem is I can't find good shoes anymore. Footjoy, Ballards, Edwin Clapp,. Can someone out there lend a helping hand.

I think sometimes they were worn short. Sorry I couldn't find a better example, but hey - the ladies seem to dig it. I have seen old catalog illustrations that show neckties worn very short. Don't know how well this would work in a business setting, though.
I usually just tie them with the skinny end shorter and use a tie bar to keep them from flapping around. Then again, I am a plumber, so I NEVER wear mine for business.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380021063490.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380021063490.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 251

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, here are my 2 cents.

-Try a four in hand knot since it was the most common knot and also uses much less lenght of the tie.
-If you are concerned about the dress code in a business enviroment 40s bold look ties might be "too much" anyway. This shouldn't prevent you from wearing them for fun.
-When worn with modern suits the contrast between narrow lapel and wide tie would also bother me.
-Try to find 80-90s trousers if you are concerned about wearing valuable vintage pieces. They still had a high rise then and are far cheaper. I even got a pair of Abercrombie and Fitch chinos that are very high waisted. Unbelievable considering the skinny stuff the sell nowadays.
-If you got some funds you could also go made to measure and demand a higher rise on the trousers. Around here some people try to push the limits of mtm and order fancy suits. But just a well fitting suit with high rise trousers and medium lapel width will be very versatile imo.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I wear modern lower rise pants regularly, and sometimes also a vintage tie with them. Most of my ties fall between about 50 to 55 inches in length, so I understand that I'm wearing longer '50s and '60s ties for the most part, although still quite a bit shorter than modern ties. I can't tie a four-in-hand with a modern tie without it going past my belt. What I do to make them not look very short in relation to the low rise, is to have the short end higher up in the back when tying it. I think it ends up making the tie look a little narrower than it could've been intended to be worn as during the period, but for me it works.

Attorneyatlaw

New in Town
Gentlemen: I was at Wellesley College last week and two gentlen were having a conversation about suspenders. My question is are both button and clip suspenders okay to wear with suits? And why or why not?

Thanks in advance

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are asking this in a forum that is mainly focussed on 1920s to 1950s menswear. The answer would be that button suspenders/braces are to be preferred.
The clips can damage the fabric but I think mainly it is about style. Same reason as many men look down on clip on ties. [huh]

They are OK if you are inexperienced with suspenders and just want to try out if you like wearing them. I did this too but got rid of the clip ons after I got proper button sispenders. They are easy to find too.

Attorneyatlaw

New in Town
Thanks a million. I will keep that in mind, if I should ever go the suspender route, and will pass it on to the two gentlemen. One was a Kansas state senator and was dressed immaculately. Really seemed to know vintage clothes. He stated almost the same as you, about clip suspender.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Personally I don't think a shorter tie looks all that bad. Ties don't HAVE to touch the belt. That's just the norm these days. But I think a gap of three our four inches looks fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy