Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s-set Novels

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
That's a lovely little book!

Most of Mary Wesley's books - I'd start with The Chamomile Lawn.
Rosamunde Pilcher's The Shell Seekers (moves around a bit, but there is a good chunk of the action set in the 40s) and Coming Home.
Elizabeth Jane Howard's The Light Years, Marking Time, Confusion, Casting Off
And to keep you busy for quite some time, Anthony Powell's 12 volume Dance to the Music of Time, which goes from the early 30s to the mid 60s but spends most time in the 40s.
Excellent choices i'll second those, might have to dig out my Mary Wesley's again!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
R.F. Delderfield's two-volume The Avenue has been recommended to me in an Upstairs, Downstairs forum, although I have not read it yet. It covers life on a middle-class English suburban road between the late Teens and the late Forties.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
The early books by Eric Ambler:

The Dark Frontier (1936)
Uncommon Danger (1937)
Epitaph for a Spy (1938)
Cause for Alarm (1938)
The Mask of Dimitrios (1939)
Journey into Fear (1940)

Ok, ok...so most of them are actually pre-40's... ;)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
I strongly recommend this novel. I've read it myself several times. It's an excellent WWII homefront spy/espionage book and thrilling to read.

Just a note - It may be tricky to find. I'm not sure if it's still in print.

Also a Donald Sutherland movie.
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YMltjYtmu_k&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YMltjYtmu_k&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

BogartsHat

New in Town
Just finished reading Agatha Christie's They Came To Baghdad (1951). Now I'm reading Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks by John Curran. It's non-fiction, about the notebooks she used when plotting her novels, short stories and plays. Last week, I read two earlier Christie books but can't remember the titles! :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21